Coaching Decisions

It seems like every coaching decision that could possibly be made is discussed on this board. Whether it involves redshirting players, recruiting, playcalling or disciplinary action we find a way to disect and discuss it. Is Pelini constantly thinking about all the scenarios we're discussing or do you think he just rolls with the punches and deals with the problems as they arise? I know he's a proactive coach so he probably has thought about many of the issues we discuss, but how much of it do we blow out of proportion if any at all? Anybody ever discuss this with him? Thoughts?

It seems like every coaching decision that could possibly be made is discussed on this board. Whether it involves redshirting players, recruiting, playcalling or disciplinary action we find a way to disect and discuss it. Is Pelini constantly thinking about all the scenarios we're discussing or do you think he just rolls with the punches and deals with the problems as they arise? I know he's a proactive coach so he probably has thought about many of the issues we discuss, but how much of it do we blow out of proportion if any at all? Anybody ever discuss this with him? Thoughts?

That's what assistant coaches are for, you delegate different tasks and then meet with them to discuss. It's just like a business, you can't do everything by yourself that's why you hire people.

That's what assistant coaches are for, you delegate different tasks and then meet with them to discuss. It's just like a business, you can't do everything by yourself that's why you hire people.

But the presidents/bosses of those companies still make the decisions, don't they? How overboard do you think we go in analyzing some of the scenarios?

It depends on the situation you're talking about. Take for example the Cody Glenn suspension. Whatever it was, it wasn't ticket scalping. Bo knows the reason he suspended Glenn. There's no shroud of mystery for him. With the complete information that Bo has on every decision he has to make, his deliberation process is probably pretty brief most of the time. As fans we know what we get from sources like the media or people who know people. Our analysis is more a recreational hobby than a representation of Bo's decision making process.

It depends on the situation you're talking about. Take for example the Cody Glenn suspension. Whatever it was, it wasn't ticket scalping. Bo knows the reason he suspended Glenn. There's no shroud of mystery for him. With the complete information that Bo has on every decision he has to make, his deliberation process is probably pretty brief most of the time. As fans we know what we get from sources like the media or people who know people. Our analysis is more a recreational hobby than a representation of Bo's decision making process.

I think the discussion that most made me think about this, was whether or not we should redshirt Green. Some of the "what ifs" being discussed were pretty far out there. I think if Bo was thinking along the lines of some fans he'd never be able to coach because he'd be too worried about the "what ifs."

But the presidents/bosses of those companies still make the decisions, don't they? How overboard do you think we go in analyzing some of the scenarios?

The boss always has the final decision - you can't rule by committee and yes I think everyone goes overboard analyzing everything. Funny thing is that people make things diffucult that's why the world is in the state it is.

one of the problems we have as fans, is having the same info that Pelini has, which helps him make his decisions. we are kidding ourselves if we think we know it all and can be prosecutor, judge and jury. Bo gets to make the final decision based on the facts that he knows or are presented to him, not the general public. it is as it should be....some info and some decisions are private, as they should be....