Walk On: Husker's Edge

Here's an article from Sam McKewon at NE Statepaper about the walk-on program:

The Modern Walk-On Program at Nebraska

Commentary: As competition for talent gets stronger, NU will adjust

by Samuel McKewon

July 30, 2009

Every so often, you glance at the great history of college football, and you probably wonder, as I do: How did a flyover state full of sandy hills, prairie grass and homesteads ever fight its way into the royalty of the game? And, more than that, how did it do so a full decade after World War II?

We don’t ask that question, I find, because we don’t know. In fact, we know the answer by heart. And, sometimes, it’s simply too long and rich to tell at a dinner party, right? We ask ourselves just as a reminder how extraordinary an achievement it really is. And how that achievement defined this state, spoke to its work ethic and pride and faith. It is not a small thing, what’s been done at NU. That’s why it’s so important. And that’s why, rhetorically, we ask.

Unquestionably, a part of that answer is the walk-on program. As depicted in the newest NET documentary “Walk On: Huskers Edge,” you get a terrific sense of how and why those young, sacrificial men - often from dusty farm towns that hug our state’s two-lane highways - volunteered to serve the Cornhuskers with little reward and no guarantees. They took that famous admonition from President Kennedy and made it their own: Ask not what Nebraska can do you for you, but what you can do for Nebraska.

And as scholarship limits got tighter, the need for the walk-ons went up. You know the scores of guys who came through here, on their own dime, and won games, awards, jobs in the NFL. We won’t list them again.

Now, in this era of 85 scholarships, and an era when technology allows high school players to reach out and touch their dream of college football, every team – not just Nebraska – has to use its walk-on program wisely.

It’s an excellent place to develop kickers, punters, long snappers, coverage gunners and holders. It’s helpful for overall depth when injuries strike. Occasionally the walk-on pool will produce a dynamic athlete like Matthew May, an Imperial kid who played for a great football program out near Panhandle, and didn’t get the attention he deserved.

Some would argue walk-ons provide a character boost, that “Rudy” quality that wills the more talented scholarship players to excel. That can be true, and has been true, often, at Nebraska. And that can be false. After all, walk-ons are 18-22-year-old kids, just like the rest of the players.

The best possible scenario is that the walk-on pool is a combination of all those things. A launching pad for late bloomers. A training ground for future coaches. An inspiration to the fans. A way to keep NU connected to the high school programs, and the state in general. You get excellent stories, like that of Derek Meyer, who left Kansas State, and turned down transfer offers to Western Michigan and San Diego State, for a shot at one year with the Big Red.

But the walk-on industry, like anything else, has changed. The economy has changed, recruiting has changed, the world has changed. The romance is largely gone.

Let’s be clear: Head coach Bo Pelini, undoubtedly with the guidance of athletic director Tom Osborne, has improved the perception of walk-ons at NU. Pelini produces a list of committed walk-ons on Signing Day. Then, he refuses to talk about any one player – scholarship or walk-on - individually. He integrates preferred walk-ons into summer conditioning. There’s a Walk-On Club designed to support the funding of walk-on program. To his credit, Pelini neither patronizes walk-ons nor pretends to merely tolerate them. They’re just part of the group. As it should be.

But it’s getting harder to draw walk-ons to Nebraska – or anywhere, for that matter. Division I FCS and Division II programs are getting more sophisticated, more savvy, with their recruiting tools. Especially schools in the Dakotas. South Dakota State can offer a talented Nebraska kid a chance to play Division I competition on scholarship, rather than the kid footing the bill at NU. (This is one of the reasons Nebraska shouldn’t play SDSU). And UNO, with new AD Trev Alberts, will make some waves with its future recruiting classes. Just watch.

Why? With the rising cost of college, kids, and their parents, are going to listen. They have to listen. Their 401k has been raided by the stock market. Half of their investments have vanished. And God didn’t make every kid to be a classroom whiz who can cobble together a bunch of academic scholarships.

Walk-ons have always been about sacrifice. But, for some of them, the off-the-field price may be too high.

Another issue: I’m not sure, with the present state of high school football in Nebraska, that NU actually can draw as many players as it would like. Pelini and Co. wants speed. Track guys. Shawn Watson’s offense requires gifted tight ends and receivers, and that’s still not something the state provides in great supply. Nebraska’s gone to recruiting absolutely giant offensive linemen – almost all of them taller than 6-5 – and the state’s just not going to provide many of those. NU’s lone in-state recruit, 6-6 tackle, Andrew Rodriguez, is originally from New York City.

Finally, there’s this: High school programs are no longer tied at the hip to NU. They’ll send their kids where they can play. Pelini can’t just waltz into Omaha and have his pick or scholarship or walk-on players. Iowa has a relationship at a few schools, including Millard North. Kansas has connections within the city, and at the most consistent program in Western Nebraska, McCook. Now Oregon, after offering a scholarship to Daryle Hawkins, has an in at Omaha Central.

So we’ll see. Nebraska’s done well, so far, with its rhetoric about reviving the program. Bill Callahan didn’t exactly kill it, mind you – after all, Matt O’Hanlon and Colton Koehler, both potential starters on the 2009 NU defense, began as Callahan-era walk-ons – but he…well, you know the story.

Point is – even if Nebraska wants a return to the halcyon days of the walk-on program, it may not be possible. And utopia shouldn’t be the goal, anyway.

Rather, NU should use its walk-on program wisely and efficiently. Now that Callahan is gone, Husker fans don’t have to argue its importance anymore. Pelini, Osborne and director of football operations Jeff Jamrog all appreciate its worth.

It doesn’t matter how small or large the walk-on program at Nebraska is. It doesn’t need to be our version of the Peace Corps. It just needs to be strong. And if it’s that – then it’s the right size.

Double post...sorry

I am curious - how do people "double post"? Is it your internet provider or what? I don't think I ever have. If I get into a post I don't want, I "back arrow" out of it and it isn't put on the board.

I am not trying to be mean, just wondering.

Double post...sorry

I am curious - how do people "double post"? Is it your internet provider or what? I don't think I ever have. If I get into a post I don't want, I "back arrow" out of it and it isn't put on the board.

A couple of times after I made a post I’ve gotten a message that said something like “server disconnected.” So I hit the back button and trying posting again. Usually the post gets made then, but a couple of times it resulted in a double post.

Back on point, I guess I don’t understand why anyone would *not* support the walk-on program. Every year we have a couple of starters who began as walk-ons. It saves us the cost of a scholly (a huge benefit) until we know for sure the player is going to pan out. It is a competitive advantage for us.

Double post...sorry

A couple of times after I made a post I’ve gotten a message that said something like “server disconnected.” So I hit the back button and trying posting again. Usually the post gets made then, but a couple of times it resulted in a double post.

Ditto. My server at works has fits sometimes when I make a post. I'll get a "server unavailable" message so I'll hit refresh (if I hit the back button I lose the information in my post). When I hit refresh, it'll double post. Sometimes I have problems, sometimes I don't. Most often, when I double post it's because I took to long to finish my post.

Back on point, I guess I don’t understand why anyone would *not* support the walk-on program. Every year we have a couple of starters who began as walk-ons. It saves us the cost of a scholly (a huge benefit) until we know for sure the player is going to pan out. It is a competitive advantage for us.

I really don't think people don't support it. Just like the article up above points out, college is expensive. If someone can get a scholly to another school, they are now taking it to cheapen up college rather than walking on at NU and having to foot the entire bill. A guy from my hometown had full rides to Wyoming and Colorado State. He walked on at NU and saw very little playing time. His dad once told me the thousands upon thousands of dollars it cost him for that decision. It's a tough decision if you're that calibur of athlete. I can't really argue against or support either decision. One would almost have to lean towards going to the school with the scholarship especially if there's going to be a huge burden of school loans to pay back after graduating.

Double post...sorry

Ditto. My server at works has fits sometimes when I make a post. I'll get a "server unavailable" message so I'll hit refresh (if I hit the back button I lose the information in my post). When I hit refresh, it'll double post. Sometimes I have problems, sometimes I don't. Most often, when I double post it's because I took to long to finish my post.

Thanks

I really don't think people don't support it. Just like the article up above points out, college is expensive. If someone can get a scholly to another school, they are now taking it to cheapen up college rather than walking on at NU and having to foot the entire bill. A guy from my hometown had full rides to Wyoming and Colorado State. He walked on at NU and saw very little playing time. His dad once told me the thousands upon thousands of dollars it cost him for that decision. It's a tough decision if you're that calibur of athlete. I can't really argue against or support either decision. One would almost have to lean towards going to the school with the scholarship especially if there's going to be a huge burden of school loans to pay back after graduating.

All true. And I can understand their perspective—both parent and player.

I guess I was speaking more in terms of some fans I knew who were in favor of getting rid of the walk-on program a couple of years ago when this issue came up. I couldn’t understand it then, and can’t understand it now. Seems like each year a couple of starters began their career as walk-ons.

7/31/2009 6:08:47 AM

"Walk Ons: Huskers Edge" is a new NET television special

The program will air several times the first week of August

A new NET television special, "Walk Ons: Huskers Edge" tells the story of the University of Nebraska's football walk-on program, following the young men raised with Nebraska values and dreaming of becoming Huskers and playing in Memorial Stadium. The program will air on NET1 and NET-HD Tuesday, August 4th at 7:00 p.m.; Thursday, August 6th at 8:00 p.m.; and, on Sunday, August 9th at 6:30 p.m.

Set to DVR next week. Hard to get away with litlte kids in the house. I love my DVR. I'll be watching the Gator Bowl later tonight. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Hey!

Can you burn me a copy?

7/31/2009 6:08:47 AM

"Walk Ons: Huskers Edge" is a new NET television special

Hey!

Can you burn me a copy?

If I can figure out how to get my DVR to DVD (been wanting to anyway) and if I can do it legally, then you betcha. IM or email me or whatever we do here (I'm kinda new) and we'll work it out.