DT Gerald McCoy

Player: Gerald McCoy

Hometown: Oklahoma City, OK

Position: DT

Height: 6’4”

Weight: 294

40 time: 4.9

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Over 10 including: Florida, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, LSU, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, USC

Favorites: Signed with Oklahoma

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: #2/:star :star:star:star:star

Bid Red Report:#2/ :star:star:star:star:star

Assessing the talent: Quite fast for a lineman. He had 83 tackles, and 20 sacks and also amazingly, he returned an interception for 48 yards. His sack total has gotten him a lot of attention, plus he has performed quite well at camps.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker:0% Conventional wisdom points to OU getting McCoy to commit, but John Blake is recruiting McCoy, and Blake almost pulled a trifecta a year ago in Oklahoma. Hopefully the Huskers can keep pluggin’ away at him and at the least get him to trip to Lincoln.

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

The Dominator: Southeast's McCoy one of nation's best

By Brandon Chatmon

The Oklahoman

Domination.

One word explains what's expected from Gerald McCoy his senior season at Southeast. His teammates expect it, his coaches expect it, recruiting experts expect it, college coaches expect it and opposing coaches are game planning for it.

And nothing less.

But what does Gerald expect from himself?

"Domination. Athleticism. Leadership," he said.

At 6-foot-5, 290 pounds, McCoy is, simply put, the best recruit in Oklahoma. Rivals rates him as the top defensive tackle in the nation and 14th player overall. Scout.com ranks him as the 18th-ranked player in America, and he's ranked 25th overall on the ESPN Top 150.

McCoy's getting so much attention, you'd swear he's been doing crunches in his driveway and wearing army fatigues during Southeast's fall camp.

When every major college in the country has you on the radar, peace and quiet is a thing of the past. From college coaches to recruiting experts, everybody wants Gerald McCoy's time. And he wouldn't have it any other way.

"I love it," McCoy said. "It's not hard at all. It is something I gotta deal with, and I'm willing to deal with it. I love being recruited and people calling. It gets hectic, I'm not going to lie, but it's fun."

While many of the nation's top recruits have already made verbal commitments before their senior seasons so they can focus solely on football, McCoy is just the opposite.

"I'll commit when I want to," McCoy said. "I'm really focusing on the season right now."

That's good news for the Southeast Spartans, who have the talent and potential to make the Class 5A playoffs. With McCoy providing the anchor in the middle of the defense and Alvin Palmer running the ball on offense, the Spartans look like a cinch to improve on last season's 6-4 record.

"All we have to do is go and play," McCoy said. "If our defense is strong, we can beat any team. If a team doesn't score, they can't beat you."

McCoy will be the difference that makes the Spartans' defense go from good to great, solid to dominant. His quickness off the ball, strength, aggressiveness and will to win is what makes him special. Those factors can help make Southeast's season special as well.

"I need to lead the defense," McCoy said. "Not necessarily getting all the tackles but just being the keystone to the defense."

Offensive coordinators in District 5A-1 are certain to come up with ways to limit McCoy's effectiveness. Coaches know if they don't slow McCoy, it really doesn't matter how good their offensive game plan is.

"I think I have prepared myself," said McCoy, who spent the summer loading furniture. "I know I'm going to get double teamed, triple teamed, cut, hacked, held, everything. But I think I'm ready for it.

"I've been dealing with that for a long time."

With his final high school season starting Friday against U.S. Grant, McCoy brushes off the pressure of being the top-ranked recruit at his position like he brushes off opposing linemen.

"I know my grades will stay up, I'll have a good season. I don't really see anything holding me back," he said of the pressure and potential distractions.

It still has to get old, hearing the same question from people: "Where are you going?"

Said McCoy: "I don't mind hearing it. I tell people the same thing: 'I haven't decided yet.' I'm going to watch and see what happens with these teams, then I'll decide from there. I (know) can go to a good school. I'm also thinking about which school, after I graduate, will help me get to the NFL."

McCoy is in no hurry to make his decision. He has no reason to be. Not only does McCoy enjoy the recruiting process, but he knows the offers from the nation's best teams will still be there.

Said McCoy: "I really worked hard to get to where I'm at, so when it all pays off, it makes you feel good.

"And I'm lovin' it!"

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

theme_default_1.gif

McCoy caught up in the atmosphere

By Francisco Ojeda

The Oklahoman

10/18/2005

Notre Dame fans swarmed the field to celebrate what they thought was an upset victory over top-ranked Southern California. On the other side of the field, watching the whole thing transpire, was Southeast High School defensive lineman Gerald McCoy.

Saturday, McCoy was on a recruiting visit to South Bend., Ind. And he got caught up in the drama.

"I ran onto the field with the rest of them," said McCoy, who is being recruited by both Notre Dame and USC, among others. "I wasn't cheering for either team. I was cheering just to cheer. I wanted to be a part of it."

He and the rest of fans were ordered off the field. Southern Cal had time for one more play. McCoy and the rest of the 80,795 fans in attendance watched as quarterback Matt Leinart stumbled backward into the end zone with three seconds remaining to give USC a 34-31 win.

"It went from super loud to totally silent really quick," McCoy said. "Every one was in shock."

That was the highlight of McCoy's visit to Notre Dame. The 6-foot-3, 305-pounder is one of the best players in the country, according to recruiting services. McCoy, LaRon Moore of Midwest City and Northeast's George West, who has orally committed to Notre Dame, were in attendance to see one of the most anticipated college games of the year.

"The crowd was crazy," McCoy said. "You couldn't hear anything the person right next to you was saying. I have never been in an atmosphere like that."

South Bend was one of many stops McCoy will make in the next few months.

Notre Dame left an impression, though.

McCoy began the visit by a ride from the airport to the campus in a car filled with goodies.

"The Lincoln was all stretched out," McCoy said. "There was a lot of candy and pop. I have never been chauffeured around before."

While walking from the Notre Dame football complex to the stadium, some fans started chanting McCoy's name. Kids asked for his autograph.

"Everyone knew who I was," McCoy said. "That was real surprising.

"It was a great experience, but it hasn't changed anything." I am still looking at a lot of places. I'm sure other places will be like this. But it helped to know what I am looking for in other recruiting trips. I can compare it to other places."

Link

• 4 weeks later...

Has setup all 5 of his official visits and has already taken 2 of them. He visited Notre Dame on 10/14 and USC last weekend. Has visits lined up to Vtech on Thanksgiving weekend, Tennessee on December 9th and Miami on December 16th. He has also visited OU a coupl of time unofficially, so they have gotton a look from him. The only team remaining in his favorites list is Nebraska. With 5 visits already setup, after getting back into it, Nebraska seems to be fading away quickly.

Chances of commit: 5%

• 2 months later...