Do we need a new board?

What should we do with the board?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I touched on this in the "ignore function" thread earlier, but decided it should be a topic of its own. We always try to solicit our members opinions before making any changes to the board, and this is certainly one of the bigger ones which will be occurring in the near future.

Looking for opinions on the direction of the board software/platform. Needless to say this decision will affect everyone, so please vote above and post any feedback or insight/opinions you have on this topic. i.e. experience with other board software, opinions on usability/design of other boards.

Option 1:

If we choose to stay with a free board, we would still have the ability to maintain our pay-per-post incentive (currently paying every member 5 cents per post).

Option 2:

If we purchase the Invision Board or another board's license, we would most likely discontinue the PPP incentive -- paying out all current member totals. This would obviously have multiple advantages, namely:

-less likely for the board to crash/more stable version

-more member features, i.e. ignore function etc.

-better looking design

-more usable in general

We try to keep this place as close to a "member-owned" board as possible -- so your opinions will weigh heavily on the direction we decide to take.

I think you should upgrade the board to some sort of platinum forum software, the kind that decides for me what I should post, keep the pay per post program going and instate a new pension plan for regular members. You are made of money, right??

But seriously, I'm cool with whatever.

I voted for the option to buy new software, and to drop the PPP aspect. I'm still amazed to find a board that actually pays members to post. But I don't think that's what keeps members coming back - I know that I don't even consider my "pay" before I post, and I suspect most of us are the same ('course, Blackshirt still hasn't rolled out the Husker Harley yet for sale - that would change my opinion and probably have me posting 24-7 ;) ).

Having run a board based on older software, I know what a pain it can be to keep it going. Data can become corrupted too easily, security holes exist, member features are limited, even Admin/Mod features are limited. I'd prefer that whatever software is the basis of the board be as stable and secure as possible - I want it up and running when I visit.

I think we have to look at a few things from a membership standpoint.

First, how many people come here because they get paid? Secondly, how many people would leave if we dropped PPP?

If we drop the PPP, will we retain the Huskerboard points via scoring guessing, trivia, etc?

I have been here since the boards inception, basically. I don't really care about the PPP. I love to have a good place to come and talk Husker sports. I would hope that our members appreciate that as well and aren't just here for the perks. I would love to have a more full featured board and would trade it for the PPP.

Are there any "mods" that we can do to the existing free board to add certain features? I know the free php board has little mods that people do. Just a thought. Maybe the features we want are in p

Maybe the phpBB has the features we want? I know phpBB 2.0.11 has an ignore feature along with others. It may not be a built in feature, but I've been on phpBB's with that function.

Anyone who isn't a mod want to chime in?

I dont post enough to actually get anything from the PPP.

I could care less if we have that or not.

I think the ignore function is the only thing that i would want...

You guys should do what you think is best for the board.

If you need to change the board to improve the way it runs you can take any ppp I have. I use the board to talk with HUSKER FANS. I buy Husker stuff on line as needed anyway. although as mentioned previously a OCC Husker chopper would be an interesting idea. I would have to figure out a way to automate my posts :lol: . At this juncture, I feel the board is great except for the ignore button is there really that feature on some boards? Some posts I would like to ignore but they have the right to post and it keeps my b/p from dropping too low :) .

I'll go with the majority being the sheep that I am :thumbs

GBR

I would like to have a more stable board - could care less about the pay per post and I dont want the ignore feature either - would rather have the mods in control of members that are out of line - also under the classified heading I stated that I work for Metro Mitsubishi - We pay $50 for referrals, and could talk to the higher ups to see if we could advertise on the site as well - point being that with all of the members that are associated with the board currently there has to be more people with this capability ( to donate) dont know how much the upgrades are but it seems like if you set up a donation most would be willing - and the ones that are here just for the money - well nuff said about that

:cheers

I would like to have a more stable board - could care less about the pay per post and I dont want the ignore feature either - would rather have the mods in control of members that are out of line - also under the classified heading I stated that I work for Metro Mitsubishi - We pay $50 for referrals, and could talk to the higher ups to see if we could advertise on the site as well - point being that with all of the members that are associated with the board currently there has to be more people with this capability ( to donate) dont know how much the upgrades are but it seems like if you set up a donation most would be willing - and the ones that are here just for the money - well nuff said about that

:cheers

Let Blackshirt know about the ads...

• 2 months later...