Great article on cally

I would agree with you, but you are wrong. cally obviously has no clue about it, otherwise he never would have been so dumbfouned when the fans were chucking oranges on the field.

Any idiot knows what that means and the historical signifance, but not bill.

:rollin

London to a bucket of spit that formerfan doesn't realize that he just stated that Callahan is not an idiot. Read it again:

"Any idiot knows what that means and the historical signifance, but not bill."

Thus, in formerfan's opinion, Callahan is not an idiot!

:rollin

I am sure that article sold a lot of papers in Okieland. Just like the Delone acquittal sold a lot of papers in GBRland. Am I biased :lol: Is that reporter a fecal hemorrhage :)

Like I have said in the past the media just wants to think they have a clue and we should always believe what they say HELLO Reporters jibberish shouldnt be construed as the Gospel whether from a OU, OWH or LJS. They all put their own spin on things when they can. Makes them feel good I guess.

If BC isnt getting this he is the smartest millionaire in Nebraska. Especially if he can continue this charade for 5 more years. I dont think this is the case, why would he invest so much time and effort in recruiting and training and not have a clue. There are easier ways of making a living and have quality family time which is what most coaches have none.

:horns2

GBR

till they throw dirt on my cold lifeless face. After that I'll have the best seats in the house for the game. :thumbs

It is just amazing to me to see people believe what this guy has to say but yet will say in another topic that Ditka's opinion doesn't count because he was not a great coach. What the hell did this author ever do in football to have his story be more credible than that of a football coach that has won the super bowl?

former fan, how dare you even have the guts to call yourself a fan. your name in itself is a contradiction. no true fan quits on his team because they make a coaching change, espcially not a husker. this football team is not about coaches, or ads, or players even. its about a hundred plus year old instituition that represents everything great about football. in what other stadium can you find fans that cheer for the opposing team. in what stadium can you find over 200 former academic all americans including numerous ones from last year, and more to come. in what stadium can you find harder workers than in memorial stadium. Callahan has moved his family, come into a difficult situation with high expectations, and worked harder than Solich ever did, yet you quit on him and Nebraska before they can even get started. Im glad your a former fan, because you dont know what it means to be a Nebraska football fan, and I wish you would take your "opinions" off of this site, which is for FANS, and go find something better to do. I loved Tom, I loved Frank, and I love Bill, but most off all I love Nebraska.

Ask and you shall receive:

Dave Sittler: Callahan needs a clue about NU-OU

BY DAVE SITTLER

THE TULSA WORLD

• Editor's note: The author, Dave Sittler, covered Nebraska football for The World-Herald in the early 1980s.

Darren DeLone got off; now let's hope his coach gets it.

On second thought, let's demand Nebraska football coach Bill Callahan gets it through his hard head that there are some things in sports nobody messes with.

Nobody. Including a know-it-all who apparently figures he has all the answers because he coached in a Super Bowl.

Super Bowl, Stooper Bowl. When it comes to storied tradition, that overhyped NFL money trap couldn't hold the Oklahoma-Nebraska series' jock.

But for the OU-Nebraska rivalry to receive the justice DeLone was served in a Cleveland County courtroom, Callahan needs to educate himself on why it's considered one of the classiest in all of sports.

Callahan apparently still doesn't either grasp the deep pride both schools and their fans take in the 93-year-old series, or simply doesn't want to get what makes this game unique.

DeLone is the former Husker lineman acquitted last Wednesday of an aggravated assault and battery charge. The incident with an OU spirit squad member occurred before kickoff of last season's OU-Nebraska game in Norman.

It was after that Nov. 13 contest that Callahan applied a thick coat of vulgar tarnish to the heretofore shining series. His angry words delivered an ugly wound to the overwhelming goodwill generated and nurtured during the teams' 80 previous meetings.

Callahan started it with a crass postgame remark about OU fans. He continued his verbal assault two days later, and this spring kept aggravating the wound with a snide remark about OU.

As a proud Nebraska graduate who has covered the Husker and Sooner programs for a combined 30-plus years, I have one question: Where does this uneducated interloper get off with this type of ignorant behavior?

Callahan had been associated with Nebraska less than a year when he started spouting off last November on topics where he was clueless.

After OU thrashed the Huskers 30-3, a petulant Callahan called Sooner fans "(expletive) hillbillies."

On the following Monday's Big 12 teleconference, Callahan continued his harangue. He complained that OU fans had tossed oranges on the field and said "I've never seen anything like it before."

Puhleeeze. Callahan had never witnessed fans throwing objects to celebrate their team's upcoming bowl trip? Had he checked the OU-Nebraska series, he would have learned about a Husker fan instigating a throwing incident in the 1982 game.

When Nebraska scored, the Husker supporter fired a frozen orange from the stadium's south end zone. It struck a Nebraska security guard in the neck, leaving him partially and permanently paralyzed.

Fans shouldn't throw objects. But OU supporters aren't the only ones winging things out of the stadium.

After the 1982 game, OU coach Barry Switzer didn't curse and denigrate Husker fans. Switzer never, ever criticized Nebraska.

The same goes for former Husker coaches Bob Devaney, Tom Osborne and Frank Solich. It was several coaches at both schools who developed this long-standing mutual respect, which stood as an envied model as several rivalries descended into trash-talking and hatred.

Neither Callahan nor Nebraska's administration issued an apology for his actions after the game nor during the teleconference. That still bothers OU athletic director Joe Castiglione.

"One can understand somebody in the heat of the moment saying something they wished they wouldn't have said," Castiglione said. "But the comments that came the Monday after the game were totally inappropriate.

"Talking about it two days later and inflaming the situation was not representative of the classy relationship that the two universities celebrate."

After DeLone's acquittal, the Nebraska athletic department released a statement that said the school and its football program "are committed to enhancing the tradition, sportsmanship and passion displayed for nearly a century in the Nebraska-Oklahoma rivalry."

If Nebraska officials want to demonstrate that commitment, they should order Callahan to do his homework on the rivalry's rich heritage. Callahan has ample time to crack the OU-Nebraska history books before the teams meet Oct. 29 in Lincoln.

Even before DeLone's verdict, Castiglione said he planned to evaluate OU's game day operations. That includes where the Ruf/Neks spirit group will be located so the school can avoid another incident.

While OU has vowed to do its part in repairing any damage done to the series, Callahan's antagonistic attitude about the Sooners continues. That was apparent when he was asked during a spring practice press conference about the Huskers using the "Oklahoma drill," which was developed by legendary OU coach Bud Wilkinson.

Callahan said the Huskers would run the Oklahoma drill every day and noted that, after all, "it's named after my favorite school."

Sadly, he obviously still doesn't get it.

Thanks for posting that, i couldnt get to it either. seems like BC should have just stayed kinda quite after that game, kinda similar to what his players should have done when they quit the program, silence sometimes has a quality all its own. most of the stuff in this article seems like a play on words though, just reads like a post that someone would put on here, mostly just opinion.

former fan, how dare you even have the guts to call yourself a fan. your name in itself is a contradiction. no true fan quits on his team because they make a coaching change, espcially not a husker. this football team is not about coaches, or ads, or players even. its about a hundred plus year old instituition that represents everything great about football. in what other stadium can you find fans that cheer for the opposing team. in what stadium can you find over 200 former academic all americans including numerous ones from last year, and more to come. in what stadium can you find harder workers than in memorial stadium. Callahan has moved his family, come into a difficult situation with high expectations, and worked harder than Solich ever did, yet you quit on him and Nebraska before they can even get started. Im glad your a former fan, because you dont know what it means to be a Nebraska football fan, and I wish you would take your "opinions" off of this site, which is for FANS, and go find something better to do. I loved Tom, I loved Frank, and I love Bill, but most off all I love Nebraska.

Nice walk-off grand slam in the bottom of the ninth inning of game 7 to win the World Series!

Nice walk-off grand slam in the bottom of the ninth inning of game 7 to win the World Series!

First to hoya: not a walk off GS, more like a swinging bunt back to the mound.

Second, to stuck: Let me make this really easy for you, again. I didn’t quit on anything, the program was taken from Nebraskans. Heres a simple analogy that you may (or may not) understand. If your favorite restaurant starts serving up a pile of crap on a plate are you gonna go back and order it again? I won’t, and I won’t buy this pile of garbage again until the trash is taken out.

As for cally working harder than FS ever did, well, that either shows how bad of a coach he is, or how good FS was, because Frank has accomplished way more in his time than cally, and has the records to prove it. You can throw the academic AA's out the window because that is another tradition that will come to an end under this staff.

Instead of me leaving, why don’t you take your whiny little self and your opinion to the GI Indy where dissenters are not welcome? That way you can sit there and have a great "conversation" with a bunch of guys who think EXACTLY as you do, and you won’t have to face reality, or worry about a little banter.

In your (wrong) opinion, you don’t think that I know what it means to be a Nebraska fan. Well, you have no idea what being a NEBRASKAN is. Nebraskans are tough, intelligent (for the most part), have heart, have a backbone, and stand up for what they believe in. Obviously qualities that are foreign to you.