new contract for Pelini

Nobody had a problem with AIG's, GM's, etc. CEO's making the big bucks until things headed south. What happens if we win like 4 games this next season? I thought it was stupid to give Clownahan a raise before the USC game, and I think we're a bit premature this time around as well. I've said it many times before. If we have to get into a bidding war to keep a good coach, we're going to lose the majority of the time. If a coach comes here or stays here because of the money, is this really the coach we want?

the article says that the revenue for football was 85% of the total athletic department. That should cause a raise right there. Also, don't you think NU is a prestige job?

It is, and we will win a lot of bidding wars. I guess a sellout streak and total devotion to the program by millions doesn't give you any income? Why do you think that we can give a raise right now after buying out Pud and Callahan? It is because this program has money, I hate that we always try to pretend it doesn't. They have major cashflow. Even Osborne has said on several occasions that the athletic department is on "very solid ground", and with his calm demeanor....well take it how you want to take that.

edit: also, if you don't think the head coach of Nebraska should be paid at least middle of the road in the B12 you are seriously underestimating the pressure this job entails. I would argue that is should be top 3 considering the expectations and history that come with this program barely ten years removed from the most dominant stretch in college football history.

Nobody had a problem with AIG's, GM's, etc. CEO's making the big bucks until things headed south. What happens if we win like 4 games this next season? I thought it was stupid to give Clownahan a raise before the USC game, and I think we're a bit premature this time around as well. I've said it many times before. If we have to get into a bidding war to keep a good coach, we're going to lose the majority of the time. If a coach comes here or stays here because of the money, is this really the coach we want?

I don't see a bidding war anywhere. Can you tell me who else was involved? This is about bringing Bo's salary more in line with the rest of the top or even middle programs in the Big XII. He's STILL not in the top half. Success should be rewarded. It's not as though Bo said he was going to bolt unless he got another $700,000. You can talk all you want about someone wanting to coach here because he "wants to be here," but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be paid in line with the kind of job Nebraska is. Considering $1.1M is what we paid an unproven head coach over 10 years ago perfectly justifies the money in my eyes. Can you name anything else that is the same price or less than it was 10 years ago?

Actually, I can tell you something that's cheaper than it was 17 years ago. Have you looked what a single cab half ton pickup costs these days? You can buy one cheaper than I did when I graduated high school. Back on topic. The mean average wage for wage earners (not self employed) here in Nebraska is 35,000. Why exactly do you think some of the things happening in the economy today is happening? Job sectors were out there competing with one another to hire the most sought after CEO's. This is how their bonuses and wages spiraled out of control into the abyss we're at today. I can see sports doing the exact same thing. Nebraska football has never been about trying to "keep up with the Jones's". It just appears to me that this is what we're doing here. Can you tell me what will happen if we only win 4 games this season?

the article says that the revenue for football was 85% of the total athletic department. That should cause a raise right there. Also, don't you think NU is a prestige job?

It is, and we will win a lot of bidding wars. I guess a sellout streak and total devotion to the program by millions doesn't give you any income? Why do you think that we can give a raise right now after buying out Pud and Callahan? It is because this program has money, I hate that we always try to pretend it doesn't. They have major cashflow. Even Osborne has said on several occasions that the athletic department is on "very solid ground", and with his calm demeanor....well take it how you want to take that.

edit: also, if you don't think the head coach of Nebraska should be paid at least middle of the road in the B12 you are seriously underestimating the pressure this job entails. I would argue that is should be top 3 considering the expectations and history that come with this program barely ten years removed from the most dominant stretch in college football history.

Nebraska a prestige job? No. If it were a prestige job then Pud wouldn't have had to fall back on what his 4th or 5th choice to take the job in 04'. Fans of NU football have got to keep perspective. Lincoln isn't the easiest place to recruit to. We're not right smack dab in the middle to a recruiting hotbed. We don't have a coastal climate. Look at Notre Dame for instance. It was Urban Meyers dream job, but he turned it down. Why? Because he realized that it would be a lot harder to win there than it ever would be at Florida. Lincoln is in the same boat. It is harder to win in Lincoln, NE than it is for the coastal and warm climate schools. Ohio State is the last non coastal state to win the NC, and that was 7 years ago. In the last decade, only two teams have won the NC that didn't reside on a coast.

We may win bidding wars with middle of the road coaches, but I highly doubt we'll ever lure a Saban to Lincoln. We couldn't do it in 04', and I'm not even sure if we tried in 08'.