Anyone realize we can have 3 4 star Lb

dee_s3

Nobody ever learns....stars don't mean nothing, they have to produce...therefore I won't get excited about anyone on this defense until they show me something. There are a lot of possibilities though, and it is hard not to notice them.

:boxosoap

stars do "mean something"!

stars show a collective opinion of how ready an athlete is to start at the D1 level right out of high school.

starts do not mean to show how great a player will be in 4 or 5 years.

people that do not think stars matter, think so because they want excuses for our recruiting classes not being rated as high as teams like OU or Texas. people assume that starts mean a player with 5 stars is going to be better than a player with 2 stars in 5 years and that is not the case. stars only show how ready a player is to START right out of high school for a D1 school.

5 star- player is ready to start out of high school

4 star- player is a year away if he has the proper training.

3 star- definite redshirt, player still needs to develop before being placed into the starting lineup

2 star- needs 2-3 years to be properly developed into a starting player at the D1 level

nothing to do with how good a player will be in 5 years! :rant

Something to remember on the star rankings of recruits: look at all the variance between the different "experts". That said, 5 stars are/were exciting to get.

I think a good coaching staff that can develop players is more important at the college level than just bringing in 4 or 5 star players? Just MHO. (The ideal situation is bringing in the best players AND developing them, which I think BO is going to end up doing).

Something to remember on the star rankings of recruits: look at all the variance between the different "experts". That said, 5 stars are/were exciting to get.

I think a good coaching staff that can develop players is more important at the college level than just bringing in 4 or 5 star players? Just MHO. (The ideal situation is bringing in the best players AND developing them, which I think BO is going to end up doing).

you are correct.

all i am saying is that stars mean how good a player is coming out of high school......not how good he will be in 5 years.

So does that mean that if we had 3 Harrison Becks (4 star recruit) competing for QB we'd have a dominate passing game next year?

:sarcasm

BTW, this thread starter is right to be excited about the talent we will have at LB next year. I think that is what he was getting at...

So does that mean that if we had 3 Harrison Becks (4 star recruit) competing for QB we'd have a dominate passing game next year?

BTW, this thread starter is right to be excited about the talent we will have at LB next year. I think that is what he was getting at...

:yeah How many times have we had recruits with stars that didn't pan out...then you have the kids that have no stars, just the desire to play and be a part of a winning program - I will take the kids with the desire every time over some kid that has stars and is just shopping for the best deal for himself to go to the next level...sometimes the kids with the stars come with the right attitude, but then you have the Harrison Beck's of the world that are nothing but cry babies that want to be bottle fed and told how special they are. I would rather have an enema with gasoline than I would want to deal with a kid like that. We don't need individuals that are in it for themselves, we need kids that want to be a part of a winning team - come in and do their job. If they do their job well, the recognition will come later on.

All this star system does is put a kid on a pedestal so he can fall off, and it makes him more concerned about himself and the way he looks than for the team.

If you are saying that we have 3 four star linebackers starting next year, i really doubt that compton and dillard will start together. if you just meant on the team then we have four including chris williams. i too am really excited about the speed that we have coming to our defense. excluding dillard all of our linebackers run in the 4.5-4.6 range. throw in the fact that compton, whaley, fisher, reed, josh williams, steinkhuler, ankrah, randle, eric martin, and chris williams will all be frosh next year gets me excited to think about the possibilities.

:yeah How many times have we had recruits with stars that didn't pan out...then you have the kids that have no stars, just the desire to play and be a part of a winning program - I will take the kids with the desire every time over some kid that has stars and is just shopping for the best deal for himself to go to the next level...sometimes the kids with the stars come with the right attitude, but then you have the Harrison Beck's of the world that are nothing but cry babies that want to be bottle fed and told how special they are. I would rather have an enema with gasoline than I would want to deal with a kid like that. We don't need individuals that are in it for themselves, we need kids that want to be a part of a winning team - come in and do their job. If they do their job well, the recognition will come later on.

All this star system does is put a kid on a pedestal so he can fall off, and it makes him more concerned about himself and the way he looks than for the team.

but that has nothing to do with what starts mean..............i understand what you are saying but above you said that stars mean nothing and that is baseless.

just because, as a 5 star player says, they can start right out of high school it does not mean that they are going to pan out. and injury can change a lot a death in the family can change a lot bad coaching can change a lot, so on and so forth.

but if you do not think that a 5 star player is more often than not, not ready to play out of high school as opposed to a 3 star then you are lying to yourself.

no it does not. read what i actually wrote.

please read this article and then come back and tell me that stars do not typically equate to talent even at the end of 4-5 years.

http://www.athlonsports.com/college-footba...es-to-the-draft

no it does not. read what i actually wrote.

please read this article and then come back and tell me that stars do not typically equate to talent even at the end of 4-5 years.

http://www.athlonsports.com/college-footba...es-to-the-draft

You are right about the article. It definetely presents a great argument for the value of having top-rated prospects coming out of high school.

but that has nothing to do with what starts mean..............i understand what you are saying but above you said that stars mean nothing and that is baseless.

just because, as a 5 star player says, they can start right out of high school it does not mean that they are going to pan out. and injury can change a lot a death in the family can change a lot bad coaching can change a lot, so on and so forth.

but if you do not think that a 5 star player is more often than not, not ready to play out of high school as opposed to a 3 star then you are lying to yourself.

I am just saying that if I was HC, I would be more interested in a kid's desire than those stars. Of course he has to have some talent also...but there are a lot of kids that get missed by those so-called guru's handing out the stars. How many times has Nebraska found a kid playing 8 man football in some po-dunk town in the middle of nowhere in Nebraska? Then you find that not only does he have talent, but he has 2 brothers that have talent, too.

I am not denying that talent is necessary...but I think you have to have a coach/recruiter that can actually spot real talent, and a positive attitude you can work with. There are too many kids out there that get a couple of stars that develop prima donna attitudes when they get them.