All Time Greatest Husker Ever: Cast your vote now

..ok ok, so i saw this on another board(where you have to PAY-i say screw that!)

so i just thought i'd get everyone's opinions here....

Only, this time don't base it on just contributions to the football team during the season, but also the program as a whole, sports(all husker sports)in general, and community and/or society.

..Lemme hear what ya have to say.....

FWIW, my pick is.......

Brooke Berringer

Not only was he the go-to-guy when Fraziahhhh went down w/ the blood clots, but he meant so much to the community with al of his visits to the hospitals, as well as the award that was named after him given to a football player at the end of each season now.....I can still remember the exact moment I found out about his plane crash...i darn near broke down, and i was like....oh, 13 or so?..that guy was my hero, and in some aspects, still is.

after re-reading your post, im still confused. contributions as a whole, I'd have to go with Brook as well, my favorite piece of memorabilia is a framed poster of him with a note from his mother I received after writing her a letter after his death. The way he carried himself was extremely influential on me in my formative years.

just a thought--you say greatest "Husker" ever, do you mean just players? its in the football forum, so I assume you mean someone with ties to that program, but a dapper man named Tom Osborne is a Husker in my book, and would get my overall nod.

Edited by mmmtodd

after re-reading your post, im still confused. contributions as a whole, I'd have to go with Brook as well, my favorite piece of memorabilia is a framed poster of him with a note from his mother I received after writing her a letter after his death. The way he carried himself was extremely influential on me in my formative years.

just a thought--you say greatest "Husker" ever, do you mean just players? its in the football forum, so I assume you mean someone with ties to that program, but a dapper man named Tom Osborne is a Husker in my book, and would get my overall nod.

..when i said "Husker" ..yes, has to have ties to the football program, BUT not necessarily have played for the team, could be a coach, huskervision assistant :horns2 ..or whatever..just has to have SOME tie in with the football program(none of the "my cousins' brothers' uncles' grandpa type thing)

...i was close to picking Will Shields or Kenny Walker, but I gave Brooke the nod.....yes i know what Tommy did on the field, but did he really contribute off it?..what did he do in the community, or even...what kind of legacy outside of "husker football" has he left?

My favorite Husker is and always will be Brook Berringer!!

I even named my daughter after him, and she loves the Huskers

n17008953_37727581_7914.jpg

Brooke Taryn, Me, and My Dad watching the Husker's beat Clemson.

But All-Time Greatest Husker, I would have to say Tommie Frazier. He played with the intensity, heart and athletic ability that few could match. He was ahead of his time and it's too bad because if he played today nobody would be talking about Vince Young, Tim Tebow, or Robert Griffin, they would all be oogling over Frazier. That dude was amazing, just wish he was healthier.

..ok ok, so i saw this on another board(where you have to PAY-i say screw that!)

Only, this time don't base it on just contributions to the football team during the season, but also the program as a whole, sports(all husker sports)in general, and community and/or society.

FWIW, my pick is.......

Brooke Berringer

Not only was he the go-to-guy when Fraziahhhh went down w/ the blood clots, but he meant so much to the community with al of his visits to the hospitals, as well as the award that was named after him given to a football player at the end of each season now.....I can still remember the exact moment I found out about his plane crash...i darn near broke down, and i was like....oh, 13 or so?..that guy was my hero, and in some aspects, still is.

Berringer did not have the numbers to rank as one of the best QB's, let alone the best Husker. The biggest reason he gets the attention that he does is because of his untimely death. Let's be honest. If your going to make a case for him, throw some numbers in that mean something. There have been a lot of Huskers that have been emotional favorites through the years, and he did do some community work, but when it comes to the numbers, and what he actually did on the field, the numbers are just not there. If we had not had the year that we did the year that he died, we would have never had the attention paid to him that there was.

Somehow this conversation comes up every now and then, and as much as I don't like to talk ill of the dead, I cannot just let someone be put someone on a list of the greatest without showing why he needs to be there other than just emotional reasoning. Everyone loved Brooke for his heart, but when it comes to numbers, or his contributions on the field, there have been a lot of Huskers that have put up better numbers, or even been emotional leaders of their team. Just because a person has an untimely death does not make them an instant icon. Brooke IMHO would not have never started in the NFL, he was another QB that was adequate in the college ranks, but did not have the natural talent needed to go beyond that. He also had a good supporting cast around him - we didn't win just because of his play. We had a good defense that year. He contributed, he had a lot of heart, but he was only one part of the offense. There were other players that contributed as much or more than he did.

So, I respectfully disagree with your assessment that Brook Berringer was the Greatest Husker. Tommy Frazier put up better stats in the way of numbers, and had just as much if not more heart. It would be hard to pick one Husker as being the "greatest"...it isn't like we could line them all up and see at the end of the day who was the best, they played different times, teams, and had different supporting casts around them. If you want to go by the record books, you then would have to decide if you were going by career stats, season stats, or what they did beyond their college career. You also couldn't overlook the defensive players, because we have had some real monsters there.

I go way back and have seen a lot of Huskers play. The great ones, with many accolades, the great ones in our eyes that some did not appreciate as much as we did, but the one that always sticks out to me as being the greatest Husker, the kid I most admired, did the most with the least in supposed ability, size, speed and other intangibles, is Cory Ross. I have never seen anyone who wanted to win more, gave more of himself and gave to his team.

I have admired that kid for along time. I can not think of another one that showed the grit, the determination that he did. He is and was a Husker in the truest sense. What ever the odds, the injuries, he was there, giving everything he had from start to finish.

Every parent should have a child like that. I can only imagine what he could have done with a team like some of our greats had around them. He was an island, and willed this team to win in spite of coaching and the talent that surrounded him.

Off the :boxosoap

FWIW, my pick is.......

Brooke Berringer

Berringer did not have the numbers to rank as one of the best QB's, let alone the best Husker. The biggest reason he gets the attention that he does is because of his untimely death. Let's be honest. If your going to make a case for him, throw some numbers in that mean something. There have been a lot of Huskers that have been emotional favorites through the years, and he did do some community work, but when it comes to the numbers, and what he actually did on the field, the numbers are just not there. If we had not had the year that we did the year that he died, we would have never had the attention paid to him that there was.

Somehow this conversation comes up every now and then, and as much as I don't like to talk ill of the dead, I cannot just let someone be put someone on a list of the greatest without showing why he needs to be there other than just emotional reasoning. Everyone loved Brooke for his heart, but when it comes to numbers, or his contributions on the field, there have been a lot of Huskers that have put up better numbers, or even been emotional leaders of their team. Just because a person has an untimely death does not make them an instant icon. Brooke IMHO would not have never started in the NFL, he was another QB that was adequate in the college ranks, but did not have the natural talent needed to go beyond that. He also had a good supporting cast around him - we didn't win just because of his play. We had a good defense that year. He contributed, he had a lot of heart, but he was only one part of the offense. There were other players that contributed as much or more than he did.

So, I respectfully disagree with your assessment that Brook Berringer was the Greatest Husker. Tommy Frazier put up better stats in the way of numbers, and had just as much if not more heart. It would be hard to pick one Husker as being the "greatest"...it isn't like we could line them all up and see at the end of the day who was the best, they played different times, teams, and had different supporting casts around them. If you want to go by the record books, you then would have to decide if you were going by career stats, season stats, or what they did beyond their college career. You also couldn't overlook the defensive players, because we have had some real monsters there.

i understand what you're saying, i just think that his character, the injuris that he himself played with, and the dynamics of the season, both on AND off the field...i dont think we go undefeated w/o him.