Joe Pa comments

Taken from an article in today's Daily Camera:

On Thursday, Paterno also mentioned that Nebraska, after a 9-3 season in 2003, fired head coach Frank Solich.

"We're not going to do what Nebraska did," Paterno said. "Look, one thing we've got to do, we've got to make sure people understand Penn State is different. We're not going to panic.

"I said, 'Let's see if we can stabilize this program and prove to the world that we're a little different.' And we went out and had a heck of a good year recruiting, and we're in the process of having another big year recruiting. And I think we should be able to win a lot more games than we've done. If we don't, then I think everybody steps back and says, 'Hey, we're on the wrong track. Paterno's wrong.'"

This should be an interesting topic. when one coaching legend says what the huskers are doing is right, i.e. ditka, alot of people are on board agreeing with him. wonder what will be said when another disagrees? if things turn around at PSU will there be more doubts about how things were handled? i know FS was no joe pa, but what if PSU takes off before things do here? kinda makes ya wonder which stratagy is gonna work? will the huskers improve drasticly or stay in somewhat of a slump, and can paterno revive the lions with old school football? those are two questions i am real interested in seeing the answers to.

This should be an interesting topic. when one coaching legend says what the huskers are doing is right, i.e. ditka, alot of people are on board agreeing with him. wonder what will be said when another disagrees? if things turn around at PSU will there be more doubts about how things were handled? i know FS was no joe pa, but what if PSU takes off before things do here? kinda makes ya wonder which stratagy is gonna work? will the huskers improve drasticly or stay in somewhat of a slump, and can paterno revive the lions with old school football? those are two questions i am real interested in seeing the answers to.

There's one significant difference, though. Note this part of Paterno's quote:

"I said, 'Let's see if we can stabilize this program and prove to the world that we're a little different.' And we went out and had a heck of a good year recruiting, and we're in the process of having another big year recruiting. And I think we should be able to win a lot more games than we've done. If we don't, then I think everybody steps back and says, 'Hey, we're on the wrong track. Paterno's wrong.'"

I think that's the difference - Solich hardly went out and had a big year recruiting. Any year.

Has Joe Pa actually been more than a figurehead at PSU in recent history anyway

Some have speculated that some of the problem has been too much involvement by Paterno. After Ganter left (OC for 30 years), there was no OC named. Play calling by committee took hold. Plays calls in are infuriatingly slow in getting to the field. Only twice last year did the QB have time to audible at the line.

We will all find out this year if Paterno's comments are correct or not. There is now enough talent (by Paterno's own admission he got 'lazy' with recruiting the last few years) and supposedly Paterno has delegated play calling some. There are no more excuses in Happy Valley. Good game to watch on TV...Oct. 8th. PSU-Ohio$tate. Night game in state college. Expect both to be 5-0.

As for his replacement...who knows. You arent going to tell Paterno he cant pick his successor. Keeping his kid on the staff isnt a good sign (he fails at everything) but the DfensiveCor. has been mentioned as the most likely choice.

However, the dark horse, IMO, is Kirk Ferentz or Iowa. He is a PA guy, has said before PSU is his dream job, (there is an escape clause in his Iowa contract if the PSU job were to open up). Plus, I saw him in state college two weeks ago with his daughter who was on a visit. Coincidentally it was the weekend of the spring game.

There's one significant difference, though. Note this part of Paterno's quote:

I think that's the difference - Solich hardly went out and had a big year recruiting. Any year

thats kinda why i tried to compare them loosely, im just interested in which stratagy will prevail i guess more then the coaches themselves.

Aren't those the same?? places to sleep eat and live in???? Now you're hittin on the natives (Just kiddin') I dont have a clue as to where you were taking that My oh so very bad.

I think it was the coaches comment about lets not do what NU did. Well, if PSU did what NU did they wouldnt be different :)

Just like comparing programs or recruiting What's past is past Improve for the future Maybe Pa Joe :wtf meant that. :)