How much longer until NU is consistently in the conversation for an NC?

look, this is a loaded question with no easy answer. winning begets better recruits, better recruits begets winning...honestley we are a looong way from pressing the top 10 in the country. until we start recruiting top 10 classes, we won't be a consistent top 10 team.

from there it is still a looong way to a NC....reality, what a concept.

The top ten ain't what it used to be. In the last two years South Florida, Missouri, Kansas and Rutgers were ranked in the top ten, programs that even a few years ago couldn't dream of cracking the top 15. There are more, of course, but these serve as examples - we could skyrocket if we get on a roll.

Consistently in NC picture talk? Hmmm... this year will tell a lot, as will next. However, to be consistently in the NC talk early on, the talking heads have to be reminded of you. We're just beginning to get back on the radar.

Probably by about Pelini's 5th year, with a relatively stable staff. Goodness knows we have the admin. in place. But we'll need some big regular season wins and a BCS bowl win/Big XII champ. or two before we get back "top-of-mind" consistently to the Holtzs, Mays, and Corsos of the world.

The top ten ain't what it used to be. In the last two years South Florida, Missouri, Kansas and Rutgers were ranked in the top ten, programs that even a few years ago couldn't dream of cracking the top 15. There are more, of course, but these serve as examples - we could skyrocket if we get on a roll.

Not sure how you mean this, but I think the number of programs that are no longer strangers to the Top 25 means there are more competitive programs, making it harder for a team to get on a roll in any single season, much less to consistently dominate from season to season the way elite programs like Nebraska used to do. It horrified a lot of Huskers that we almost lost to Ball State a couple years ago, but in hindsight it wouldn't have been an upset.

look, this is a loaded question with no easy answer. winning begets better recruits, better recruits begets winning...honestley we are a looong way from pressing the top 10 in the country. until we start recruiting top 10 classes, we won't be a consistent top 10 team.

from there it is still a looong way to a NC....reality, what a concept.

I totally agree. To see SF, MU, KU, and Rutgers up there makes a quicker turn around seem feasible. Like the quote above, winning begets better recruits, better recruits begets winning. All we need to do is take care of the games we should be winning now and eventually we will compete more and more in games with better competition. If we win all the games we should win, better recruits will follow.

If we win the North this year and put together a decent showing in a loss in the Big 12 Championship game, I say we'll be in the top 15 consistently following this year. If KU wins the North, I think it sets us back a few years.

As far as guessing when we'll be in the NC conversation year after year it gets tricky. Too many things effect this. If Bo can get Watson to stick around for another 4 years, the following 4+ years we will be in the NC picture......a panoramic picture. I highly doubt Watson is at Nebraska in 4 years though....

Not sure how you mean this, but I think the number of programs that are no longer strangers to the Top 25 means there are more competitive programs, making it harder for a team to get on a roll in any single season, much less to consistently dominate from season to season the way elite programs like Nebraska used to do. It horrified a lot of Huskers that we almost lost to Ball State a couple years ago, but in hindsight it wouldn't have been an upset.

I kind of agree and kind of don't. Mostly I think I agree.

I think a single-season "roll" is reasonably easy to get on (Kansas 2007), but maintaining that year in and year out is the bear. Kansas' dream season was a confluence of several factors: Easy schedule, upsets galore across the landscape of college football, and a team that jelled under mature leadership. Mangino being a good coach helped, too.

Unfortunately for Kansas, and us if we don't keep our noses to the grindstone, those confluences are rare. Next year could be one of those years for us, but what will 2010, 2011 and 2012 hold? If our players get cocky, don't continue to learn and grow in the system, and if our coaches don't continue to glean great football players out of the recruiting muck, we could be in for a Kansas 2008 season just as easily as them.

Parity has been legislated into the landscape, but it's still possible to rise above the fray of college football's mediocrity, just like USC, Oklahoma, Florida, Texas, and others have done. It just takes work and some luck, and I think Bo and Co. are workhorses. Let's hope they get a bit lucky, too.

Something fishy is up. Agreeing with Jen twice in 3 days.

Is agreeing with me really that bad?

:blink:

:clap

I prefer not to answer.

Wow. Do me a favor, send me a private message and speak your mind. Because I have some thoughts here but I'm not going to derail this thread.

Whoa. I won't ever forget the insert sarcasm or smiley face sign again.