2005 quarterback prospects didn't pan out

This is why every team wants to take a QB every year.

QB remains toughest position to predict -- just look back to '05

Story Highlights

- Looking back, most top prospects from the 2005 QB class didn't pan out

- It's an extreme case, but it affirms how hard it is to evaluate young QBs

- One top QB who made it: Mark Sanchez; One hidden gem: Colt McCoy

In the winter of 2005, Rivals.com national recruiting analyst Jamie Newberg, working for another service at the time, debated with one of his colleagues which quarterback deserved the class' No. 1 ranking: Mark Sanchez or Ryan Perrilloux.

"Looking back at all the quarterback recruits since 2000, Ryan Perrilloux had as much talent as anyone," Newberg said. "He had it all."

Ultimately, they went with Sanchez because they considered him the "safer pick." They were right. Sanchez went on to star at USC last season, earning Rose Bowl MVP honors before entering the NFL draft, where he is a projected top-15 pick. Perrilloux signed with LSU, where he showed off his considerable talents in one start -- the 2007 SEC championship game -- but was suspended multiple times and eventually dismissed. He now plays for I-AA Jacksonville State.

Remarkably, Sanchez wound up as one of the few quarterbacks from the '05 class who became a noteworthy college player. An overwhelming majority of the QBs who fell right behind him in that year's rankings -- Perrilloux, Jonathan Crompton, Harrison Beck, Jake Christensen and Derek Shaw, to name a few -- have been disappointments, whether due to injury, off-the-field issues, coaching changes or hasty transfers. Many did not pan out.

Of the 58 quarterbacks to whom Rivals.com assigned a position ranking that year -- either on its "pro-style" or "dual-threat" list -- just 17 have started a full season in Division I-A. Only nine have finished a season among the nation's top 40 passers. (Many of the dual-threat QBs moved to other positions).

"It was just a bad year for quarterbacks, and for whatever reason only a handful made it," said Newberg. "Looking back four years later, there's a lot of misses, and certain kids had certain situations that weren't conducive for success." More.

No. 3: Harrison Beck (Nebraska/N.C. State). Beck was Bill Callahan's first signature recruit in Lincoln. He burned his redshirt year late in '05, but after slipping to third string in the following preseason camp, he transferred to N.C. State. Beck started four games in '07, throwing nine interceptions before suffering a shoulder injury. He now backs up All-ACC QB Russell Wilson.

IMO, Sanchez was a bust. I can't believe he's listed so high on early draft boards. He had 5 turnovers in one game. They won the game like 35-0, but it was because of stellar D rather than his ability. They lost to Oregon State because well he just isn't that good. Pete needs to find him a QB. It has cost him at least 2 NC's. Booty wasn't very good and Sanchez isn't very good.

IMO, Sanchez was a bust. I can't believe he's listed so high on early draft boards. He had 5 turnovers in one game. They won the game like 35-0, but it was because of stellar D rather than his ability. They lost to Oregon State because well he just isn't that good. Pete needs to find him a QB. It has cost him at least 2 NC's. Booty wasn't very good and Sanchez isn't very good.

I know, I'm afraid the Cheifs will pull the trigger on Sanchez <_< . I like him better than Stafford, but there aren't any drool worthy QB's in this years draft.

I know, I'm afraid the Cheifs will pull the trigger on Sanchez <_< . I like him better than Stafford, but there aren't any drool worthy QB's in this years draft.

I'll second that. Hopefully one of the stud OL guys will be there at #3 or a good DL or LB. The QB crop in this years draft isn't very good! I'm fine with giving Thigpen a whole year to prove himself. He showed he is capable towards the end of last season. Or they can just sign Matt Cassel

Come on Pioli, lets get this thing started on the right foot!!!

I'll second that. Hopefully one of the stud OL guys will be there at #3 or a good DL or LB. The QB crop in this years draft isn't very good! I'm fine with giving Thigpen a whole year to prove himself. He showed he is capable towards the end of last season. Or they can just sign Matt Cassel

Come on Pioli, lets get this thing started on the right foot!!!

I agree. I hope that we don't get Sanchez. I also hope that Andre Smith is still available so the Chiefs can get him