1 new commit

Juco forward commits to Nebraska

link: LJS

One of two junior college players who visited Lincoln over the weekend is set to join the Nebraska men's basketball team.

The other may not be far behind.

Lance Jeter of Polk (Fla.) Community College is mulling his decision, but Jeter said Monday night that teammate Quincy Hankins has given Nebraska his oral commitment.

Hankins is a 6-foot-8, 240-pound forward from Long Island, N.Y. He averaged 15.8 points and 12.2 rebounds this season for Polk, which finished 26-6. South Carolina, South Florida, Seton Hall, Georgia Tech, Oklahoma and Rutgers had also recruited Hankins.

"He committed," Jeter said of Hankins, "and he's very, very happy."

Jeter is a 6-3 point guard who said he "feels strong about Nebraska." He's spending his spring break this week at his home in Beaver Falls, Pa., and wants to visit with his mother about his choice of school.

Kent State, Duquesne, Seton Hall and South Florida have also been recruiting Jeter. He said he hopes to make his decision by Wednesday.

"I was very pleased with what they showed me and how they treated me," Jeter said of his weekend visit to Lincoln.

A former wide receiver for the University of Cincinnati football team, Jeter said he's still carrying football weight. He said he weighs 230 pounds "and some change" but intends to lose 15 to 20 pounds.

"After I lose that weight," he said, "I'll be unstoppable."

Jeter wasn't all that bad with the extra weight. He averaged 15.9 points, 4.5 assists, 5.6 rebounds and two steals while shooting 42.8 percent this season for Polk.

Jeter said he felt great trust with Nebraska coach Doc Sadler.

"A great, great coach, obviously," Jeter said. "He's a coach that he's just going to tell you the truth and keep it real. As a point guard, I need to trust the coach, and he needs to trust me.

"He just told me if I come there, he said I had to be a leader right away," Jeter said, "and I want to be."

Nebraska is currently at the 13-player scholarship limit for next season, but Sadler said he'd like to sign one or two junior college players. The spring signing period begins April 15.

Of the current roster, the Huskers could lose Chris Balham, who has a year of eligibility remaining but is graduating in May. Balham has been limited because of bad knees and is seeing doctors to determine whether to continue with his career.

Also, German recruit Christian Standhardinger, who signed in November, must complete a German exit exam before becoming eligible. Then, the NCAA may rule that Standhardinger sit out a season and lose a year of eligibility because he played on a club team in which other players were paid.

Sadler said he doesn't know if Standhardinger, who is attracting professional interest overseas, would still come to Nebraska if the NCAA rules him ineligible for one season

it is good to have them commit. But i have learned not to get excited til I see them play in a game, still plenty of time for them to not qualify or not pan out. I hate being negative, but look at NU's recruits since Doc got here.

like which ones? just people not getting in? Sallie was a weird big 12 rule... and overseas players are completely different animals than juco kids...

it is good to have them commit. But i have learned not to get excited til I see them play in a game, still plenty of time for them to not qualify or not pan out. I hate being negative, but look at NU's recruits since Doc got here.

like which ones? just people not getting in? Sallie was a weird big 12 rule... and overseas players are completely different animals than juco kids...

Shang Ping, Alex Chapman, Rishawn Norwood, Strowbridge (was a little effective), Kris Douse, Toni Soda