Interesting article about former player

I think we all need to calm down a little. I think we are all Nebraska fans. All want the same thing. I understand the frustration that FF feels.

I to question the coments by Tenipor. He was fired in a round about way. He may have an ax to grind. McBride the same is true I guess. But these are two pretty devout Husker coaches. I doubt they would lie and ruin their good names if they did not feel pretty close to what they are saying. But I do take their coments with a grain of salt.

I have always been a Frank fan. But Frank was not from Nebraska, nor was Devaney. I do not think you have to be from Nebraska to understand the situation. I think BC is guilty of using some wording that leads to the belief he is not really into it. But listening to him when he talks about Nebraska I get the feeling he is here to stay. That of course is if he wins.

Some are already predicting an immediate return to domination. This is only fuel for the fans like FF. He does not feel it will happen that quickly, and I must agree with him. It will take time for this staff to win over some fans. It will take time for them to win over some of the players. This did not happen last year. For what ever reason. They have had a year together now. We will see how much better it is this fall. But there are major question marks out there.

I do believe some of the comments about lack of talent. I felt this way for many years and I started to see it happening while TO was here. I see a change in the quality of athlete coming to Nebraska. I think this is the right approach. But we are a good 4 classes behind the top programs. This one class will not put us in the top 10 of college football. We will at best this year break into the top 20. If BC gets us there, I will hope that FF and some others give him the benefit of the doubt. Nebraska needs everyone of its fans NOW. I hope this year is the start of the healing process.

True Husker fans call their team Bull.... (Sorry FF I don't cuss) .... ??? I definately don't get that one. :wacko:

Obviously, neither yourself, Stuck, or Dave understand it. I never said NU was BS, I said that cally, his staff, his football concepts are BS. I guess that ya'll also cant figure out that cally DOES NOT equal Nebraska. NU football was great before cally, and will be great after he is gone, it is much bigger than bill callahan will ever be.

callahan :rickjames is not Nebraska anything.

Has everyone not figured out that Former Fan just keep's this board alive.

He makes no sense so don't answer him. Im out for as long as ff keeps posting!!!!!!! go FING bIG rED

I'd watch out were your going with that one.

Are you threatening me?? :wtf

For the son and nephew of two former players, I would expect that you would know a little more about Nebraska: the Univ., the program, the state, its characteristics, and traditions.

I don't see anything threatening here. You mentioned someone I believe he knows. I don't think Pillen had anything in mind, but you acused him of not understanding NU. I would jump that too.

I'd watch out were your going with that one.

Are you threatening me?? :wtf

For the son and nephew of two former players, I would expect that you would know a little more about Nebraska: the Univ., the program, the state, its characteristics, and traditions.

All I can say is wow. I know plenty about the character of Nebraska, it's pride, it's loyalty. EVERYTHING. But you know, sometimes you need to change. Trust me, I loved the hard mouth football, leave your opponet in the ground, burry them with every single ounce of HEART you have. And help them right back up when there still lying there on the ground because that what a Nebraska player is suppoed to do. That's football, That's Nebraska Football. But to say that callahan is the worst thing that has ever happend to Nebraska is beyond me! Look at all the things that are happening around here right now. If pederson never came do you really think that NU would be having all this renivations? What if byrne was still here? I know Frank tried countless of times to get "new stuff" did that work out? no. Would we have pulled in a top 5 recruiting class? I don't think so. I just don't understand how you can judge him after one year. Oh no wait, it's 2 years for you, just becasue he had half a recruiting season (not even) on spring which is about 3 weeks, to get this offense in shape. And gel together the staff and the players, which the players, this was their 3rd staff in 3 years! I can see why some of them didn't want to play. But dude, give him a chance. Maybe, just maybe, the guy actually knows what he's talking about. And maybe, just maybe, Nebraska, could just be Nebraska. You know the home of the Big Red, countless of sellouts, people comming from all over the state just on gameday, to see a game. To carry the pride, the loyalty, the courage, the love, the flat out kindness, that a true husker fan has. This is what makes the state of Nebraska so GREAT. We don't care about what anyone else thinks. We do our own thing, and we'll see you at the top. And when we are there first, we'll be the first ones to help you right back up. Oh and no I'm not threatening, but I kinda wonder why you always gotta bring the family into this stuff. So Former, I'd ask you this one question, how bout you get rid of your stubborn attitude (which all uf Nebraskans have) and just give the guy a chance?

The only thing that I see happening is ONE top 5 recruiting class. That’s it, that’s not going to get NU back to the promised land, and restore the greatness of the program. Sure pud is putting a lot of money (that he doesn’t have) into the program, and making progress, which is overdue and great. We were promised a WOW!! Coach when FS was fired, and we got a guy that went 4-12, and had a player mutiny arise while he was in Oakland, and now a very similar thing happened at NU last year under his watch. Im watching patterns, cally has been a major level head coach twice, and has a pattern of turning good teams into bad teams, and turning his players against him. Also, cally and pud have done quite a few things to diminish the greatness and the integrity that are (or were) NU football and bring great embarrassment to the program, things that I have pointed out numerous times.

As for giving cally and co more time and a chance, as I have stated before, I don’t see why this staff should be given any more time than FS’s last staff (Cotton, Pelini, Sanders, Williams, etc). They had very good results compared to the current regime, and for pud to sit back and say “You need to be patient,” frankly, it smacks of hypocrisy. There are times when I feel that I am softening to cally, but then all I have to do is remember the “Its just one game, just one season quote” and it brings back the entire disgust that I have for him, as it does for others that I know, some of who are very close to the program.

I mean no disrespect to you or your family, and if you felt that I have, I apologize. By all accounts, your dad and uncle were very good/great players, and even though I don’t know them personally, I would have to assume that they are very good people, too. I have looked at your personal website, and I agree with and respect a lot of the things that you do in your private time, and the topics that you have on that site. My only point is that I would have to assume that since they are former players, the program means even more to them (and their families) than it does to the rest of us “common fan”, and you should all have a better understanding of the program and its traditions. It’s certainly not a knock, even if it appears that way. It’s a compliment.

One other thing, and again, no disrespect intended, but if you publicly claim to have an inside scoop (your family), then that topic is open for discussion. If you make the claim, then unfortunately, its a lot like politics.

I appreciate and respect your upbeat attitude, but this staff has a lot to prove.

formerfan,

Feel free to move out of Nebraska at any time. Just by your commentsalone, it's pretty obvious that you are less a Nebraskan or Husker fan than anyone I know. I could care less what awful, horrible, no-good, very-bad things you have lived through. You're a bitter, dried up prune. Go join a Barbcat BBS so you can pine over Feckless Frank.

Solich was a terrible head Coach. He drove the Huskers right down to mediocre-town. Callahan has to clean up his mess, and he's doing a fine job.

Instead of "Bill the Idiot", I proclaim you "formerfan the Idiot".

I know this conversation has been getting pretty intense, which is fine to an extent. But as a friendly reminder b/c 1huskerfan is still pretty new, the one thing we CAN NOT allow is name calling, i.e. "FF the idiot". I realize it's a pretty soft jab overall, but I think we can all agree that we dont want this board to turn into a big name calling contest.

And remember that if you really need to vent, feel free to do so in the 'Behind the Woodshed' forum. Just remember that while some friendly fire is acceptable, member threats are not.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Great post HACK. Hadn't seen that in awhile. :lol: heh heh

Pillen, I think most of the posters here have very similar viewpoints and feelings that you do for the team and the staff. One side of this argument will eventually eat some CROW.

as always

:horns2

GBR

1. Soooo, your saying Nebraska was GREAT when Frank Solich was here? HA! Maybe when he played, but never when he was the HEAD coach.

2. Cally is more Nebraska then you'll EVER be.

1. I never said that Frank was a great head coach, but he is much better than callahan. Im not a math major, but I sure as all hell can figure out that a .753 winning % is alot better than .455, and if I remember right, Frank coached in and WON bowl games, won a conf championship and a BCS game, coached in a NC game, won coach of the year honors.

Bad coaches dont do that, bad coaches go 4-12.

2. cally is more NE than what?? Let me tell you something, BUDDY, I have lived in NE my whole life, spent more time around NU football, been to more games, watched more film, had more heartache about NU football that bill callahan ever will. His "Just one game, just one season" quote from last year sums up just how little "bill the idiot" knows about NU football and its tradition. See, while cally has to read books on NUs history, talk all this garbage about tradition, kiss butt to a few selected former assistant coaches (those with an axe to grind against FS), to get in the good graces of Husker fans--I dont have to do those things. These are things that I have lived through, that I have experienced, things that a chat with a former coach, or reading a f*****g book could never, ever, ever in a million years give you. cally doesnt get it, and never really will, its much bigger than the football team or the university, its about a way of life.

I AM Nebraska, born and bred. cally is not.

PS--For a guy whos dad and uncle supposedly played for NU, I would expect a little more from you. (Yeah, and I DO know who Clete and Jim Pillen are)

I'm being honest here, I love your passion for this program, it shows. BUt it's hard for me to believe that the program to such a nose dive in one year all because of one person. There are other things that happened before, in other "administrations." Callahan did some things wrong, but I can not blame it all on him. I blame more of it on Solich than Callahan. Whether it's 60/40, 75/25, or more like to me anyway 90/10, one man cannot destroy so much in so little time. Just a few thoughts.

Well with age comes knowledge I guess. Now that a major joke if I have ever heard one. I turned 58 today. Still feel like I was 21 but know it is not true. I celebrated by doing a 40 mile bike ride with 200 pushups, and jogging 3 miles. I amazed myself by doing the 3 miles in just over 24 minutes. But I have been training for Worlds, so things seem to be moving in the right direction. Enough on the bull side.

We all love this program. And I tend to get a little defensive about it. Say some things I should not. I have been a fan of this program for nearly 50 years. I am what is considered a booster. I put alot of money into the program, so I do get some information that is not normally around. I, like FF and many others have questions about this program. But I tend to think BC is the right answer. I have many friends who are really big buck boosters that I have met over the years. Every one of them that has met Bill seem to think he is great. There are very few that do not endores him. These are pretty savy business men who know talent and character. I will have the opportunity this fall to set down with BC. I am very excited about it.

I know that BC battled many problems with in the team last year. I hope those problems are cleared up and the team moves ahead as a team. It truly was not a team last year. Way too many wars and battles with in. From what I am hearing things are a lot better. We should see another dose of improvent when the new kids get here. They will have no knowledge of the past and that should help. There will be no "Well we did it this way last year coming from them" . That should help in overall team moral. I look for a pretty good year, I am still very concerned about depth. That for me is the number one concern.

Well with age comes knowledge I guess. Now that a major joke if I have ever heard one. I turned 58 today. Still feel like I was 21 but know it is not true. I celebrated by doing a 40 mile bike ride with 200 pushups, and jogging 3 miles. I amazed myself by doing the 3 miles in just over 24 minutes. But I have been training for Worlds, so things seem to be moving in the right direction. Enough on the bull side.

We all love this program. And I tend to get a little defensive about it. Say some things I should not. I have been a fan of this program for nearly 50 years. I am what is considered a booster. I put alot of money into the program, so I do get some information that is not normally around. I, like FF and many others have questions about this program. But I tend to think BC is the right answer. I have many friends who are really big buck boosters that I have met over the years. Every one of them that has met Bill seem to think he is great. There are very few that do not endores him. These are pretty savy business men who know talent and character. I will have the opportunity this fall to set down with BC. I am very excited about it.

I know that BC battled many problems with in the team last year. I hope those problems are cleared up and the team moves ahead as a team. It truly was not a team last year. Way too many wars and battles with in. From what I am hearing things are a lot better. We should see another dose of improvent when the new kids get here. They will have no knowledge of the past and that should help. There will be no "Well we did it this way last year coming from them" . That should help in overall team moral. I look for a pretty good year, I am still very concerned about depth. That for me is the number one concern.

Good post, and Happy B-day to you good sir!! Heres to another 50 years of great Husker memories!! :wasted (thats me on the right)