Congress to regulate the BCS

Here's an article fresh off the press:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...gKhZCwD97S9QJO2

Congress is actually going to be looking at intervening in the NCAA to force it to move to a playoff system:

"Rep. Joe Barton of Texas, for example, has sponsored legislation that would prevent the NCAA from calling a college football game a "national championship" unless it results from a playoff system."

Are you *#$@* kidding me? I mean whether or not you are for a playoff system, you have to see that the government is clearly overstepping its bounds when trying to interfere in an entirely private organization like the NCAA. Unreal.

As for a playoff system, I seem to be one of only a handful of people out there who actually am opposed to the playoff system. Why? Because right now every single football game is a "life or death" situation for the team. It makes every game invaluable. If we go to a playoff system, no one would care about each individual game, and only the playoffs would get good ratings. Look at NCAA basketball, does anyone care what happens durring the main season? No. I really hope the system does not change, or it at least goes back to the old bowl system.

No kidding, looking to see if its "fair". holy shi*** think about it. The NCAA is a private company, they have the right to do anything they want. If it turned out that some team had been paying the NCAA to win the national title every year, so be it, it would suck for us, but they are a private company and have the right to do anything they choose. Its just unreal.

I don't think this is something to get too exercised about. One congressman with a misplaced sense of priorities is using his senior position on a sub-committee to have a hearing. This is quite a ways from "congress to regulate the BCS" hysteria. I'd be shocked if any BCS regulating legislation made it out of sub-committee, let alone committee, and to a full vote. Congress has way too much other stuff going on for something dumb like this to ever get any kind of traction.

I'd hazard a guess that this is the sub-committee's senior Republican Obstructionist congressman's effort to prevent some other issue from being heard in the sub-committee meeting on Friday.

Here's an article fresh off the press:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...gKhZCwD97S9QJO2

Congress is actually going to be looking at intervening in the NCAA to force it to move to a playoff system:

"Rep. Joe Barton of Texas, for example, has sponsored legislation that would prevent the NCAA from calling a college football game a "national championship" unless it results from a playoff system."

Are you *#$@* kidding me? I mean whether or not you are for a playoff system, you have to see that the government is clearly overstepping its bounds when trying to interfere in an entirely private organization like the NCAA. Unreal.

As for a playoff system, I seem to be one of only a handful of people out there who actually am opposed to the playoff system. Why? Because right now every single football game is a "life or death" situation for the team. It makes every game invaluable. If we go to a playoff system, no one would care about each individual game, and only the playoffs would get good ratings. Look at NCAA basketball, does anyone care what happens durring the main season? No. I really hope the system does not change, or it at least goes back to the old bowl system.

Count me as one on your side...

It's the controversy, baby.

I love that every game is "Life or Death"..I even still enjoy arguing with MeChicken or Penn State fans over our shared championships.

How would playoffs be any better?

Does anyone think the Steelers were really the best NFL team last season?

The Cardinals almost beat them in the SB and they sucked most of the year.

really doubt the govt will do anything about the bcs, its funny that they even talk about it though. looks like we're all gonna be stuck with the BCS for awhile

Congress will never force the NCAA to do anything, it doesn't make any sense and has little to no effect on politics. This has to be the biggest crock of sh*t I think Congress has ever wasted time thinking about.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in favor of an eventual playoff system, but not one that is forced upon us by Congress.

really doubt the govt will do anything about the bcs, its funny that they even talk about it though. looks like we're all gonna be stuck with the BCS for awhile

It's probably a cheap ploy for votes.

Like going to a gradeschool and saying you're going to outlaw Broccoli.

Perfect example of why Majority shouldn't always rule.

The Steelers were the best team in the NFL last year. All other teams had their chance and failed. That's why the playoffs work. Because all arguments against the team that won end with the winning team pointing to a scoreboard. As far as the "every game counts" theory, well, let's just say that is a load of garbage. If you start the season ranked low or not ranked, you automatically have less of a chance to win the title. Teams that had great winning seasons a year ago are in better position when some clearly don't have a team like they had the year before. And the teams that start at the very top can lose early in the season without much penalty.

That said, the congress should not get involved. This is the NCAA's mess, and, if they want to blow it, there is nothing that can be done about it.

Perfect example of why Majority shouldn't always rule.

Huh? It's a Republican (you know, the minority party?) congressman using his position as the ranking member of the sub-committee in question to hold a hearing on the subject during tomorrow's meeting. It's an utter waste of time for the handful of representatives and stafffers that have to sit through this crap, but it's got nothing to do with the majority running anything.

A little googling tells me that this guy is firmly on the right-wing end of the of the Grand Obstructionist Party's spectrum, judging by his voting record, recent news articles and participation in the Tea Party stupidfest. My theory that he is doing this to prevent some other topic that he opposes from being heard on Friday doesn't seem too far fetched for this guy.

hey this means everything is fixed right? no more world hunger and stuff like that? otherwise...why the hell are they talking about this.

Yeah, if government wants to "fix" college football just like they've "fixed" social security, Medicare, education, etc. etc., etc., I think I might be a pro football fan very soon.