Zac Taylor Named Rivals.com Newcomer of the Year

I cant confirm that, but it sounds like the SN sure didnt give the Scarlet and Cream any love.

That's nothing new. Bastards, all of 'em!

I always thought that the SN kind of had it out for NU.

On a cute side note, the Pusses from the "Little Apple" were picked 6th. :)

While I agree that pre-season predictions show that these guys who get all their stats and information fed to them on a teleprompter don't know any more than the rest of us, it's still cool to see the Huskers and Zac Taylor getting some love...

Does anyone remember the time when the Arizona Wildcats were predicted by SI to be national champs? Didn't they lose their first three games?

I think these sportswriters who continue to give the Huskers no respect will only inspire them even more. The coaches should post quotes from these nuckleheads all over the locker room to serve as motivators. These idiots are going to eventually be served up a nice cold dish of crow and they'll have to eat it. I look forward to it.

You can't keep a good man down, nor can you keep the Huskers down!

heh hell freezes over when nebraska gets good press :P

yay so he's newcomer of the year, lets not get ahead of ourselves. We still havent seen him under fire in the conference games. while i do acknowledge that it is exciting and only adds more energy, i just like to keep things in check. doesnt change the fact that i am TOO anxious for fall to come, almost there boys its june already :D then hopefully we will be seeing a more polished west coast attack and improved chemistry not only amongst the players but between the players and the coaches as well. a positive thing about hitting rock bottom is that there is nowhere else to go but up i guess

I cant confirm that, but it sounds like the SN sure didnt give the Scarlet and Cream any love.

That's nothing new. Bastards, all of 'em!

I always thought that the SN kind of had it out for NU.

On a cute side note, the Pusses from the "Little Apple" were picked 6th. :)

Yes....this quite frankly is the greatest, most well respected, intelligent journalism I have ever seen. :thumbs

• 4 weeks later...

This is an easy prediction to make when you consider how horrible the QB play was last year. Slight improvement and Zac will receive accolades like he's never gotten before.

On the flip side, he may not even be the starting QB all year. The coaching staff appeared pretty solid recruiting the 5 JUCO's we watched in the spring game, so if they're as on with Beck as everyone's hoping and he's learned the playbook, you can't count him out.

This is just my opinion, but I believe Beck DOES NOT redshirt. I believe by the 5th or 6th game of the season, he TF's the coaching staff just like TF did back in 1992. IMO, Beck will be our starting QB by the middle of the season. We will definitely have growing pains, but hey look how it worked out back in 92-95.

As long as Beck doesn't come in a game and Beau Davis it up, the fans and coaching staff will give him a lot of reign. Hopefully, we don't have to put Beck in the same kind of situation Davis had when he did get some playing time.

Again just my opinion, I would rather go through growing pains with a player who has another 3 years to play instead of one who just have one year left. If the kid is all that he's supposed to be, we'll be better off in the long run. Even though Jamal Lord sucked miserably, just imagine if he would have had another 2 years to play. A lot of the great teams out there milk their QB for all they're worth. Look at White at OU, he played for like 6 years. Leinert will be a 3 year starter. Tennessee had 2 freshman start last year. Get them in there while they're still young. IMO, FSU will be much better off playing Xavier Lee from the very get go rather than trying to bring him in slow behind "God"!

This is just my opinion, but I believe Beck DOES NOT redshirt. I believe by the 5th or 6th game of the season, he TF's the coaching staff just like TF did back in 1992. IMO, Beck will be our starting QB by the middle of the season. We will definitely have growing pains, but hey look how it worked out back in 92-95.

As long as Beck doesn't come in a game and Beau Davis it up, the fans and coaching staff will give him a lot of reign. Hopefully, we don't have to put Beck in the same kind of situation Davis had when he did get some playing time.

Again just my opinion, I would rather go through growing pains with a player who has another 3 years to play instead of one who just have one year left. If the kid is all that he's supposed to be, we'll be better off in the long run. Even though Jamal Lord sucked miserably, just imagine if he would have had another 2 years to play. A lot of the great teams out there milk their QB for all they're worth. Look at White at OU, he played for like 6 years. Leinert will be a 3 year starter. Tennessee had 2 freshman start last year. Get them in there while they're still young. IMO, FSU will be much better off playing Xavier Lee from the very get go rather than trying to bring him in slow behind "God"!

I'm not sure there was ever any indication of Beck red-shirting. His dad posts on rivals quite a bit and has said numerous times that his son is working his butt off to come in get that starting job.

I know it's tough for a freshman and you can't simulate a college game in practice or high school, but if he has a real knowledge of the playbook and they bring him along slowly to give him confidence, he could have a really good year. He's got as much Husker game experience as Zac does right now.

true, but even Juco ball is a step up from high school.....he has way too much to learn to start right away, maybe share some time with Zac by middle of the season, but with our team and schedule, there will not likely be any real "mop up time" for him to get comfortable.....we shall see...again a TALL order for a true freshman, no matter how good he may be.........

hunter