QB Pete Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't look like Nebraska will be in the mix for him

Cali QB lands offer No. 3

Things are picking up for Valhalla (El Cajon, Calif.) quarterback Pete Thomas. The signal caller landed his third offer on Monday and a pair of unofficial visits this weekend could result in another offer or two.

Thomas had early offers from Maryland and Boston College and his most recent offer comes out of the Big 10.

"Northwestern offered and my whole family is excited about that one," Thomas said. "I'm excited because I like their football program and my parents are excited because they love the academics there."

This weekend, Thomas will head out to Los Angeles to visit USC and UCLA and he has been hearing good things from both schools.

"I really think both could offer," Thomas said. "I'll be at USC all day on Saturday and then I'll be at UCLA on Sunday. Both schools have seen my junior film and told me they liked it a lot.

"Coach Morton at USC told me I was their top quarterback prospect for this class so I think they could offer this weekend. I've also been talking to Coach Neuheisal a lot and he said I was high on their board as well."

"It would be great to get an offer from both schools as I have a high interest in both. With USC, I know they signed Matt Barkley and he's a great player but that won't scare me away. Plus he could leave after his junior year, especially if he plays a lot this year so I'm not going to let that affect me."

Thomas talks Junior Day, new offer

Valhalla (El Cajon, Calif.) quarterback Pete Thomas attended USC's Junior Day over the weekend. The signal caller didn't pick up an offer from the Trojans but did land his first Pac 10 offer the day before from an unlikely source.

Thomas took in Junior Day with his parents and said everyone had a great time in Los Angeles.

"I've always liked USC a lot but my parents really liked it," Thomas said. "I think the trip really opened their eyes about the school and we all learned a lot.

"I spent a lot of time with Coach Morton and the new quarterback coach, Coach Bates. Coach Morton told me I'm still the quarterback at the top of their board and an offer could come any time. Coach Bates is still new to the staff so I think they want him to evaluate the guys and see who he likes before they offer anyone and that's fine with me.

"The vibe you get from being at USC is just crazy. The coaches get you so fired up that I was almost getting goose bumps a couple of times. They really inspire you and it's such a close knit group there and I love how everyone is like a family."

Thomas had offers from Boston College, Maryland and Northwestern and on Friday, picked up an offer from Arizona State.

"Yeah, ASU was kind of out of the blue," Thomas said. "I heard I wasn't high on their list and I wasn't receiving any letters or anything. Then I talked with Coach Yarber and he said they just watched my junior film and liked it a lot so they decided to offer.

"I was very excited and will definitely be visiting ASU this Spring. I couldn't make it to UCLA on Sunday like I wanted to but I'm going to their Junior Day in March. I'm also going back East in April and will check out Maryland and North Carolina State so I have a pretty busy schedule right now but it's exciting at the same time."

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

waiting for N.C. State to offer...apparently, they're his favorite

Evidently really liked the NCSU campus and thinks the coaches can prep him for the NFL.

I doubt we were very interested in the first place, he's more of a pure pocket-passer than we're looking for. Runs a 4.9 and his highlights don't show a single scramble or designed run. We're not necessarily looking for running qb's but they gotta have the ability to make some plays with their feet.

• 6 months later...