Watson talks Spano, Martinez and Paulus/Marve

Coach Watson talked to the DN recently about the QBs and said some interesting stuff. First off, he said Kody Spano has had an amazing recovery from the ACL injury and is already back on the practice field.

He’s doing good. He’s way ahead of schedule, and he’s a hard worker. He’s way ahead of where anybody thought he would be, the doctors, the trainers.

We have a great trainer in Mark Mayer, and Mark’s really pushed the envelope with him. He’s way ahead of schedule because Mark’s pushed him and because he’s a willing soul. He’s really done a remarkable job; he’s practicing now.

He also talked about his plans for boy wonder Taylor Martinez and about if he's still interested in landing a transfer QB (after all, Oregon's Justin Roper and BC's Dominique Davis are available...)

Check out the interview here

:) There is a lot that can be read between the lines there. Some good, some not so good.

I would rather see Washington dedicate his time to Safety, I think he could be better utilized there. We already have a lot of raw talent at QB.

Another thing I liked was that they are getting away from the thinking that they could just bring in transfers every year and put them ahead of those that put in the time and have learned the system. I think that was one of the things that immediately turned the players off to BC.

:) There is a lot that can be read between the lines there. Some good, some not so good.

Interesting that when asked if Zac Lee was ready to be the starter, Wats didn't really give a direct answer; he just talked about how much Lee has "improved".

Maybe it's meaningless, but I would have preferred to hear: "Absolutely he's ready. He's next in line of great Husker QBs".

I guess we'll just have to wait til the fall...

Interesting that when asked if Zac Lee was ready to be the starter, Wats didn't really give a direct answer; he just talked about how much Lee has "improved".

Maybe it's meaningless, but I would have preferred to hear: "Absolutely he's ready. He's next in line of great Husker QBs".

Sure, I would've preferred to hear that too, but not if he's blowing smoke. Reality with a positive slant sounds right to me. If, heaven forbid, Zac looks lost in the opener, you don't have to wonder whether Watson really believed he was ready (making him a poor evaluator), or was just saying what people wanted to hear.

Another thing I liked was that they are getting away from the thinking that they could just bring in transfers every year and put them ahead of those that put in the time and have learned the system. I think that was one of the things that immediately turned the players off to BC.

Yeah, but then you wonder why they were brought in at all?

I would rather see Washington dedicate his time to Safety, I think he could be better utilized there. We already have a lot of raw talent at QB.

LaTravis could not even cover as a LB because he is so stiff in the hips. You put him at safety and it's going to make that problem that much more glaring.

Yeah, but then you wonder why they were brought in at all?

Because picking up a free agent keeps open a draft pick and helps with your salary cap! :dunno

I think the reason Watson isn't coming out and calling hyping up Lee as the starter is because he's all about competition. I think he's trying to motivate Lee to continue to earn the gig by working hard every day. I don't think Lee has any serious competition for the starting spot, though, at least not this year.

I think the reason Watson isn't coming out and calling hyping up Lee as the starter is because he's all about competition. I think he's trying to motivate Lee to continue to earn the gig by working hard every day. I don't think Lee has any serious competition for the starting spot, though, at least not this year.

Yep.