Dailey gone

While it is quite amusing watching some of you go back and forth, I will add this as my two cents worth.  Some of you claim not to pass judgement on a coach for one bad season, but then were on the bandwagon with the rest of the lynch mob looking for Frank Solich's head after the 2002 season.  Solich made some necessary changes and turned things around only to be fired one year later.  Other than some recruits, BC really hasn't changed much.  We will see if he gets things turned around this year.  The way things have transpired after the last two seasons, you almost hope its a gradual improvement rather than a quick one knowing how trigger happy pud is.   

You claim to be not concerned with pud's deception and practices.  At one time I really thought he was lying and was trying to deceive Husker Nation.  However, I have had a change of heart.  I think he is just that friggin stupid.  When he fired Solich, I don't think he had anyone in mind to coach the team.  At least Notre Dame had a guy in mind even though the deal fell through.  If Nutt was pud's man, then I have to ask; what in the hell were you thinking?  Nutt had the same record as BC this past year at a school where he's been the coach and recruiter of every player there.  Nutt is not a great coach.  He's not even a very good coach.

I am a fan and have always been a fan.  I remember the bowl games back in the late 80's and early early 90's when we got blown out by a Florida school.  I remember all of the jeering from the media claiming we didn't deserve to be in the high profile bowl games.  I remember the jeering about playing a weak non conference schedule.  LOL, well looking back at it we did it like KState.  I was in college when TO won his first National Championship.  In fact, we played for one every year I was there winning two of them.  I remember being embarrassed when the fans booed Berringer.  Even though I had graduated, I remember the fans booing Scott Frost.  The program has had a lot of ups and downs over the decades.  However, I don't recall as much separation between fans as we see now.  Pud seems to have the same affect on Husker Nation as Bush has on Nation.  Whether it's 50/50 or something else, it is easy to see Husker Nation is split.  We have those who will never be pleased with anything BC accomplishes, and we have those who see him as a welcomed blessing willing to overlook a few mistakes.  To me having Husker Nation split is not only embarrassing, it is also a big disappointment!

Another great post.

This is a little off topic, but I thought that my opinion was in the minority. I caught 1620 the Zone out of Omaha and their afternoon show. Some interesting things were said, and the comments from the fans that called in expressed opinions that were more closely related to me, than the ones that backed cally/pud. The hosts seemed to echo my sentiments, also.

They also said that there are a number of former players who feel that way, but dont express their opinions because they will be ostracized from the progam. Ones that have are not welcomed back at NU. Alot of them feel that the coaches dont respect that history and tradition of the progam, either.

If this is true or not, Im not sure, but Id bet that there is something to it.

Sorry, but Joe just wasn't good enough. He had an entire year to do the job, but he didn't. Nothing he did in 2004 warrants him getting the benefit of the doubt. And obviously he didn't impress during spring drills.

Also, Pederson didn't bring in BC to develop players. He brought in BC to win. NOW. That's the Husker way. So there is nothing untoward about Dailey falling down the depth charts.

Do I blame Dailey for being pissed? No. Do I blame BC and the staff for choosing ZT over Dailey? No.

Good Luck Joe, don't let the door hit you on the way out, and

GO HUSKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1.Also, Pederson didn't bring in BC to develop players.

2. He brought in BC to win. NOW.

3. That's the Husker way.

1. Thats obvious. :wacko:

2. What, :wtf I thought that he was here to improve recruiting, because he surely hasnt won anything.

3.Too bad cally doesnt know about, or care about, the Husker way.

numerouno - great post man. :)

FF - My gut feeling here (which sucks, since I was starting to feel really positive about the team's direction) is that JD got shafted. Player development is what a *college* coach does. It sounds like BC took the pro-line again and pushed for results without regard to teaching what's necessary.

I mean, it's one thing to bust on JD for not having the skills for this offense, but c'mon folks...where's he supposed to get them? Osmosis from watching Gannon on film? The things he's lacking in are 90% mental and can be taught.

This is not a dumb kid and I don't think anyone can fault his desire. So, unless there's some piece of his psychology that's just plain out preventing him from getting it, I would put this squarely on the shoulders of Norvell and BC and their (lack of) coaching. Doesn't anyone else think it odd JD can toss a spot-on 40 yarder on a rope, but dive a 7 yard hitch into the dirt? That kind of thing is correctable.

I've heard rumors he's considering Notre Dame as a transfer spot, and I would love to see the kid in Gold and Blue and find out what Cutcliffe and Weis (the two best QB coaches in the NCAA, bar none) can do with him. ND could definitely use a seasoned QB as a backup to Quinn if not someone who can compete for the start.

Washusker - I just have to bring this up...

Pederson didn't bring in BC to develop players. He brought in BC to win. NOW

How the heck is a college coach supposed to win if not by improving his players? Get free agents? (I doubt we want to be the Miami or FSU of the Midwest).

Player development is a college coach's *job*.

IRISH!

I heard on the radio last night that during a practice sometime in the past 2 weeks, during a coaches clinic, that Dailey was scrambling during a full contact drill. Norvell was on the sidelines yelling "Get the 1st down, do whatever you can!" Dailey took about 5 steps and ran out of bounds and didn't even get pushed by a defender. This was in front of hundreds of coaches and apparently Norvell was very, very upset w/Joe and soon after this happened Zac started getting just as many reps w/the 1's as Joe. I do want to point out again that I heard this on the radio so I can't confirm if it happened or not but it was eerily similar to the ending of the Southern Miss game last year, and if true I'm not surprised that JD fell to 4th string.

1.Also, Pederson didn't bring in BC to develop players.

2. He brought in BC to win.  NOW. 

3. That's the Husker way. 

1. Thats obvious. :wacko:

2. What, :wtf I thought that he was here to improve recruiting, because he surely hasnt won anything.

3.Too bad cally doesnt know about, or care about, the Husker way.

Callahan has ben here 1(one) year. Did you think he would have a bcs title with the scrap players that Solich left.No depth, none. I am repeating myself, we are in a new era of college football. As well as a new era of Husker ball , to an extenet. Do the words "be patient" or "give the coach a chance" mean anything to you. HELLO MCFLY. I know for the most part you are just venting YOUR feelings. If three years down the road the s**t hasnt got better, I will be standing beside you saying hes a reject. But after one year it is completely unfair to judge his ability. Constant atacks,never finding anything positive to say about this. Im glad that you are in a minority of people on this issue. Ten more of you would make me want to give up the internet. You speak of the Husker way. I know what your talking about. I think thats the reason that we are all fans.But things change. Hopefully we will be laughing about this in January when we have had a great year , and won our bowl.

I mean, it's one thing to bust on JD for not having the skills for this offense, but c'mon folks...where's he supposed to get them? Osmosis from watching Gannon on film? The things he's lacking in are 90% mental and can be taught.

C'mon Irish, you can't teach a kid to throw accurate passes. It's also really tough to teach a kid to read a defense and make multiple reads to 3 or 4 receivers each time. If these things were easily taught good QB's in the NFL would be a dime a dozen. Some kids have the skill, some don't. Zac has more than JD. The fact that he learned more of this offense and progressed quicker than Joe in such a short time says a lot about the skill each player posesses.

I mean, it's one thing to bust on JD for not having the skills for this offense, but c'mon folks...where's he supposed to get them? Osmosis from watching Gannon on film?  The things he's lacking in are 90% mental and can be taught.

C'mon Irish, you can't teach a kid to throw accurate passes. It's also really tough to teach a kid to read a defense and make multiple reads to 3 or 4 receivers each time. If these things were easily taught good QB's in the NFL would be a dime a dozen. Some kids have the skill, some don't. Zac has more than JD. The fact that he learned more of this offense and progressed quicker than Joe in such a short time says a lot about the skill each player posesses.

Hoya,

I would agree with you except for one thing...JD was not innacurate all the time. His problem was consistency.

This isn't a case of taking someone with no aptitude at all and turning him into Tom Brady or John Elway. This is a kid who was good enough to be recruited to a major Div-1A school, good enough to start last year, and good enough to break a few records doing it.

I think we both agree that the QB position is probably 90% mental. If this kid can take a full class load an UNL, get good grades, and still have time to practice, he's probably no dummy.

Given that he's smart, has a great attitude and work ethic and has pretty good athletic ability, where else could the problem lie except with how he was handled and taught?

Sure, naturl ability plays a part, however, would you not agree that reading defenses comes from repetition and preparation? There aren't too many people with an in-bred knowledge of what a cover-2 linebacker cheat looks like from under center. ;)

IRISH!

Hoya,

I would agree with you except for one thing...JD was not innacurate all the time. His problem was consistency.

This isn't a case of taking someone with no aptitude at all and turning him into Tom Brady or John Elway. This is a kid who was good enough to be recruited to a major Div-1A school, good enough to start last year, and good enough to break a few records doing it.

I think we both agree that the QB position is probably 90% mental. If this kid can take a full class load an UNL, get good grades, and still have time to practice, he's probably no dummy.

Given that he's smart, has a great attitude and work ethic and has pretty good athletic ability, where else could the problem lie except with how he was handled and taught?

Sure, naturl ability plays a part, however, would you not agree that reading defenses comes from repetition and preparation? There aren't too many people with an in-bred knowledge of what a cover-2 linebacker cheat looks like from under center. ;)

IRISH!

I agree that a lot of it is mental, but the skill and talent need to develop with the mental game in order for any player to be effective. Some players with incredible minds never see the field because they just don't have the skill, and vice versa. You can look at Nebraska's past QB's for instance. Tony Veland was one of the best HS QB's in the nation, but when he came in there was a guy named Frazier here that had more talent, and Veland switched positions and became a stud in the secondary. Bobby Newcombe was heralded as the next great Champion QB but a more talented kid from Omaha knocked him off. And just recently Curt Dukes came here to save the program, left the program for whatever reason and is playing fullback at Duke.

I'm judging this only from me being at the spring game and reading the practice reports, but the fact is that Zac seemed to have a better control over this offense than JD did. It's been reported that JD had trouble completing passes in the 7-7 drills and Zac would get on fire and rarely throw incompletions. I think the coaches have been more than fair and have seemed to invest many, many hours in JD and didn't get the results they were hoping for. I don't think Joe's a bad guy, and I really hope he has success wherever he goes. He just isn't the best QB for this offense. And I don't know if Zac is, but he appears better suited than Joe.

Hoya,

OK, so can you teach consistency? If anything that is gained from experience IMO.

If the coaching staff had no interest in Dailey from day 1, he wouldn't have seen the field. They could have stuck Davis in his place last year. Instead they spent all of last year working with him.

I don't know about anyone else, but now that I think about it, at most every post game press conference last year Joe just didn't really seem into it. Anyone else notice this?

Like I said before, I hope he does well. But I think these parting shots of sorts are frustration showing itself. He knows he is going to transfer and isn't going to have to deal with the coaches anymore, so why not? I know why not. The woe is me stuff kills me.

Irish,

It has been painfully clear since Joe played his first series at Nebraska, that he did not have the talent to be a Division 1 QB. I doubt in 2003 he played more than 8 minutes. He was recruited by Frank to be a more balanced attack QB. He did not have the body type to be a dominat option QB. His passing skills (lack of) were evident in 2003. Nebraska had the worst offensive production in over 50 years in 2003. If Frank felt he could run his offense or Barneys offense do you really belive he would only have seen the field for as little as he did? Frank knew he was not what he thought. He was along the lines of Jammal, just not as strong or durable. He had two NFL coaches working with him for over a year. He never developed the skills to be a passing QB.

He got every chance, and even in his own words felt he got a fair chance. I stated last year after the spring game he would not survie and he would not lead us to a good season. Mechanics, decessions, footwork, tunnel vision. These are things that can not be changed. I truly believe Norvell and BC worked with this kid every chance they could. He just does not have the ability.

I like Joe and feel he should leave. He loves the game and he needs to go somewhere he can play. I stated last year I thought he should be at a Division 2 school. That is where is talent lies. Heart, dedication, loyalty, character he has in spades. The ability to run any Divsion 1 program is not there in my oppinion and never was.

I mean, it's one thing to bust on JD for not having the skills for this offense, but c'mon folks...where's he supposed to get them? Osmosis from watching Gannon on film?  The things he's lacking in are 90% mental and can be taught.

I couldn't disagree with this statement enough. You can't teach a kid to throw an accurate pass???????? You most certainly can. "You can't teach a kid to read a defense??? WHat?? What can a coach do then???