1990s Bryce Brown is at NU?

He is the type of back that we don't get here anymore. He is a Phillips and Green type back, even Evans in year one. A difference maker at I-back, but we are able to get by with the workman and I-backs by committee system we have now.

Based on high school stats against mediocre competition?!

Seriously... let's talk in 4 years. Let me know then if you think he is a Phillips/Green type back.

It's not so different now as you might think.

If you mean it isn't that much different as in we play mulitple backs then sure. However that being said none of the backs here now would have even sniffed the field in 1995 season.

Jay Simms was 5th string that year. I bet he'd be starting on the 2009 team.

Man, you guys are not giving Helu much love. We saw Simms carry the ball a couple of times, so we really don't have any idea how good he was.

Remeber, those guys were also running behind the " Pipeline", which was the best O-Line in Husker history.

I wasn't bashing talent by any means, and I wasn't trying to compare talent levels newhearthusker.

I'm just saying, the multiple back set isn't something that is new to us. We did it all the time before this new system, and thank you for reminding me about Childs :cheers

If you mean it isn't that much different as in we play mulitple backs then sure. However that being said none of the backs here now would have even sniffed the field in 1995 season.

Agreed. I like our backs now and appreciate having them. That said, none would have been in the top three --- or with Clinton Childs, perhaps even the top 4 (maybe). I suppose it could be argued that several of our current guys are fairly comparable to Benning and/or Childs --- and that might be a reasonable statement --- but, generally, the quality of 1995 was exceptional.

I don't think you're being fair 1) to the backs we have now 2) just how good the OL was in 1995. Clinton Childs who was like the 4th stringer started one game because of injury and had like almost 150 yards rushing. Benning had fumbleitis. In fact early in their careers, he was ranked above Phillips on the depth chart. It was when he started laying the egg on the field that Phillips took over his spot. Helu would be a Heisman candidate if he had the OL we did in 95' and we put as much emphasis on the run as we did in 95'. The big uglies up front never get the accolades they deserve.

He is the type of back that we don't get here anymore. He is a Phillips and Green type back, even Evans in year one. A difference maker at I-back, but we are able to get by with the workman and I-backs by committee system we have now.

You know, we actually had quite a "committee" of backs at NU through out the decades. Take 1995 for example. If they were all healthy (and out of legal trouble) we had Lawrence Phillips, Ahman Green, and Damon Benning all getting quite a few reps in the game they were healthy in. No we have Helu, Castille, and Mendoza (with the possibility of Okafor and maybe Ward finding a way onto the field).

1995 was only somewhat evenly split in carries because of Phillips' suspension, and because the many blowouts gave Osborne a chance to split the load. In 1994, Phillips carried 4X more than anyone else, and 95 would've been pretty similar.

1997 was pretty similar with Green getting over 5X more carries than any other I-back. Rozier in 1983 was like that too. Look at any close game in those years, and you'll see there was no committee at all.

In some other years, we had the "We-backs", or Evans/Green, or Rozier/Craig, but that was basically having 2 guys with the uber-talent. And then there were years where we didn't have any super backs.

Didn't Lucky look like he was going to be one of those difference makers when he came in? And he was very good, just not the dominating force like Phillips, Green and Rozier were.

Bryce Brown may or may not ever be a great back in college. I know I'm glad we weren't part of his circus. I'll bet Tennessee gets one good year out of him.

Well, I highly doubt Brown can be any bigger of a circus than the tool Tennessee hired as head coach. What a douche pump. He cries foul to the NCAA on an issue that isn't even against the rules. He's now pissed off every coach and player for Florida. I wouldn't be shocked to see Urban lay 70 up on them this year. I predict Lane will be one of the biggest busts in D1 coaching history. It's one thing for an 18-23 year old player to talk trash to an opposing team. It's completely another for the friggin head coach to do it. Lane will never be able to even hold Urban's jockstrap with regards to coaching.

Jay Simms was 5th string that year. I bet he'd be starting on the 2009 team.

Jay Simms was an outstanding physical speciman. Other than I think the coaches didn't particularly like his attitude, he was more gifted than most of those ahead of him on the depth chart. I believe he was the fastest player on the team while at NU. He also had some size checking in at around 6'1 220 pounds.