Next year's team

I think our D will be better, but not great. It will take more than a beast like Suh in the middle to get us back in the top 10 nationaly. The rest of our D will need to step up BIG TIME. I swear if I have to watch another VT dabacle, I'll lose it for sure! :hmmph

As for the offense, I think a lot of peoples concerns are unfounded. Will there be bumps in the road, sure. But the bulk of a pretty good O-line returns, and I for one think it will improve. Hell if they can get there crap together a little earlier this season the our running game should be a force to be recond with. The WR position should benifit from an influx in speed. That's the one area that should improve. Now if Paul can keep his hands on the ball he should be a hell of a target for the new QB.

Speaking of QB, I for one am only concerned with one of them. Unfortunitly Watts seems to love the guy. I hope Witt or Spano can take the reins during the spring and fall. It's only my opinion, but I think we'll be much better off with a multi dimension player at the position. If for no other reason, than to take some pressure off what will be a somewhat inexperianced O-line. But who knows, Zac Taylor got the job done so........ :dunno

Just think, we only have six and a half months until we know for sure! :nutz

i know most of us think that Qb will be a question mark but i want to know what every one else thinks about our team next year, defense i believe will be great with Suh coming back. I want to hear everyone else's opinions.

Next year should be most interesting in that who can really tell what we'll have. On defense, we know about Suh and have seen enough of guys like Turner, Allen, Dillard (if he's healthy), to know that they are solid. We hope that the natural progression that comes with experience and maturing takes guys like Asante, West, Amukamara, Thenarse, and Lawrence to the next level. Just how recovered A. Blue will be? Who knows? Will Dennerd step up? How about Compton, Steinkuhler, Toiola, Whaley, Fisher --- will they play well? The whole defense is a question mark! I do not mean that in the negative sense --- we'll be at least as good as last year and that was solid. It is just that precisely what NU will have on D is tough to assess --- too many variables and too much yet to be seen to predict. It should be fun to watch though.

On offense, there are just as many questions. Once more, not necessarily a negative statement --- just reality. Who will be the QB? Will they be good? Who replaces the WR we lost? Will guys like Holt, Gillyan, Paul, or someone youger ste up? Will the new JC reciever step up and contribute? What will the OL look like --- we lost Slauson and Murtha. But we do know that our RB's are all good --- Helu, Q and even Mendoza look good (true we have not seen a great deal of Mendoza --- but what we have seen looks good). So.... who knows.

Then we have the weakness of the team from last year --- special teams (with the noted exceptional play of our plcase kicker). Who will be returning punts, kickoffs? What about stopping them when we punt, kickoff? What about a punter? Do we have a punter?

So... it will be fun to see how it unfolds. To predict now what NU will be like is a total shot in the dark. I'd only guess, based upon nothing more than our coaches and perhaps hopeful expectation, that we'll be as good as last year. Just how much better we might be? Too early to tell.

last notion. Many feel that we'll really miss Ganz. Maybe. But I'm not so certain that his replacement will be inferior (perhaps early on somewhat, but by seasons end, whoever it is at QB should be good). And if the D and especially the special teams are better, than we'll be OK. If our QB happens to be really good from day one, well.... we'll go places.

i know most of us think that Qb will be a question mark but i want to know what every one else thinks about our team next year, defense i believe will be great with Suh coming back. I want to hear everyone else's opinions.

last notion. Many feel that we'll really miss Ganz. Maybe. But I'm not so certain that his replacement will be inferior (perhaps early on somewhat, but by seasons end, whoever it is at QB should be good). And if the D and especially the special teams are better, than we'll be OK. If our QB happens to be really good from day one, well.... we'll go places.

I agree with many of the above sentiments. There are plenty of question marks, but we should be a better team. The encouraging thing is, we saw improvement through last season and we can expect that to continue.

Now about Ganz. I don't think we'll miss his skills. He didn't have a great arm, nor was he an exceptionally good runner. We all remember the bonehead interceptions; we won't miss that! However, unless one of the QBs really steps up, I think we'll miss his heart. He was a great leader on the field. He shook off the bad plays and didn't get intimidated by anyone. He had the willingness to do whatever it took to win. He was one of the toughest Huskers the last two years. Its that attitude and toughness that made him a fan favorite (one of my favorite Huskers as well), and that will be tough to replace.

I agree with many of the above sentiments. There are plenty of question marks, but we should be a better team. The encouraging thing is, we saw improvement through last season and we can expect that to continue.

Now about Ganz. I don't think we'll miss his skills. He didn't have a great arm, nor was he an exceptionally good runner. We all remember the bonehead interceptions; we won't miss that! However, unless one of the QBs really steps up, I think we'll miss his heart. He was a great leader on the field. He shook off the bad plays and didn't get intimidated by anyone. He had the willingness to do whatever it took to win. He was one of the toughest Huskers the last two years. Its that attitude and toughness that made him a fan favorite (one of my favorite Huskers as well), and that will be tough to replace.

Excellent points on Ganz. I agree totally. In terms of skills, although we have not seen them directly, at least based upon rankings, and past performance in HS or JC, it is reasonable to suppose that perhaps Witt, Lee and Spano all have a skill set (athleticism/arm strength/accuracy/throwing mechaniscs/quickness/speed etc) that exceeds that for Ganz. The issue though is toughness and heart. At least these guys had it modeled for them in Ganz (and before that Zack Taylor). I think we'll be fine. I have no idea who among these three (Lee, Witt or Spano) will lead the way --- but at least one of them will almost certainly be really good.

Completely agree with the everything and especially the bolded area. He kept us in games, but he also lost some games or almost helped us lose some games (TT and Clemson respectively). If he could be a returning senior we would definitely be favorites to win the North and he'd be a much better quarterback.