Asante mentored by Minter

Husker Extra

Larry Asante says the best part about intercepting a football is the opportunity to “return it back to the house.”

Thing is, the Nebraska safety had only one such opportunity last year. And it wasn’t much of one. His first — and only — career interception with the Huskers came in the season finale, when Asante caught Cody Hawkins’ desperation pass on the final play against Colorado.

Creating more turnovers — especially interceptions — is high on Asante’s list of goals for his senior season. To that end, Asante prepared himself physically and mentally over the summer.

“He’s a great teacher. A great safety,” Asante said. “I thank God that he came back to help me. He helped me and Rickey (Thenarse) out.”

Minter, a second-round NFL Draft pick, lettered from 1993-96 and earned first-team All-Big 12 honors his senior season. He had seven career interceptions — five as a senior, two as a junior — playing mostly at a position Nebraska then termed the rover.

Minter visited Lincoln on his own and worked with the safeties over a five-day period, Asante said.

“His biggest advice to me was to be patient and see it first before I react,” Asante said. “He said being a safety, you have to be the most patient person out there on the field. Because if anything gets behind you, that’s it.”

Minter also gave Asante a detailed course on watching film and studying opponents. When Asante saw highlights of Minter, he could tell his tutor was indeed a student of the game.

“He knew what the offense was going to do before it happened, so he was quicker to the ball,” Asante said. “That’s what he showed me, and worked with me with — how the receivers are split, how close they are together. He just showed me little things like that that I had knowledge of, but I didn’t know it in depth like he knows it.”

Nebraska ranked 97th nationally last season with 17 forced turnovers. Twelve were interceptions, but only six were by members of the secondary.

Asante, for one, is adjusting his approach. Nebraska’s second-leading tackler last season said he’s not going to concern himself as much with going after big hits.

“If I can’t get to the ball, and if the receiver has his hands on the ball, I’m going to go for the big hit,” he said. “But if the ball’s in the air, I’m going to go for the interception. That’s what coach has been preaching.”

It’s also what Minter’s been preaching. Asante said Minter worked with him on reading quarterbacks, getting to the ball and making plays on the ball.

Also, having an entire year under coach Bo Pelini and defensive coordinator Carl Pelini will help defenders, too. Asante said players know their jobs “way better than last year” and better understand when and where to take gambles.

“Last year, it’s not necessarily that we didn’t know what we were doing back there, but we didn’t know why we were doing it, and what the guy next to us was doing,” Asante said.

“We understand the defense a lot better. I know when I can be aggressive, and I know when the corner’s going to be aggressive and when I have to play loose, and he knows when I’m going to be aggressive and when he’s going to have to help me over top.

“It just all fits together.”

I think this is the year that Asante finally turns the page on his defensive skills.

Man, I hope so. If this isn't all just talk, if the DBs really are getting it so much better than before, this whole defensive unit could take a giant leap forward. I would be really happy about that. :)

“If I can’t get to the ball, and if the receiver has his hands on the ball, I’m going to go for the big hit,” he said. “But if the ball’s in the air, I’m going to go for the interception.

I hope this actually results in interceptions and not him getting burned repeatedly. Unfortunately, I've learned not to expect much from Asante.

Is this legal? Isn't USC in trouble for something like this?

I thought USC’s troubles had to do with current players getting tickets to NFL games from former players. Maybe I “misremember” <_< that story but I thought that is what it was.

Anyway’s like has been stated this will only help Asante. I truly believe this is his year to shine

I also seem to remember a story where USC is being looked at by the NCAA because Pete Carrol used "consultants."

I think though the difference is that at USC those consultants helped Carroll break down film and game plan during the season which is certainly a violation of NCAA guidelines because it gives USC more coaches than the nine, I believe, allowed. Furthermore, I believe that at USC these consultants were paid...could be wrong though.

Meanwhile, Minter is volunteering and there's no game-planning going on which makes it legal-as far as I know.

Just my .02.