Bill Callahan

I don't think Bill is big on keeping in contact with former players. Don't really know and it's just a hunch. Can you think of one former player, college or pro, that has every credited him?

Yes.

God, the BC hate around here. He didn't work out. He couldn't win here. Both he and Nebraska have moved on. He is neither a terrible person, nor a terrible coach. The senseless anti-BC sentiment is just unfounded.

Really? He did everything in his power to destroy this program and it's traditions, and didn't care what ANYONE thought.

If there's any hate or dislike directed at Callahan, he earned every damn bit of it.

Don't get Billy C confused with Steve Pederson.

My idea is that maybe....just maybe,....Billy C has a human side of him and was tuned in, to watch the kids that he recruited and guided for the past 4 years. Maybe, and shocking to some of you, that he might still care about these kids enough to pick up a phone and give a congratulations to. :dunno

Believe me, I don't have them confused.........they were the "toxic twins" of Nebraska football.

What one didn't do to screw things up, it seemed the other one did.

And Zoogies, I can do without the sarcasm.

We all have our opinions and we just aren't gonna agree on this one.

Really? He did everything in his power to destroy this program and it's traditions, and didn't care what ANYONE thought.

If there's any hate or dislike directed at Callahan, he earned every damn bit of it.

Yes, I am sure that is exactly what he set out to do. He sat down and said, "OK, let's see. I'm HC here, but I just really don't like this place, for some reason. So I will tear this program down. I want to lose every game and set this program back fifty years. I might not be able to pull it off, but dammit, I'll try." :roll:

He had his way of doing things, and he was not a good fit here at Nebraska, but he tried his best and in the end couldn't get the W's that he needed. Bottom line. But you know what, he did set us up with what we have now on that vaunted offense we all love. You think we'd be here without Callahan stocking our O-line, instituting the WCO, and guys like Taylor, Keller, and Ganz? What about all the community-related events that Callahan put out there?

Don't give all the credit to Watson, by the way. Watson is another one of the guys who gushes about Callahan. He's learned a lot under him and passes off a lot of the credit to his teacher.

Funny that you mention Watson because it was reported on one of the local Omaha sports radio stations that even though Watson considers Calllllllahan a "close friend," BC has not tried to contact Watson since he was fired.

I agree with the other poster that BC didn't give a damn about Nebraska and was only here because he got fired and needed a job. Many of the things he said about us being "Sand-hillbillies" "Reading a real newspaper" "Crusty old f@*k" etc. show exactly what his level of appreciation and understanding for Nebraska are. He will always be tied to Pederson, the two have almost morphed into one ugly creature.

Yes, I am sure that is exactly what he set out to do. He sat down and said, "OK, let's see. I'm HC here, but I just really don't like this place, for some reason. So I will tear this program down. I want to lose every game and set this program back fifty years. I might not be able to pull it off, but dammit, I'll try." :roll:

He had his way of doing things, and he was not a good fit here at Nebraska, but he tried his best and in the end couldn't get the W's that he needed. Bottom line. But you know what, he did set us up with what we have now on that vaunted offense we all love. You think we'd be here without Callahan stocking our O-line, instituting the WCO, and guys like Taylor, Keller, and Ganz? What about all the community-related events that Callahan put out there?

Don't give all the credit to Watson, by the way. Watson is another one of the guys who gushes about Callahan. He's learned a lot under him and passes off a lot of the credit to his teacher.

Funny that you mention Watson because it was reported on one of the local Omaha sports radio stations that even though Watson considers Calllllllahan a "close friend," BC has not tried to contact Watson since he was fired.

I agree with the other poster that BC didn't give a damn about Nebraska and was only here because he got fired and needed a job. Many of the things he said about us being "Sand-hillbillies" "Reading a real newspaper" "Crusty old f@*k" etc. show exactly what his level of appreciation and understanding for Nebraska are. He will always be tied to Pederson, the two have almost morphed into one ugly creature.

:yeah

Callahan didn't call us "sand hillbillies" you are thinking about what he called the OU fans in 04.

its not a matter of who he called what, its a matter of him being completely classless. the guy was a cancer on not only the football program but the perception of the university as a whole. there is nothing he did for the greater good of the program while he was here, other than reinforcing the standards and values of the Nebraska program as a whole to those in charge of its caretaking, making us realize why we are who we are, and that megalomaniacs like billyc wont get far in the hearts of the fans in this state. when other teams fans are hoping and praying we dont fire the guy, theres obviously a problem. though i think he is extremely smart, i would be seriously suprised if a guy of his stubborn, flawed typed-A demeanor has any interest what so ever with anything involving his failure at Nebraska other than learning from his mistakes and moving on. and hopefully professional enough to not bother trying to have contact with anyone on the team.

Truthfully there are a good deal of players in the NFL that played while under Bill Callahan.

Adam Carriker, Jay Moore, Josh Bullocks, Bo Ruud, Zackary Bowman, Stewart Bradley, Steve Octavien, Carlos Polk, Scott Shanle, Maurice Purify. I might be missing a few more, but for the most part those are the big names i remember that stick out in my head, im pretty sure Callahan doesnt call them, but im sure Nebraska still calls them and ask them to stop by and speak to the new recruits coming in or wanting to join up. I wont say Callahan was bad at picking talent, because thats not true, he just didnt know how to get them to perform at their top levels, motivating them, and play-calling.

You could definately tell what kind of team Callahan was running when Bo took them against Oklahoma and the team looked dead to the world. I didnt like how the Husker faces looked during the first quarter of that game, but i loved the job that Bo did getting in their faces to keep them from giving up. Callahan would have never done that, he would have sat on the sidelines along with them looking like he gave up with them.

But enough talk about Callahan, thats in the past time to look forward to the Bo Era.

Truthfully there are a good deal of players in the NFL that played while under Bill Callahan.

Adam Carriker, Jay Moore, Josh Bullocks, Bo Ruud, Zackary Bowman, Stewart Bradley, Steve Octavien, Carlos Polk, Scott Shanle, Maurice Purify. I might be missing a few more, but for the most part those are the big names i remember that stick out in my head, im pretty sure Callahan doesnt call them, but im sure Nebraska still calls them and ask them to stop by and speak to the new recruits coming in or wanting to join up. I wont say Callahan was bad at picking talent, because thats not true, he just didnt know how to get them to perform at their top levels, motivating them, and play-calling.

You could definately tell what kind of team Callahan was running when Bo took them against Oklahoma and the team looked dead to the world. I didnt like how the Husker faces looked during the first quarter of that game, but i loved the job that Bo did getting in their faces to keep them from giving up. Callahan would have never done that, he would have sat on the sidelines along with them looking like he gave up with them.

But enough talk about Callahan, thats in the past time to look forward to the Bo Era.

FYI, neither Polk or Shanle played for Calllllllahan, and the only 3 on that list who were recruited by BC were Octavian, Purify, amd Bowman. The rest were all recruited by Solich.

Yea, don't be dramatic or anything :wacko:

I heard him and Pedey had secret meetings in Misty's basement, plotting what they could do next to "destroy this program and it's traditions". Good thing he got fired when he did. I heard he was going to change to black uniforms! :cowbell::cowbell:

Yea, don't be dramatic or anything :wacko:

I heard him and Pedey had secret meetings in Misty's basement, plotting what they could do next to "destroy this program and it's traditions". Good thing he got fired when he did. I heard he was going to change to black uniforms! :cowbell::cowbell:

Me dramatic? No buddy, I was being very serious.........and is a good thing they got fired.

And it wouldn't surprise me at all if Pedey and Billy met in Misty's basement.....................for "meetings". :wacko: