Mandel's evaluation

I dont think many realize how far our program has fallen as far as national perception. It's easy to see here the vast improvement since pelini was hired. But our record this year was "okay" and we had one signiture win in clemson...who was a big disapointment this year. It's not an overnight fix although we all know we are better than the nation thinks. So basically recruits dont know how good we are and all we can do is show them. National perception is our worst enemy in recruiting right now...and only wins can change that. I expect a much better year recruiting next year.

And by the way...we lost like 20 some games straight against top 20 teams over the last couple years....

Your post is by far the closest to the reality in explaining where NU is in recruiting. To the rest of the nation NU is a mid-level program with, if they are old enough to know this, a great past. But generally speaking, most recruits, if they were to list the top 20 programs, would not even give NU a thought. Their collective memories are from basically about 2000 or more recent. Since that time NU has been noncompetitive and, as you say, are one of something like a half dozen or fewer teams that has not defeated a single ranked team.

The comment that Clemson was a signature win is little tough to accept --- I like Clemson, their fans, and think Clemson has potential to go places and respect them as a school --- but they were unranked and could not possibly, on that basis alone, be a signature win. A signature win is against a top 10 or top 5 type team. Our last signature win was against Oklahoma with the trick pass from the left-handed ex-QB (forgot his name) to Eric Crouch --- what year was that? A year too remote for recruits to know about.

You are right, NU needs at least one, and likely two, 10 win seasons (over-achieving seasons getting the most out of the limited athletes NU has) and at least 1 signature win each season --- and maybe a B12 Championship before people go --- hey, NU is pretty good. The problem is, with the talent gap between NU and the elite programs, is it reasonable to perform that well w/o getting in some real talent?

Here is to overachieving.

I agree with most of your post. I agree clemson wasnt much of a win. I said "clemson...who was a big disapointment this year." but I did say signiture win...your reply kinda makes me realize how far we have to reach for the "signiture win". lol. sad really. I guess i more so meant for this year, and this team.

I remember playing michigan in the alamo bowl and I believe it was herbstreit saying "If nebraska pulls this one out its a signiture win for this program and BC has them headed in the right direction."

All i can say is i agreed. :bang

The lefty was mike stuntz...year? i wanna say '00- '01.

I expected a little better year in recruiting but honestly we came close to closing on some studs. Kids just arent sure about N right now. We've been mediocre for years. To quote the man himself "Time will tell"

I dont think many realize how far our program has fallen as far as national perception. It's easy to see here the vast improvement since pelini was hired. But our record this year was "okay" and we had one signiture win in clemson...who was a big disapointment this year. It's not an overnight fix although we all know we are better than the nation thinks. So basically recruits dont know how good we are and all we can do is show them. National perception is our worst enemy in recruiting right now...and only wins can change that. I expect a much better year recruiting next year.

And by the way...we lost like 20 some games straight against top 20 teams over the last couple years....

Your post is by far the closest to the reality in explaining where NU is in recruiting. To the rest of the nation NU is a mid-level program with, if they are old enough to know this, a great past. But generally speaking, most recruits, if they were to list the top 20 programs, would not even give NU a thought. Their collective memories are from basically about 2000 or more recent. Since that time NU has been noncompetitive and, as you say, are one of something like a half dozen or fewer teams that has not defeated a single ranked team.

The comment that Clemson was a signature win is little tough to accept --- I like Clemson, their fans, and think Clemson has potential to go places and respect them as a school --- but they were unranked and could not possibly, on that basis alone, be a signature win. A signature win is against a top 10 or top 5 type team. Our last signature win was against Oklahoma with the trick pass from the left-handed ex-QB (forgot his name) to Eric Crouch --- what year was that? A year too remote for recruits to know about.

You are right, NU needs at least one, and likely two, 10 win seasons (over-achieving seasons getting the most out of the limited athletes NU has) and at least 1 signature win each season --- and maybe a B12 Championship before people go --- hey, NU is pretty good. The problem is, with the talent gap between NU and the elite programs, is it reasonable to perform that well w/o getting in some real talent?

Here is to overachieving.

I agree with most of your post. I agree clemson wasnt much of a win. I said "clemson...who was a big disapointment this year." but I did say signiture win...your reply kinda makes me realize how far we have to reach for the "signiture win". lol. sad really. I guess i more so meant for this year, and this team.

I remember playing michigan in the alamo bowl and I believe it was herbstreit saying "If nebraska pulls this one out its a signiture win for this program and BC has them headed in the right direction."

All i can say is i agreed. :bang

The lefty was mike stuntz...year? i wanna say '00- '01.

I expected a little better year in recruiting but honestly we came close to closing on some studs. Kids just arent sure about N right now. We've been mediocre for years. To quote the man himself "Time will tell"

Sky:

I know where you are coming from my friend --- I too am all about us heading back onto a competitive standing nationally. Time will tell. I do think that we are least pointed in the right direction. That said, progress may be slow.

I agree and don't think anyone can argue that Bo has NU headed in the right direction. I also agree that the Huskers need to get back to winning 10, 11 games a year and competing for the Big 12 championship before outsiders will realize we're back. Mandel's review of this year's recruits is nothing but his "guess". Look on CFN at the busts from 2003, 04, 05...so many that Mandel and every other "guru" said were gonna be studs. Almost entire classes have become busts. Sure things weren't so sure. It's just too hard to say what an 18 year old kid will or will not transform into over the next 3 or 4 years of his life. That being said we have to believe in our coaching staff that they know what they're doing and working towards. My thought has always been that it's what you do with them after their on campus more than what they did themselves in high school.

I was not disappointed at all in this class. I think it is a good class! If you put it into "perspective" of where the program is ... it's a great class! I'm excited. It's a far better class than "experts" and "bloggers/posters" believe.

You either believe you "evaluate talent" and choose the guys you want or ... you get "stars" rated by "so-called experts".

We hired a coach who is a great evaluator, a great teacher and motivator.

I'll take this road and where these kids are currently at and where they will end up over programs (or even one previous coach) who get/got "great 4-5 * players" rated by them and then not coach them up.

In the end, we are on the right road this year boys. Regardless of who we get next year, based off of some "experts" rankings, we will have to develop, teach and movitivate young men to greatness.

SheepdogMark

Meh,

Pelini knows what he is doing. I'm not disappointed.

Yes he does.

But he is also not in control signs a letter of intent. He does control who is offered, but then, like all coaches, is relegated to taking what he gets in terms of who accepts. At places like USC, Florida, LSU, Texas, Oklahoma and perhaps, oddly enough, Notre Dame --- these coaches often pick who they will take because more excellent athletes than they can accommodate want in -- so they (the coaches) are doing the selection rather than the recruits (for the most part). But at a mid-tier program (like NU at the moment) well.... the coaches take whoever they can get to come and the filtering is done by the recruits (for the most part).

So.... do not think that this, or any class for some time now, is the class that Bo wanted --- as if the people in the class reflect Bo's hand-picked athletes. No, he took what he could get, they were among those he was willing to offer, and in that sense has his imprint. But what i am saying is that most of those signed were likely not the #1 choice Bo had for that position --- likely many were # 2-6 or 7th choice --- but were the ones willing to come.

So the quality of the class is more a function of who was willing, not who Bo picked. If Bo could simply say "I'll take him, and him, but not him,... yeah that guy too" the way Pete Carrol can, then the quality of the class would be proportional to the ability of the coach to choose.

But at this point, that is not the case. Thus, the fact that Bo knows what he is doing has little bearing on the quality of the class. Oh... and by the way, every coach says they are happy with their recruits, so the fact that Bo has said as much means little.

All said, Bo is doing great with what he has, and what he can, at the moment, attract. Still the class attracted was less than I had hoped.

Meh,

Pelini knows what he is doing. I'm not disappointed.

Yes he does.

But he is also not in control signs a letter of intent. He does control who is offered, but then, like all coaches, is relegated to taking what he gets in terms of who accepts. At places like USC, Florida, LSU, Texas, Oklahoma and perhaps, oddly enough, Notre Dame --- these coaches often pick who they will take because more excellent athletes than they can accommodate want in -- so they (the coaches) are doing the selection rather than the recruits (for the most part). But at a mid-tier program (like NU at the moment) well.... the coaches take whoever they can get to come and the filtering is done by the recruits (for the most part).

So.... do not think that this, or any class for some time now, is the class that Bo wanted --- as if the people in the class reflect Bo's hand-picked athletes. No, he took what he could get, they were among those he was willing to offer, and in that sense has his imprint. But what i am saying is that most of those signed were likely not the #1 choice Bo had for that position --- likely many were # 2-6 or 7th choice --- but were the ones willing to come.

So the quality of the class is more a function of who was willing, not who Bo picked. If Bo could simply say "I'll take him, and him, but not him,... yeah that guy too" the way Pete Carrol can, then the quality of the class would be proportional to the ability of the coach to choose.

But at this point, that is not the case. Thus, the fact that Bo knows what he is doing has little bearing on the quality of the class. Oh... and by the way, every coach says they are happy with their recruits, so the fact that Bo has said as much means little.

All said, Bo is doing great with what he has, and what he can, at the moment, attract. Still the class attracted was less than I had hoped.

Robsker,

I thought this was a well constructed argument ... and I can't disagree with it. It fits into what I see ... however, my mind is more of a fan than an "x and o" type of guy.

SheepdogMark

I'm affraid it's going to take a lot longer than most want to admitt, to right this ship. We have been sliding down this slop since 97 I would say. Slowly at first, but we deffinately picked up the pace of the slide here the last 4 years. That won't be fixed over night. Strong defense will help, but it going to take a while to get back in the national spotlight. It's going to be fine of course, I definately think we have the right guy for the job. But we have a lot of proving to do on the field to get recruits attention again. It will come, I just think it going to take a while.

GBR

I'm affraid it's going to take a lot longer than most want to admitt, to right this ship. We have been sliding down this slop since 97 I would say. Slowly at first, but we deffinately picked up the pace of the slide here the last 4 years. That won't be fixed over night. Strong defense will help, but it going to take a while to get back in the national spotlight. It's going to be fine of course, I definately think we have the right guy for the job. But we have a lot of proving to do on the field to get recruits attention again. It will come, I just think it going to take a while.

GBR

yes thats true, but....

We, at least, stopped the slide last year. We actually have some decent talent spread across the board, but they were not developed under the previous staff. Dobson seems to be puttin these kids to work in the off season. For example....look at helu last year compared to this year. I thought he looked pudgy under callahan...as did many others...dillard....turner...etc etc. Helu HURDLED 3 guys this year. Never seen anyone do it in game in the way he did it. That's just sick. And swift...always had hands but added much athleticism this year.(I know hes gone) Just look at the video of the VT punt return (on a side note watch how many hokies hit the ground on that play), look at mcneil's td against SJS? where he jukes a dude and then goes flipping into the endzone. I know most people are hard on West but he's great in my opinion. Made a stellar play agaisnt clemson (diving pick against his momentum) Now...the fact that we arent getting big time guys the last 2 recruiting years may make the progress slower.... but add in the fact that our staff has shown they can coach guys up.... and we have hope. :thumbs I'm not sayin national champ or anything like that but we can have solid years with a few games going our way...then who knows what happens...conversly things could slide easily, also, with injuries. etc. Our team showed improvement every week. Remember this was their first year in pelinis system and with their coaching. Now i could go on for days, but....i'll just ride off into the sunset

GBR

yes thats true, but....

We, at least, stopped the slide last year. We actually have some decent talent spread across the board, but they were not developed under the previous staff. Dobson seems to be puttin these kids to work in the off season. For example....look at helu last year compared to this year. I thought he looked pudgy under callahan...as did many others...dillard....turner...etc etc. Helu HURDLED 3 guys this year. Never seen anyone do it in game in the way he did it. That's just sick. And swift...always had hands but added much athleticism this year.(I know hes gone) Just look at the video of the VT punt return (on a side note watch how many hokies hit the ground on that play), look at mcneil's td against SJS? where he jukes a dude and then goes flipping into the endzone. I know most people are hard on West but he's great in my opinion. Made a stellar play agaisnt clemson (diving pick against his momentum) Now...the fact that we arent getting big time guys the last 2 recruiting years may make the progress slower.... but add in the fact that our staff has shown they can coach guys up.... and we have hope. :thumbs I'm not sayin national champ or anything like that but we can have solid years with a few games going our way...then who knows what happens...conversly things could slide easily, also, with injuries. etc. Our team showed improvement every week. Remember this was their first year in pelinis system and with their coaching. Now i could go on for days, but....i'll just ride off into the sunset

Sky:

I am with you. The slide has ended and the walk back up to the top has begun. And I agree that there are guys here who are good. NU will get better. We are headed in the right direction, but as pointed out a post or two ago by another poster, the time dedicated to the walk back up hill will be longer than most people seemingly think. I'd guess that a couple of years like last year (with hopefully an extra win each year, ideally with a signature upset or two) is needed in order to begin to attract recruits the likes of which the big programs attract. Until then, and then only after a couple of years, will NU be a legitimate contender for BCS bowls. So, it will likely be 5 years in the making before NU can get back --- and then only if we overacheive these next two years. We are in for the long haul.

But, as you point out, or at least intimate, it wil be fun rooting the team on in its assent. I am encouraged, big time. Bo is the right guy.

From another board:

Nebraska had none of these factors (and it doesn't help that they aren't a high profile program in the minds of today's recruits.) There was no significant talent gap (only a coaching gap). No need to promise guys starting positions to get them to come because it simply wasn't going to be true. No change to the offensive scheme requiring ridiculous offers to overrated QBs. No mass influx of JUCOs required.

No significant talent gap? Between who?NU and Iowa St?

NU wants to compete with Texas and OU and there was a very significant talent gap.When that gap narrows{and I hope this staff is up to it.}NU will battle for Big 12 Championships.

I bet there are people all over the place that think there's a very significant talent gap between Oregon State and USC as well, but Oregon State has had USC's number lately.

It's kind of like the old question about what comes first the chicken or the egg. Was it the talent gap that has NU behind Texas and OU, or is it the coaching gap that has us this far behind? Clownahan is a poor coach. He develops talent poorly. I'm not even sure if his staff even developed anything while at NU. I think this was the direct result of the past few years. Bo and crew could only develop these kids so much in one short season. I think they did a wonderful job. We probably saw the best Nebraska football in 5 years in the bowl game. I just can't keep from thinking about all the no name recruits TO brought in and made into superstars.