Topeka Founder's Day Dinner 3/7

We had a great gathering of 250 fans in Topeka for our Founder’s Day Dinner with Dr. Tom Osborne last Saturday night. Due to his attendance at the Big XII wrestling tournament in Lincoln his time at the social hour was limited but he was gracious in greeting those that formed a line to introduce themselves and have their picture taken with him.

During his remarks, he emphasized that culture changes needed to be addressed when he assumed the AD position. He said they’ve tried to change the culture in the athletic department, their relationship with the University, and with the fans across the state. He’s worked hard at healing the rifts that existed upon his arrival and he felt great strides have been made.

He’s ecstatic on the major gifts the Athletic Department has received towards the basketball program and the Student Life Center recently. He talked about how important the center will be for all athletes and this was apparent to me it is one of his ‘pet projects’.

On football recruiting, he felt he was successful because he didn’t make promises he couldn’t keep but found it frustrating to lose some young men because they chased those dreams at other schools. In some cases, the promises ‘of playing on Sunday’ may have come true but in the end there were many student-athletes disappointed. He chose to promise his recruits they’d get a fair shot on the field and do whatever they could to make sure they had a college degree when they left Lincoln.

He believes Bo Pelini shares his principles on recruiting. Tom received a phone call from Rodney Peete that wanted to meet with him personally about a nephew (no name mentioned) that was staying with him. Tom went to Coach Pelini and Bo said he couldn’t follow up on pursuing the athlete because he had promised another young man that if he signed he would not pursue any other running backs in this class.

His comments on recruiting classes by rating services– Don’t sweat our ratings as it takes two years to determine how well the overall class fits into the program.

On Big XII revenue sharing – he doesn’t envision any near future changes in any of the formulas.

On his tenure as AD – he serves at the pleasure of the Chancellor – but he did say he really wants to stay until the Student Life Center is up and running, again I cold tell how passionate he is about this new facility.

I’d be negligent if I didn’t mention remarks made by Diane Mendenhall, the new Executive Director of the Nebraska Alumni Association, which preceded Dr. Osborne. She mentioned the national rankings for Universities that rank Nebraska highly and the high amount of grants the U is receiving for research. The University is proud to have record enrollment this year but is really concerned about the economy and the potential enrollees next fall as applications are already behind. On a positive note, the NAA has received petitions from 19 new alumni/booster/fan groups from across the country that want to establish new clubs. Her presentation received really high marks from those alumni in attendance too.

Our Chapter in Topeka is really active with, a tailgate before the NU vs Kansas baseball game on April 25th, Sean Callahan speaking May 9th, and Carl Pelini speaking at our family picnic on August 1st. You are all welcome to attend and watch our website for more details at www.neks4nebraska.com. It would be a great one day road trip for many of you if you can join us.

The only disappointment to the evening? I wished some of you could have attended...especially Huskerprid from Manhattan and his 'corn fed gal'.

Maybe next time TopekaHusker, had to go to Georgia and Florida for a couple of weeks. Took my "Northern" Belle with me to represent everyone above the Mason-Dixon line :) Keep us posted on other up-coming events though GBR!!!!!!!!!!!

That's your gal in your avatar and sig line? I love those boots she's wearing...I have a similar pair... :clap

Sorry for the digression...good job on the TO recap topekahusker... :lol:

He believes Bo Pelini shares his principles on recruiting. Tom received a phone call from Rodney Peete that wanted to meet with him personally about a nephew (no name mentioned) that was staying with him. Tom went to Coach Pelini and Bo said he couldn’t follow up on pursuing the athlete because he had promised another young man that if he signed he would not pursue any other running backs in this class.

I really hate this. I don't think we should be promising to not take more than one kid at any position, if we sign one fine, if we sign two than they can compete.. if a kid wants to be the only one at the position, #1 it means they don't want to compete and #2 it means if they don't pan out we have a position gap.

Maybe next time TopekaHusker, had to go to Georgia and Florida for a couple of weeks. Took my "Northern" Belle with me to represent everyone above the Mason-Dixon line :) Keep us posted on other up-coming events though GBR!!!!!!!!!!!

That's your gal in your avatar and sig line? I love those boots she's wearing...I have a similar pair... :clap

Sorry for the digression...good job on the TO recap topekahusker... :lol:

Ya, That's my Gal. I love those boots too!! ;) Wow.........the mind does wander......back to football :thumbs