Dailey gone

Hoya,

I would agree with you except for one thing...JD was not innacurate all the time.  His problem was consistency.

This isn't a case of taking someone with no aptitude at all and turning him into Tom Brady or John Elway. This is a kid who was good enough to be recruited to a major Div-1A school, good enough to start last year, and good enough to break a few records doing it.

I think we both agree that the QB position is probably 90% mental. If this kid can take a full class load an UNL, get good grades, and still have time to practice, he's probably no dummy.

Given that he's smart, has a great attitude and work ethic and has pretty good athletic ability, where else could the problem lie except with how he was handled and taught?

Sure, naturl ability plays a part, however, would you not agree that reading defenses comes from repetition and preparation? There aren't too many people with an in-bred knowledge of what a cover-2 linebacker cheat looks like from under center. ;)

IRISH!

I agree that a lot of it is mental, but the skill and talent need to develop with the mental game in order for any player to be effective. Some players with incredible minds never see the field because they just don't have the skill, and vice versa. You can look at Nebraska's past QB's for instance. Tony Veland was one of the best HS QB's in the nation, but when he came in there was a guy named Frazier here that had more talent, and Veland switched positions and became a stud in the secondary. Bobby Newcombe was heralded as the next great Champion QB but a more talented kid from Omaha knocked him off. And just recently Curt Dukes came here to save the program, left the program for whatever reason and is playing fullback at Duke.

I'm judging this only from me being at the spring game and reading the practice reports, but the fact is that Zac seemed to have a better control over this offense than JD did. It's been reported that JD had trouble completing passes in the 7-7 drills and Zac would get on fire and rarely throw incompletions. I think the coaches have been more than fair and have seemed to invest many, many hours in JD and didn't get the results they were hoping for. I don't think Joe's a bad guy, and I really hope he has success wherever he goes. He just isn't the best QB for this offense. And I don't know if Zac is, but he appears better suited than Joe.

First the circumstances with Zac at Wake are totally different in many ways. Zach was recruited into a pass happy offense to find out when he got here they were changing to a power ground and play action offense. Second, Zac was not a captain and was never even considered a contender for playing time or have much service at the time as a back up.

Although Joe was recruited by the previous staff, it was not for his legs. Joe was a moderately considered dual threat Qb even though he ran a passing offense in high school. Not option. The only reason he decommitted from Syracuse was he was assured by the previous staff that Nebraska was headed for a more balance pro style offense where Joe could showcase his passing abilities. No one was happier to see Callahan arrive than Joe Dailey. Callahan gave him the RIGHT to throw 40 times a game, he just doesn't have the ABILITY. For whatever reason.

Your opinion on a contradiction means that we would only have one QB this year, the back ups may as well all transfer. Joe could have been a valuable part of this team and with a little luck (remember: luck is when preparation meets opportunity) Joe may have gotten a chance to showcase his abilities again here and prove me wrong. As it is, we'll never know now.

This is not a dumb kid and I don't think anyone can fault his desire. So, unless there's some piece of his psychology that's just plain out preventing him from getting it, I would put this squarely on the shoulders of Norvell and BC and their (lack of) coaching.  Doesn't anyone else think it odd JD can toss a spot-on 40 yarder on a rope, but dive a 7 yard hitch into the dirt? That kind of thing is correctable.

So what does this say about Turner Gill and Solich? They had Jammal Lord for 5 years and he still had trouble completing the five yard pass. Does this mean they didn't coach him very well?

Also what College QB has Weiss coached to garner the "Best QB Coach in the Nation"? I thought you were one of the dudes that always say "What works in the Pros doesn't work in College." Did you see the USA Today article about Weiss' playbook being twice the size as Willinghams? Kind of put a dent in the making things easier for the kids arguement.

Anyway back to the topic. I hope Joe can find a place where he is comfortable. IMO it should be D-2 or 1AA.

I couldn't disagree with this statement enough. You can't teach a kid to throw an accurate pass???????? You most certainly can. "You can't teach a kid to read a defense??? WHat?? What can a coach do then???

If it was able to be taught in a year, Joe would have learned. This is something that takes years of honing to perfect. I don't see many kids ride the pine in H.S. and go to college and "study and practice" passing and turn into great QB's.

ETR, are you saying if we gave Joe a year, and he practiced twice as long as Taylor every day, that he'd be a more accurate passer next year? Dailey was here a year longer than Taylor. Why can Taylor make throws that Dailey can't, is it the coaches' fault?

This is not a dumb kid and I don't think anyone can fault his desire. So, unless there's some piece of his psychology that's just plain out preventing him from getting it, I would put this squarely on the shoulders of Norvell and BC and their (lack of) coaching.  Doesn't anyone else think it odd JD can toss a spot-on 40 yarder on a rope, but dive a 7 yard hitch into the dirt? That kind of thing is correctable.

So what does this say about Turner Gill and Solich? They had Jammal Lord for 5 years and he still had trouble completeing the five yard pass. Does this mean they didn't coach him very well?

Well, first off - Lord was not really in a position to be a big-time passer. However, he maintained a 100+ passer rating his entire time playing at UNL and his completion pct. was consistent with both Crouch's and Frost's (+/- 8 pct).

Not to mention, Lord's total yards and avg per completion was second to only Frost in '96 for the Solich era. I wouldn't call him a failure by any means, I think.

That's neither here nor there though.

One thing I recall from last year is this strange deja vu with ND under Ty and Davie - rush, rush, incomplete pass, punt. Sound familiar?

I only saw a couple of games last year, but when I watched the KSU game, JD was repeatedly put into a situation where he was forced to make the play right into the teeth of a defense that knew it was coming. Ross run 1 yard. Ross run 2 yards. Daily pass on 3rd and 7. Gee, what will they do? :blink:

He burned them a couple of times early, but they adjusted by the half and the playcalling didn't. I think a lot of what made the kid look bad last year was just that - bad playcalling and bad positions (similar to the blitzes in the spring game...that seems to have been overlooked here).

Also what College QB has Weiss coached to garner the "Best QB Coach in the Nation"?  I thought you were one of the dudes that always says "What works in the Pros doesn't work in College."  Did you see the USA Today article about Weiss' playbook being twice the size as Willinghams?  Can of put a dent in the making things easier for the kids arguement.

I am one of those dudes still - but this is teaching/coaching, and not play calling or play books. A read is a read. Footwork is footwork. Timing is timing.

And yes, they do have a larger playbook, but I think this quote from Sr. WR Rhema McKnight in yesterday's ND Observer sums up what I mean:

"Coach Weis, he finds ways to make it easier for us. I'd like to commend him actually, because most people wouldn't be able to pick up on it, but he finds his way to get it into our heads that is not that difficult."

Coaching is teaching, isn't it? And I'm just not sold on BC as a teacher (though, admittedly, he's got a pretty good assistant staff so he might not need to be too hands on).

As for Weis & Co.'s credentials as QB coaches (I included Cutcliffe in the first comment, by the way) I would say Brady and both Mannings are good success stories, wouldn't you? I mean, going from 6th round draft pick to Superbowl MVP in 3 seasons means someone is doing something right.

Anyway back the the topic.  I hope Joe can find a place where he is comfortable.  IMO it should be D-2 or 1AA.

But dammit! I like Joe! :horns2:

hehe...I knew I was going to get beat up on this topic. I just can't find any other explanation for JD's demise here except that the staff gave up on him.

If he goes to a 1AA or II school and bombs out, or Taylor tears it up this season, then I'll sit corrected.

By the same token, if he does well or Taylor bombs, I hope you all will perhaps consider what I'm saying in a different light. ;)

IRISH!

My question for Dailey is that did he really belive that he was better then the incomming talent? After how he played last year, did he really believe that he was going to start again. This isn;t very captain LEADERSHIP of him, to say things about your coach like that no matter what has happend. Joe had all the opportunities in the world to show that he could get it done and he flat out did not. So for me it's no surprise that he's decided to leave. But once franks recruits are gone I believe this team will be better off. Because we will have guys that want to play for these coaches and that want to flat out just play some football!

EXACTLY, WELL SAID PILLEN!!!

Well, first off - Lord was not really in a position to be a big-time passer. However, he maintained a 100+ passer rating his entire time playing at UNL and his completion pct. was consistent with both Crouch's and Frost's (+/- 8 pct).

Dailey had a QB rateing of 110 last year so that stat isn't really as telling in the College game as the NFL. Also there is a big difference between a 55% passer and a 48% passer. Crouch was a 48% passer his freshman year and got to 55% his Senior.

One thing I recall from last year is this strange deja vu with ND under Ty and Davie - rush, rush, incomplete pass, punt. Sound familiar?

That could be said about the 03 season also. The only difference was the D carried the team.

He burned them a couple of times early, but they adjusted by the half and the playcalling didn't. I think a lot of what made the kid look bad last year was just that - bad playcalling and bad positions.

Why is it never put on the player? It isn't all the playcalling and coaching. Some is, but sooner or later the player needs to step up.

As for Weis & Co.'s credentials as QB coaches (I included Cutcliffe in the first comment, by the way) I would say Brady and both Mannings are good success stories, wouldn't you? I mean, going from 6th round draft pick to Superbowl MVP in 3 seasons means someone is doing something right.

I said "College" yet you used Brady as an example. Didn't Billy C turn Journeyman gannon into the MVP of the NFL? I think Tedford, Leach, and the OL' Ball coach down in S. Carolina are pretty good College QB coaches.

I just can't find any other explanation for JD's demise here except that the staff gave up on him.

I think he was overhyped and could never live up to the views of the fans. People hated Lord so bad they mistook JD for Frazier. Was he even really that good in 03? I didn't thik he was. He tried and it didn't work out. Hopefully he will find a better place to play for his sake.

I don't want to formerfan this thread so this is it for me. You can have the last word. :thumbs

I think he's a good enough athlete to succeed in a number of systems if all it took was athletic ability. He can run, although his shoulder injuries lead to durability questions and he had trouble protecting the with contact. He also had a decent arm for throwing and touch. Certainly not astrong arm, but it wasn't a Micky Joseph arm either. I think his problems in the passing game boiled down to decision making. Unless he's in a system that is far more intuitive for him when it comes to decision making, I think he'll struggle to succeed at the major college level of football.

anyone else noticing Dailey's ex-high coach burning a couple bridges on the way out. For a coach with so many "connections" and 23 years of experince is this smart?

I think that the coach is shooting his mouth off a little bit too much. What sort of connections does he have? I know he is from Jersey, so maybe he is a Soprano? :lol: Who cares what this bozo thinks? I'd say he is rather fortunate to have lasted as long as he has if this is how he "makes connections."

I said "College" yet you used Brady as an example. Didn't Billy C turn Journeyman gannon into the MVP of the NFL? I think Tedford, Leach, and the OL' Ball coach down in S. Carolina are pretty good College QB coaches.

Not to split hairs, but was billy c. Gannons qb coach???

Either way, I think that Gannon did pretty well under Gruden, too.

Not to split hairs, but was billy c. Gannons qb coach???

Either way, I think that Gannon did pretty well under Gruden, too.

Callahan was the offensive coordinator for Gannon from 1999-2001 and his head coach in '02. Don't try and turn Gruden into the mastermind. The Buccaneers have been carried by the defense since he arrived there with the offense lacking very far behind.