Josh Henson rumored to be a sure thing at Mizzou

fro daddy

It has been rumored the last few weeks that Pinkel has been working to get LSU recruiting cordinator and TE's coach to join his staff at Mizzou. Apperently Henson became upset when Les Miles offered his recruiting cordinator spot to Ed Orgeron who was Mississippi's HC last year and just signed with Tennessee. Anyway, long story short, numorous sites, newspapers and message boards are saying it is a done deal. Henson to MU.

This would be a great pickup for MU. Adding a experianced coach to the staff with Big 12 ( Okie St.) and SEC ties. Plus bringing in a man that can bump up their recruiting efforts. Henson has had 3 straight top 10 classes and may be just what the Tigers need to start landing more top recruits. I won't hold my breath on the truth of an internet report, but where there is smoke there must be fire....right?

Josh Henson's Bio

It has been rumored the last few weeks that Pinkel has been working to get LSU recruiting cordinator and TE's coach to join his staff at Mizzou. Apperently Henson became upset when Les Miles offered his recruiting cordinator spot to Ed Orgeron who was Mississippi's HC last year and just signed with Tennessee. Anyway, long story short, numorous sites, newspapers and message boards are saying it is a done deal. Henson to MU.

This would be a great pickup for MU. Adding a experianced coach to the staff with Big 12 ( Okie St.) and SEC ties. Plus bringing in a man that can bump up their recruiting efforts. Henson has had 3 straight top 10 classes and may be just what the Tigers need to start landing more top recruits. I won't hold my breath on the truth of an internet report, but where there is smoke there must be fire....right?

Josh Henson's Bio

A lot easier to recruit for the LSU Tigers in the Foozball than the Missouri version... Like 95% of that team comes out of Lousiana or East Texas anyway. You are not getting those kids to leave the deep south, especially the Lousiana ones. LSU gets almost all the tops Louisiana kids, and the ones the miss go to nearby SEC schools, LA Tech or MAYBE a Texas school.... The guy may still end up being a great hire, but the LSU recruits he is getting, all out of Lousiana, ALabama and FLorida are not likely to come to Columbia.

Josh Henson's Bio

A lot easier to recruit for the LSU Tigers in the Foozball than the Missouri version... Like 95% of that team comes out of Lousiana or East Texas anyway. You are not getting those kids to leave the deep south, especially the Lousiana ones. LSU gets almost all the tops Louisiana kids, and the ones the miss go to nearby SEC schools, LA Tech or MAYBE a Texas school.... The guy may still end up being a great hire, but the LSU recruits he is getting, all out of Lousiana, ALabama and FLorida are not likely to come to Columbia.

Jayhawk, I think you are missing the point. Its not about taking kids from LSU. Its about adding a great recruiter who can help keep kids that MU losses to other schools now. See, all those Texas, Lousiana, Alabama and Arkansas kids that you are talking about are up for grabs between the SEC schools, Oklahoma and Texas. Henson was able to beat those schools and get the kids they wanted to LSU. Sooooo, what I was talking about is if it comes down to MU and Minnisota like on B. Allen, I believe adding a great recruiter could be the difference. But dont worry Jayhawk, MU has no trouble getting the kids that both MU and KU are after so nothing will change on that front... ;)

:lol:

Josh Henson's Bio

Jayhawk, I think you are missing the point. Its not about taking kids from LSU. Its about adding a great recruiter who can help keep kids that MU losses to other schools now. See, all those Texas, Lousiana, Alabama and Arkansas kids that you are talking about are up for grabs between the SEC schools, Oklahoma and Texas. Henson was able to beat those schools and get the kids they wanted to LSU. Sooooo, what I was talking about is if it comes down to MU and Minnisota like on B. Allen, I believe adding a great recruiter could be the difference. But dont worry Jayhawk, MU has no trouble getting the kids that both MU and KU are after so nothing will change on that front... ;)

Uh. Maybe you are missing the point. If the guy was so great at his job, why did Miles apparently offer the job to someone else?

Josh Henson's Bio

Uh. Maybe you are missing the point. If the guy was so great at his job, why did Miles apparently offer the job to someone else?

I dont know. Why has Mile begun losing coaches like he is Ron Prince. Besides there smart ass husker fan. Why dont you ask yourself the same questions about almost everyone on your teams coaching staff. If they are all so great, why was Nebraska the only option for most of them.... ;)

Josh Henson's Bio

I dont know. Why has Mile begun losing coaches like he is Ron Prince. Besides there smart ass husker fan. Why dont you ask yourself the same questions about almost everyone on your teams coaching staff. If they are all so great, why was Nebraska the only option for most of them.... ;)

Too easy. NU is NU and MU isn't. While MU has had a run, NU is tradition and college football.

Josh Henson's Bio

Too easy. NU is NU and MU isn't. While MU has had a run, NU is tradition and college football.

too easy vince, when your options are out of coaching or retirement and the Huskers are the ONLY ones that offer a job, that aint tradition. <_< Plus Mu pays better. :lol:

Being serious though, I think it would be a good hire. Plus its the first time in 8 years I have got to have this discussion so cut me some slack...:)

Josh Henson's Bio

too easy vince, when your options are out of coaching or retirement and the Huskers are the ONLY ones that offer a job, that aint tradition. <_< Plus Mu pays better. :lol:

Being serious though, I think it would be a good hire. Plus its the first time in 8 years I have got to have this discussion so cut me some slack...:)

It is possible to pull gems out of LA from under LSU's nose. We got P.J. Smith last year and LSU could have had him, the kid will be a player. NU is also in on Logan a DE/DT in LA. LSU is slow playing him on an offer, I think they gave him the option to gray shirt. If Logan says screw you to LSU, it will be a repeat of the P.J. Smith mistake again. LSU is a victom of their location in a fertile recruiting area I think. They hold out for perceived greats and overlook the gems in their own back yard. Part of our success is Bo's experience with the area, Henson could bring the same thing to MU.

Josh Henson's Bio

It is possible to pull gems out of LA from under LSU's nose. We got P.J. Smith last year and LSU could have had him, the kid will be a player. NU is also in on Logan a DE/DT in LA. LSU is slow playing him on an offer, I think they gave him the option to gray shirt. If Logan says screw you to LSU, it will be a repeat of the P.J. Smith mistake again. LSU is a victom of their location in a fertile recruiting area I think. They hold out for perceived greats and overlook the gems in their own back yard. Part of our success is Bo's experience with the area, Henson could bring the same thing to MU.

Very true. I had thought about his knowledge and connections in Texas, but MU has rarely if ever gotten kids from LA. He could help bring the "under the radar" types that are overlooked by the big boys. That is a big reason MU has gotten the players that they have now. They have been good at finding and offering early before the big boys come late to the table. adding someone who could help do that in LA and east TX is always a good thing.

On a side note, caveman i have noticed more offers and interest from the east in NU. Who on the staff works that area? And is that just a reopening of the roads that NU used in the 80's and 90's?

Josh Henson's Bio

Very true. I had thought about his knowledge and connections in Texas, but MU has rarely if ever gotten kids from LA. He could help bring the "under the radar" types that are overlooked by the big boys. That is a big reason MU has gotten the players that they have now. They have been good at finding and offering early before the big boys come late to the table. adding someone who could help do that in LA and east TX is always a good thing.

On a side note, caveman i have noticed more offers and interest from the east in NU. Who on the staff works that area? And is that just a reopening of the roads that NU used in the 80's and 90's?

Well John Papuchis is from Maryland, hence the Ankrah pursuit and commit. Also former NU and NFL LB, Doug Coleman, was coaching a powerhouse HS program in NJ and in FEB 2008 he resigned to work for Bo. Question is what his job is, he is not listed as a GA or coach on the official site but has been with the program and at practices. Though TX is the number one priority for this staff, I think they do want to reopen several of the old pipelines like NJ. Coleman could be on staff just to do that. His HS was dominate, think he had a 40-15 record since '03. The staff is also trying to reopen Florida a bit, never was a big place to pull kids but the ones we did, such as Tommie Frazier, were good ones. We have a good DB coming in from Florida this year and was in it with a really good RB, he wanted immediate PT so chose Purdue. Before the Gator Bowl the coaches held a clinic for local HS coaches in the area, trying to build the relationships.

It is good that they are doing something, and having sucsess. I felt that with Mu really doing a pretty good job of closing off the borders over the last 4 years or so and KU having some sucsesses that NU's biggest hurdle would be opening up recruiting trails out of the midwest.

I like the idea of expanding the recruiting grounds. Mu had 104 players listed on their roster. 68 from MO, 18 from TX, and 18 from other states including LA, CA, AL, FL, OK, MI, IL, KS and IA. But most of those others are from KS, IA and IL. The other states have 1 player from each. Nothing is wrong with having mostly MO kids, there are ussually around 30 or more D-1 players in state every year. But when the crop is a little thin it would be nice to be able to spread out where your getting kids from. KC and STL have been really putting out good players for the last 6 or 7 years. And I believe it is a direct connection to MU's sucsess.

On a recruiting note, I was dissapointed that NU opened up their walkon program again. There is a direct link as well to the sucsess NWMSU has had over the last years and the cut of that program. As was proved last year and I'm sure will happen again. UNO and NW will lose kids who would rather walkon and be a husker. Even if that means most of them will never play college ball. Nebraska, although not loaded with D-1 talent, does have furtile grounds for the D-2 schools in the area.

It is good that they are doing something, and having sucsess. I felt that with Mu really doing a pretty good job of closing off the borders over the last 4 years or so and KU having some sucsesses that NU's biggest hurdle would be opening up recruiting trails out of the midwest.

I like the idea of expanding the recruiting grounds. Mu had 104 players listed on their roster. 68 from MO, 18 from TX, and 18 from other states including LA, CA, AL, FL, OK, MI, IL, KS and IA. But most of those others are from KS, IA and IL. The other states have 1 player from each. Nothing is wrong with having mostly MO kids, there are ussually around 30 or more D-1 players in state every year. But when the crop is a little thin it would be nice to be able to spread out where your getting kids from. KC and STL have been really putting out good players for the last 6 or 7 years. And I believe it is a direct connection to MU's sucsess.

On a recruiting note, I was dissapointed that NU opened up their walkon program again. There is a direct link as well to the sucsess NWMSU has had over the last years and the cut of that program. As was proved last year and I'm sure will happen again. UNO and NW will lose kids who would rather walkon and be a husker. Even if that means most of them will never play college ball. Nebraska, although not loaded with D-1 talent, does have furtile grounds for the D-2 schools in the area.

You are right on about the walkon program and affecting the D2 programs. I always liked NWMSU because one of the guys in my HS, Derek Lane a RB, played for them. They went to the finals I think when Lane was there, they didn't win though. I think they broke through a year or two later. I also went to a math contest down there one year, was only about 2-1/2 hours South of where I grew up in IA.

The walkon program is already paying dividends for NU again though. Bo had to start 5 walkons this year on D alone. Bo's edict of the best players playing period has created an intense level of competition in practice not seen in awhile. They are finding gems and forcing the scholly players to press hard. On one hand I love this, but I also hate to see what happens to good programs like NWMSU and UNO.

Josh Henson's Bio

MU HAS to pay better, otherwise no one would go that black hole called Columbia. :nutz

Agreed, continuity is a big reason why MU has become formidable. I now loathe no one in College Football more. Congratulations! :koolaid2: