Cody admits to lying...

Next twist, please.

Washington draft pick Cody Glenn has admitted that he lied when he told reporters that his suspension at Nebraska last season stemmed from his selling football tickets.

Glenn told The Associated Press on Tuesday that he made up the story about selling his tickets, which would have been a violation of NCAA rules. The fifth-round pick said he wanted to satisfy reporters and get them to quit asking him about the suspension.

“It was me being dumb, just trying to have people leave me alone,” Glenn said. “It’s something I said that I probably shouldn’t have, looking at it now.”

[+]Enlarge

Story Photo

Story Photo

NU athletic department officials told the Journal star on Monday that they had no knowledge of Glenn selling tickets.

Glenn spoke with department officials Tuesday morning to clear things up.

Nebraska coach Bo Pelini suspended Glenn in November for the last three games, saying the linebacker violated team rules.

Glenn on Tuesday refused to disclose the real reason for his suspension, saying it was between him and Pelini.

The suspension spawned numerous rumors on fan message boards. Glenn said he went with the ticket story because he knew that was one of the rumors circulating about him.

“So many people kept asking me about it, everywhere I go,” Glenn said. “That was the rumor out there, so I just said, ’OK, yeah, I sold tickets.’

“It was just so people would kind of leave me alone, just to get them an answer, for people who had to have an answer. There’s so much I’m going through, trying to finish up school. And to have people constantly nagging in my ear about ‘What did you do?’ blah, blah, blah. I got tired of that. That’s all that is. I didn’t mean to confuse anyone.”

After Washington selected him Sunday, he told reporters covering the team: “I got caught up with selling some tickets I wasn’t supposed to. I did it, and I got caught up in it. Coach Pelini had to do what he had to do, but it wasn’t nothing really big. It was just something where they didn’t want to hurt the team.”

Glenn said he didn’t think his original comment would create such a stir. He said he got caught up in the excitement of the moment after being picked surprisingly high.

“I’m trying to enjoy everything that happened Sunday with the draft,” he said. “All of a sudden, I can’t win for losing. I want to put this behind me and start clean in Washington and start playing football.”

Still incredulous...

Glenn said he didn’t think his original comment would create such a stir. He said he got caught up in the excitement of the moment after being picked surprisingly high by the Redskins.

Are you stupid?! How hard could it have been to just say "We're not talking about that, it is just between me and Bo" like he has to say now? How could you POSSIBLY think it's a good idea to obviously lie when there's so much scrutiny? This statement of his is just plain awkward. It's all his fault though, there's no way he could have made a graceful exit from that one.

Oh but it gets worse.....

Cody Glenn Says He Lied About The Reason For His Suspension

Updated 7:50 p.m.:

Redskins fifth-round pick Cody Glenn was suspended for three games by Nebraska last season, this much we know.

Over the weekend I had sources with two other NFL teams say that from the information they had on the player, Glenn was suspended for a ticket-scalping incident.

And on Sunday, minutes after the linebacker was drafted by the Skins, we asked Glenn on a conference call why he was suspended. Trust me, it was no huge deal, no big probe, just one direct, open-ended question. And Glenn said that he was suspended for a ticket scandal.

Then, this afternoon an Associated Press story moves on the the wire from Nebraska, where a reporter spoke to Glenn. And Glenn told this reporter that he made up the story about the tickets when he spoke to the Redskins beat reporters on Sunday.

According to the AP story, Glenn said he told us the story about the tickets to get us off his back (although one innocuous questiuon during a conference call hardly constitutes a major inquest; if anything Glenn, who played at running back before switching to LB for his senior season, has made this a bigger issue than anyone ever perceived it to be).

"It's me being dumb, just trying to have people leave me alone," Glenn told the AP when asked today about why he gave the Washington media the story about the tickets. "It's something I said that I probably shouldn't have, looking at it now."

Sources from two NFL teams also said that when they asked Glenn at the scouting combine why he had been suspended, he told them it was for ticket scalping.

"Good luck whenever he gets waived," one NFL source said, noting that the teams Glenn lied to at the draft -- which could number quite a few -- will not be pleased that he misled them.

According to the AP, Nebraska's athletic department said yesterday that it had no knowledge of the player selling any tickets. Glenn refused to tell the AP what the real reason for the suspension was, saying it is a private matter between him and the school. Calls to Glenn's agent, Kevin Robinson, were not immediately returned.

Well, for a kid who earned academic and citizenship honors in college, he's managed to make the first 72 hours of his NFL career way more interesting than they needed to be. He was a reach pick in the fifth round, given his lack of defensive experience and slight frame, and rather than being another unassuming rookie, I'm guessing he's going to get a much bigger dose of the D.C. media when he arrives for minicamp Friday, complete with multiple follow-up questions and all.

Bizarre. Rarely a dull day at Redskins Park, even in the dog days of spring.

By Jason La Canfora | April 28, 2009; 7:02 PM ET

Cody Glenn Says He Lied About The Reason For His Suspension

truthfully i dont really care why Cody got suspended. Breaking the rules is the same thing, no matter the circumstance.

If Washington really cares im sure they will just contact Bo and ask him to disclose the information on his suspension and im pretty sure they will keep it among themselves.

In the meantime, my congrats to Cody for being drafted. and i hope he thinks things out a bit more in the future.