QB Pete Thomas

Quarterback Pete Thomas (El Cajon, Calif./Valhalla) has been committed to Arizona State since early June, but after a weekend visit to Colorado State, the signal caller is now a Ram.

CSU was always been high on Thomas' list and was actually his runner up choice when he originally committed.

"I feel like this is the best decision for me," Thomas said. "It has been a pretty hectic three weeks for me, but because I'm graduating early, I didn't have a lot of time to wait around and sort things out.

"Basically, when ASU let go of their offensive coordinator, Rich Olson, I decided to look at my options. Originally I was told by ASU that they would have a new coach hired within a week but then they came back and said it wouldn't be until January. I'm graduating in January so I couldn't afford to wait that long.

"I got in touch with Colorado State and they came in for a home visit. I then decided to take an official visit there this past weekend and I think it's just a perfect fit for me. They run a pro-style offense that is well suited for me, I love the coaching staff, and I think I'll have a chance to get in there and play right away."

Thomas said the call he had to make to Sun Devil coach Dennis Erickson Monday morning was the hardest call of his life.

"I liked coach Erickson a lot so that was tough," Thomas said. "He had always been great with me and I know I would have enjoyed playing for him. I just had to look at this as a business decision and not knowing who my position coach would be was a pretty big risk for me.

"I know a lot of players get caught up in signing with a big name BCS school and not always looking for the best place for them. For me, I really think CSU is the best fit and I can't wait to get there. I'll be there Jan. 15 and ready to go when spring practice gets there. My older brother lives 90 minutes away too, so that's just another big plus for me."