Nebraska shuffles O-line; Hickman moves to guard

Link

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP)—If there was one position on the Nebraska football team that appeared locked up going into spring, it was Jacob Hickman at center.

But Hickman was working at right guard and Mike Caputo moved into the middle on Wednesday, a sign that the Cornhuskers coaching staff is not comfortable standing pat at any spot.

Hickman, a senior who started all 13 games at center last season, wasn’t the only offensive lineman in a new spot as the Huskers began the third of four weeks of spring practice.

“We made a couple switches, and we may switch a couple more things before spring gets out,” offensive line coach Barney Cotton said. “To be honest with you, I think you evaluate this thing up front until you get about a week before that first game.”

Nebraska started the spring with Marcel Jones at right tackle, D.J. Jones and Ricky Henry sharing the right guard spot, Hickman at center, Keith Williams at left guard and Mike Smith at left tackle.

The new alignment has Marcel Jones at right tackle, Hickman at right guard with Henry behind him, Caputo at center, Williams at left guard and Smith at left tackle with D.J. Jones behind him.

Cotton said the moves were necessary because Caputo, a walk-on from Omaha, has proved to be one of the top five linemen. Hickman was the regular left guard in 2007 before moving to center last spring.

“Jake is probably the smartest guy we have up front,” Cotton said. “He understands the inside line play. It hasn’t been a difficult move for him.”

The 6-foot-1, 275-pound Caputo played well in the five games in which he appeared last season, Cotton said.

Hickman said Caputo is a tireless worker in the weight room—he gained 10 pounds in the offseason—and soaked up everything he saw in film sessions.

“He’s really earned what he’s got,” Hickman said.

I have to wonder if this move wasn't a bit of a motivational tool. I had very high hopes that Henry would move into that RG spot and become the emotional catalyst on that lline that we havn't really seen since Incognito. Though, hopefully with a little more self control. If Hickman were to stick at RG I would have to worry about Henry's progression, but since he's moved back to center, I kind of think Cotton was trying to push his younger guys.