Cody Green=Tyrell Pryor?

Keep in mind Terrelle Pryor was the number 1 recruit overall last year. Cody Green is ranked as the #10 dual-threat QB. To expect Green to have the kind of year Pryor had as a freshman (actually kind of mediocre -- should have kept Boeckman in the mix) is asking a lot from a guy who shredded his ankle. Add to that the natural animosity (it's pretty clear most of the players on Ohio State do not like Pryor) from veteran players and he needs to sit.

How is it clear that most of the veteran Ohio State players do not like Pryor?

You can see it in the way they play and interact with the guy. Boeckman was well liked and the seniors on the team felt like he got a raw deal.

Anyway, :backtotopic

Granted he might have a ways to go in the passing game, but would Watson consider playing Green in some kind of "Wild Husker" formation?

I think you meant Wild/Crazy Cob/Corn formation. :)

If we keep landing kids like Cody Green, then the next several years are going to be very good times for Huskers around the world.

I hope he isnt a Terrell Pryor...I really, really dislike Pryor's decision making and throwing abilities. Not to mention the guy ran out of bounds a few times when he could have easily picked up and extra 5-7 yards.

I can only hope that Cody Green will be Cody Green and some other teams and other boards will make comparisons with their incoming recruits, saying Recruit X=Cody Green?

I am really in love with the way this guy plays football. When he does run the ball he takes huge strides, much like Vince Young. I am just ready for the spring game to see what he's got. I, for one, think he is going to be a baller.

I agree!! Pryor looked horrible throwing the ball and his running decisions were not all that impressive. Yes, he had a couple of extended runs but only because Texas looked like they forgot how to tackle. I hope Green is nothing like Pryor or Young for that matter either (except for the NC part)!! Young threw the ball just as bad if not worse than Pryor during his days at Texas but he did make up for it with better decisions on the run.

Actually, the competition Cody played against is pretty horrid. Cody's side of the 4A fence did not have teams in it like Lake Travis, Longview or Friendswood.

Cody happened to meet up with the Jacob Karam led Friendswood squad during the season and had by far his worst game of the season. He finished the game 21-46 with 2 INTs. Dayton's leading rusher finished the game with 1 rushing yard. Dayton was beaten 42-21.

And if you look at the stats from that game, you can see AJ Dugat had 7 catches for 150+ yards. But the thing is, he averaged 21+ ypc. In Dayton's offense, that is damm near impossible considering their offense is quick one read, short passing routes that relies heavily on their receivers to gain YAC. This again shows how beastly Dugat was for Dayton this past year.

You can go on to the state semis where they met up with a Kerrville Tivy team that allowed 30+ ppg on the year. A team that allows that much in the state semis?

Then the state finals where the final score was 69-49. Yes, 118 total points scored by the best two teams in the 4A D2 state finals. Not exactly glowing about the type of competition, eh?

I'll say it again, Cody CAN be a great QB, but everyone needs to temper their enthusiasm for a few years. Cody is a baby in terms of his development and he needs to be treated as such while he learns the finer points of the position.

I don't understand your point about the high scoring state championship showing low competition. If Oklahoma beats Florida 52-51 on Thursday, does that mean neither team is any good? Maybe you were implicitly making the point about the defenses only.

You clearly know a lot more about high school football than I do, but I still maintain that the class Green played in has a higher level of competition than the class Pryor played in. And Green's numbers were more impressive. Let's hope Green's toughness and will to win is considerably greater than Pryor's. But I don't expect Cody Green to start or even play next year. I expect him to redshirt and compete for the job in 2010. And of course he has plenty to work on (nearly all incoming freshmen do) but if his attitude is right, he has the tools to be something special.

Of course, not even the most skilled talent analyst has any clue how Cody Green will turn out. Maybe he'll be the next Turner Gill (legend), the next Curt Dukes (complete bust) or just the next Jammal Lord (somewhere in between). There are a million factors. Since he isn't likely to take a snap for at least another 606 days, I'll gladly imagine him as a future All-American. Because what would my life be worth if I couldn't spend my time fantasizing about 18-year-old males? :corndance

Keep in mind Terrelle Pryor was the number 1 recruit overall last year. Cody Green is ranked as the #10 dual-threat QB. To expect Green to have the kind of year Pryor had as a freshman (actually kind of mediocre -- should have kept Boeckman in the mix) is asking a lot from a guy who shredded his ankle. Add to that the natural animosity (it's pretty clear most of the players on Ohio State do not like Pryor) from veteran players and he needs to sit.

How is it clear that most of the veteran Ohio State players do not like Pryor?

You can see it in the way they play and interact with the guy. Boeckman was well liked and the seniors on the team felt like he got a raw deal.

Anyway, :backtotopic

Granted he might have a ways to go in the passing game, but would Watson consider playing Green in some kind of "Wild Husker" formation?

I think you meant Wild/Crazy Cob/Corn formation. :)

If we keep landing kids like Cody Green, then the next several years are going to be very good times for Huskers around the world.

I think Crazy Maize has a nice ring to it, if not for the Michigan connotations. Crazy Cob sounds kinda cool too.

Actually, the competition Cody played against is pretty horrid. Cody's side of the 4A fence did not have teams in it like Lake Travis, Longview or Friendswood.

Cody happened to meet up with the Jacob Karam led Friendswood squad during the season and had by far his worst game of the season. He finished the game 21-46 with 2 INTs. Dayton's leading rusher finished the game with 1 rushing yard. Dayton was beaten 42-21.

And if you look at the stats from that game, you can see AJ Dugat had 7 catches for 150+ yards. But the thing is, he averaged 21+ ypc. In Dayton's offense, that is damm near impossible considering their offense is quick one read, short passing routes that relies heavily on their receivers to gain YAC. This again shows how beastly Dugat was for Dayton this past year.

You can go on to the state semis where they met up with a Kerrville Tivy team that allowed 30+ ppg on the year. A team that allows that much in the state semis?

Then the state finals where the final score was 69-49. Yes, 118 total points scored by the best two teams in the 4A D2 state finals. Not exactly glowing about the type of competition, eh?

I'll say it again, Cody CAN be a great QB, but everyone needs to temper their enthusiasm for a few years. Cody is a baby in terms of his development and he needs to be treated as such while he learns the finer points of the position.

I don't understand your point about the high scoring state championship showing low competition. If Oklahoma beats Florida 52-51 on Thursday, does that mean neither team is any good? Maybe you were implicitly making the point about the defenses only.

You clearly know a lot more about high school football than I do, but I still maintain that the class Green played in has a higher level of competition than the class Pryor played in. And Green's numbers were more impressive. Let's hope Green's toughness and will to win is considerably greater than Pryor's. But I don't expect Cody Green to start or even play next year. I expect him to redshirt and compete for the job in 2010. And of course he has plenty to work on (nearly all incoming freshmen do) but if his attitude is right, he has the tools to be something special.

Of course, not even the most skilled talent analyst has any clue how Cody Green will turn out. Maybe he'll be the next Turner Gill (legend), the next Curt Dukes (complete bust) or just the next Jammal Lord (somewhere in between). There are a million factors. Since he isn't likely to take a snap for at least another 606 days, I'll gladly imagine him as a future All-American. Because what would my life be worth if I couldn't spend my time fantasizing about 18-year-old males? :corndance

It does not mean either are no good, but it likely means neither are as good as originally thought. If teams can get exposed to the tune of allowing 45+ point games and still win, are they the best TEAM or do they just have more offensive firepower than the other?

That is where competition comes in.

Why do you think the B12 gets the rap sheet it does? People see tons of scoring, but little defense. Nebraska for example -- big time offense playing in this conference. Looks average at best playing against players with speed defenses like Clemson.

It's happened in the past when we played USC x2, Auburn, VA Tech and Wake. And those are just our stronger OOC games in recent years.

Same for Cody's side of the 4A bracket. Big MoC playing his side of the 4A fence, but once he slides over to the D1 side of 4A, he took a beating.

And comparing Cody Green to Terrelle Pryor would be like comparing Nate Swift to Randy Moss. Surprisingly, Swift is athletic in his own right, but nowhere in the league of Moss who is just a rare breed.

The thing is with Pryor he is one of those once in a decade type athletes playing the QB position. While Cody is athletic, he is nowhere near in the same league as Pryor when it comes to making plays with his feet. And that is nothing to be ashamed of, at all.

A better comparison would be a Juice Williams or even a Brad Smith. Both were rough around the edges as a passer, but more than adequate with their feet.

Alright so im not one for comparisons. but as i watched the fiesta bowl this evening pryor is a stud running the ball. if he could get down the throwing part and decision making hes going to find himself heisman hopeful real quick.

I think we might have a similar kid in cody green. only hes spose to be able to throw the ball! take notes watson. could be the star were waiting for. any thoughts?

Personally I hope/think he will be better.Pryor is not a good passer at all.Of course Pryor does run a 4.3 40 and thats something Green will never have BUT 4.5ish is plenty fast ESPECIALLY if his arm is as accurate as it looks.holla

I remember a time hearing how Frankie London was going to be the next Tommie Frazier.

Exactly and lets not forgot about how everyone wet there pants over Curt Dukes, Harrison Beck, Josh Freeman and Blaine Gabbert. People need to relax on there expectations because some get so disillusioned that these kids can never live up to there standards.

Thats why I've always felt bad for Lucky. He's had a great career at Nebraska but because he came in with so much hype and hoopla many consider him as a bust.

How bout we wait till they finish there college careers or at least step on campus before we start comparing and judging them.

Thats why I've always felt bad for Lucky. He's had a great career at Nebraska but because he came in with so much hype and hoopla many consider him as a bust.

I guess that is another thing, why I bristled at the high expectations. It is fine to dream about a player's future success all you want, but don't turn and bag him when he doesn't live up to them. Husker fans have dogged on Lucky way more than he ever deserved, even after a fine career here at Nebraska.