Decided to take the Sgt. exam here at work.

So I decided to take the Sgt. exam here at work for a few reasons:

1. It's about $20,000 more a year than what I'm currently making.

2. It would be nice to actually have more input into the department's day to day operations.

3. I want to be the Chief someday and this is the natural way of things.

So I come into work tonight and the Assistant Chief is here to hand out all of our study guides at the same time to us so no one has an advantage over someone else. You wanna talk about a $hit load of studying ahead over the next month! I thought college was over damnit and now all of the sudden I'm studying for the finals again. We have 5 different books we need to read and these aren't small books either. Granted the study guide material gives us some insight into what we should study, but it's still going to be a ton of reading. I thought I was nervous about the interview until I got all of this material. The test is called the The National First Line Supervisor Test. Any of my fellow police officers ever heard of this test?

If I recall it is a multiple guess test. Four possible answers per question, usually you can throw two of them out and guess between the final two as which one is the most correct.

If you can't do all the reading do the questions at the end of each chapter. The material in the book will help you with the interview questions later.

Good Luck BRI!! :thumbs

Good luck BRI.

I have found that you spend your whole life studying one thing or another. Computers, Cell Phones, PDA's,

ect. ect... all supposed to make life easier? I say Bull S--t to that! Everything comes with a small print, minimum 50 page book on how to make the damn things work and just when you get used to making things work right a new model or upgrade comes out. Sorry to go off on a :rant , again good luck.

T_O_B

i have taken that test before and it was 50 questions. all you have to do is memorize the best routes from 10 different locations in Des Moines to 5 different donut shops.

depending on the number of SGT slots that the department will be promoting, the best routes win

Thanks for the info guru, the study guide I got really doesn't help much unfortunately. I'm about 6 chapters in to a 13 chapter week and I only have 4 more days with this book before I have to turn it in and get another one. My notes for each chapter are turning out to be 5 to 7 pages long and I'm worried I'm trying to take too many notes. I figure the day before the test I'll just hangout and go over all my notes until I'm just about ready to burn them and I should be good. So far it seems like pretty common sense stuff to me, hell we went over some of this stuff in college for my business management degree?

Thanks for the info guru, the study guide I got really doesn't help much unfortunately. I'm about 6 chapters in to a 13 chapter week and I only have 4 more days with this book before I have to turn it in and get another one. My notes for each chapter are turning out to be 5 to 7 pages long and I'm worried I'm trying to take too many notes. I figure the day before the test I'll just hangout and go over all my notes until I'm just about ready to burn them and I should be good. So far it seems like pretty common sense stuff to me, hell we went over some of this stuff in college for my business management degree?

Jost watch Reno 911 and you will be fine

What worked for me was that I studied my department regs,state statutes, and city/county ordinances over and over again. I did use the study guide but where I lacked in the study guide questions, I made up for it on the law questions.

What worked for me was that I studied my department regs,state statutes, and city/county ordinances over and over again. I did use the study guide but where I lacked in the study guide questions, I made up for it on the law questions.

Yeah, before we got our material I read through our standard operating procedures so I know those very well. I'm fairly good on our city ordinaces, but there are a few that'll get you. I talked with one of the Sergeants at my old department and he took this test so needless to say he helped me out with what to expect. Those are some cards I'll be playing close to my chest and not let the other two guys know anything about it. Competitive advantage is what I call it............... :thumbs