possible commits read message boards

Someone mentioned it a few days back, possible committs read these things all the time. Complaining and saying " i know we aren't Texas" is not going to make them come here. And it is not doing any Nebraska fan much good to read . Everyone knows that it is what it is, hopefully for just the time being. Devaney started from scratch and Pelini is, well fixing Callahans mistakes per say.

Someone mentioned it a few days back, possible committs read these things all the time. Complaining and saying " i know we aren't Texas" is not going to make them come here. And it is not doing any Nebraska fan much good to read . Everyone knows that it is what it is, hopefully for just the time being. Devaney started from scratch and Pelini is, well fixing Callahans mistakes per say.

Very true. Criticisms, especially personal, should be kept quiet. We don't need anything else going against us in recruiting right now.

Since I believe it was my comment about "not being Texas," I suppose I'll respond. Never once have I ever personally attacked a recruit or attempted to downgrade their character as a result of a decision. Although I do think decommitments could potentially be a symptom of character issues, I understand that 17 year old kids are making a big decision with their lives and should be respected regardless of how they go about arriving at that final decision. As long as the business is handled with respect to the coaching staffs involved, it can't, and shouldn't, be made personal.

But I think your 'recruits read message board' comment is totally absurd. Do you have any idea the typhoon of negative stuff that appears on these boards every day? Wait until our first loss of the season if you haven't been convinced to your satisfaction already. To expect fans to restrain non-personal and inoffensive negative conversation for the sake of recruiting defeats the entire purpose of a message board. Fact is our recruiting situation is a big topic of conversation right now. It will pass, though, just as everything else does.

And the fact is we aren't Texas, but that comment has to be taken in a larger context––including geography, by the way––and it in no way maligns our program. We do not recruit as well or win as many games as Texas presently does. Our junior day is not even a fraction as successful as theirs is. Asking Why, especially of the latter part, is a legitimate discussion topic. If these topics don't do you any good, or don't interest you, fine. Don't comment. Don't discuss. If enough people feel the same way, the thread will quickly filter into the graveyard.

Lastly, if a recruit based his decision off the stuff he reads on a message board, he was looking for a reason not to come here, and has a lot to learn about life in the public eye. Being a Nebraska deity has its blessings and curses. Message board fodder comes with the territory.

First of all, I'm pretty sure that college football recruits have better things to do than hang out on a message board for fans of a team they may be interested in joining. Especially this time of year.

Secondly, you can find a message board for every team in the NCAA that is alot more negative about their team and recruiting efforts than we are here.

Thirdly, if a recruit can't handle the words of an anonymous poster on a message board, how are they going to handle 80,000+ in a major bowl sometime in the future? Do you really want a player on your team who got his real-life feelings hurt by a guy on the internet?

Your title says to stop complaining huh? Didn't you follow it up with a post that is complaining about complainers? Funny, that is.

Some recruits/parents read message boards and some don’t. Some post on boards. If you were a HS player with D1 football talent and were researching teams where you might play college ball, would you read message boards? I would.

Didn't one of the NU coaches mention this topic in the 202 talks?

It's a fact that recruits families read the message boards and i'm sure more than you guys may think. You are all welcome to your opinion but at the same time remember you don't know these kids or their families. You are assuming that your opinion of them is right and yet some of you guys see fit to say things bad about these kids.

If you don't believe families look at this board just take a peek at Bob Swigerts profile in the 2010 recruits, his uncle posts there and seems like a very nice guy. I think the op's post if simply to ask people to leave their opinions to themselves as we are trying to reflect a professional and mature nature here at Huskernation. We want to be seen a good people and a great board, rather than look like some of the Misery Tigger sites out there, you know which ones I speak of.

There is a time and place for everything, your opinions about kids you read about are just that, opinions, and they are just like aholes, everyone has one they all stink. He's asking you to keep it civil and polite and respect the people who run this sites wishes towards recruiting.

:boxosoap

I think the points about graciousness and respect towards recruits are well taken, and honestly I haven't seen hardly anything negative written about very many recruits. Sure, the Keeston Terry thing is going to get a few middle fingers flying, but if that's as bad as it gets, consider ourselves lucky.

As to the coaching staff, that is what this board is for––to discuss their approach and achievements in coaching. And as a simple point of fact, the staff gets a very kind treatment on this board, deservedly so. But with our present recruiting state compared to even our north rivals, I think the fans are entitled to a speculative and less optimistic discussion than normal.

Call me crazy.

B)-->

QUOTE(Husker B @ Aug 6 2009, 01:48 AM) 449698[/snapback]

First of all, I'm pretty sure that college football recruits have better things to do than hang out on a message board for fans of a team they may be interested in joining. Especially this time of year.

Secondly, you can find a message board for every team in the NCAA that is alot more negative about their team and recruiting efforts than we are here.

Thirdly, if a recruit can't handle the words of an anonymous poster on a message board, how are they going to handle 80,000+ in a major bowl sometime in the future? Do you really want a player on your team who got his real-life feelings hurt by a guy on the internet?

Your title says to stop complaining huh? Didn't you follow it up with a post that is complaining about complainers? Funny, that is.

your last comment about complaining about complaining makes no sense whatsoever. thats not the point, cmon. A little common sense goes a long way.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the points about graciousness and respect towards recruits are well taken, and honestly I haven't seen hardly anything negative written about very many recruits. Sure, the Keeston Terry thing is going to get a few middle fingers flying, but if that's as bad as it gets, consider ourselves lucky.

As to the coaching staff, that is what this board is for––to discuss their approach and achievements in coaching. And as a simple point of fact, the staff gets a very kind treatment on this board, deservedly so. But with our present recruiting state compared to even our north rivals, I think the fans are entitled to a speculative and less optimistic discussion than normal.

Call me crazy.

Explain?

Do people realize we don't have the scholly #'s to accept a ton of different guys? We have to be selective here... Look at how much crap the coaching staff had to go through last year with the Bodtmann situation? So either they can go back and tell the kid "hey, I know you really wanted to come here, but we can't give you a scholarship even though you've given us your commitment" or.. they can do what they're doing... either way people are going to complain about it.

Call me crazy.

Explain?

Do people realize we don't have the scholly #'s to accept a ton of different guys? We have to be selective here... Look at how much crap the coaching staff had to go through last year with the Bodtmann situation? So either they can go back and tell the kid "hey, I know you really wanted to come here, but we can't give you a scholarship even though you've given us your commitment" or.. they can do what they're doing... either way people are going to complain about it.

First off, this 'scholarship crunch' is overrated. As far as I know we could still take around 20 guys this fall in light of our recent departures. Yeah, it's less than normal, but it's not like we're taking a class of 10.

Second, if I'm thinking of the same recruit you're mentioning, the staff did absolutely nothing wrong by revoking his scholarship offer. The kid's school wasn't living up to their end of the bargain, not sending tape, not staying in contact. There are reasons to question the staff's recruiting tactics, but that ain't one of them. Also, I don't remember that he had committed at the time, but I could be wrong about that. Either way, you can't fault the staff if the agreement isn't being met by both parties.

Now that fall camp has started recruiting chatter is dying down. I think people have a right to be concerned, as many recruiting analysts and long-time recruiting buffs are also nervous. But everyone agrees that it's a looooong way til signing day. We'll see how we did at the final tally.