Best of Colorado Player Blogs

huKSer

From ESPN Big 12 Blog guy, Link

Burney's CU blog nixed after only one submission

August 13, 2009 6:40 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin

Colorado senior cornerback Ben Burney has learned that blogs sometimes can provide too much inside information.

Burney was slated to write a season-long blog for CUBuffs.com, but Burney told the Colorado Daily that he was flagged after his first draft.

Burney's blog "The sad goodbye" apparently provided a little too detailed picture of playing college football than Colorado officials were prepared for -- or wanted readers to know.

His introduction began with a description of him waking early Thursday morning next to a woman in his bed, and graduated to mention his libido as he commented that reporting day for players is actually viewed as the end of fun times and freedom.

Instead, it becomes the beginning of a regimented schedule and a more asecetic lifestyle associated with preseason training camp.

Burney told the Colorado student paper the blog was later edited without consulting him. He said the plan was for him to write the blog all season. He has learned that further editions won't be necessary.

"I have been censored. They took parts out of my blog and they took it away from me," Burney told the Daily. "It was my idea and it saddens me. They didn't tell me why I got censored, they changed it and it was taken away from me."

Here's a link to Burney's edited copy that still appears on Colorado's web site.

But thanks to Google, here are the better parts of his original work.

* He describes waking up next to his "girl of the night" and noting that, because of the impending training schedule, his "libido sheds a salty tear aware she can't be back for awhile."

* The team's dinner on reporting was described as "Two dead pigs oozing with goodness, pretty in pink salmon, and crayon green salad all laid our over black and gold table clothes" and how, after eating all that, "our toilets pay for it."

* Burney also noted that the administrative meeting run by staff members after dinner "sucks the life out of each one of us, coaches and players alike."

Burney said he doesn't believe he crossed a line for what would be considered appropriate content on a athletic department Web site. Instead, he said he was simply sharing some honest insight into college football and its players.

"I was just trying to portray how it is," Burney said. "I wasn't trying to be risqué or anything like that. I was just trying to make it realistic. I guess it was too realistic."

Unfortunately for Burney, he was keeping it "too real" for his editors at the school web site.

I think maybe he was implying that one might expect he realized that he was representing his school and it may be a good idea to self censor. He may also be advised to leave out specifics on the details of going to the bathroom, picking his nose, being profane and negative commets he wants to make about the school.

I am confused, are you saying that only CU football players get laid?

No, but people who have class and dignity keep the details of their sex lives private.

Oh, I forgot...the concepts of class and dignity are completely foreign to anybody associated with Colorado.

I understand that this is a Husker site and as such I am expected to take my share but your comment is petty and stupid. First off I would wager that 2/3 of both our rosters probably did not grow up dreaming of playing for either school. So to reference some 19-20 year old kid's comments on a blog and somehow blanket everyone in a particular school is absurd and small minded, I could respond that this must be a Nebraska trait but then I would be just as guilty of being ignorant as your post. In my so called enlightened years, I have moved on from the petty cheap shots and I look forward to the more competitive aspects of college football. I recognize that these are young kids with an incredible amount of pressure and expectations that we as fans have burdened them with. I wish nothing but a good competitive season and I look forward to a great matchup between both our schools come November. For these kids' sakes I hope both teams can meet injury and scandal free. So Jenn, good luck to you all this coming season, CU in November.

No, but people who have class and dignity keep the details of their sex lives private.

Oh, I forgot...the concepts of class and dignity are completely foreign to anybody associated with Colorado.

I understand that this is a Husker site and as such I am expected to take my share but your comment is petty and stupid. First off I would wager that 2/3 of both our rosters probably did not grow up dreaming of playing for either school. So to reference some 19-20 year old kid's comments on a blog and somehow blanket everyone in a particular school is absurd and small minded, I could respond that this must be a Nebraska trait but then I would be just as guilty of being ignorant as your post. In my so called enlightened years, I have moved on from the petty cheap shots and I look forward to the more competitive aspects of college football. I recognize that these are young kids with an incredible amount of pressure and expectations that we as fans have burdened them with. I wish nothing but a good competitive season and I look forward to a great matchup between both our schools come November. For these kids' sakes I hope both teams can meet injury and scandal free. So Jenn, good luck to you all this coming season, CU in November.

Agreed.

When Nebraska and Colorado play, which team always acts like uncouth thugs?

Which team consistently points to the NU-CU game as the true judge of how the season went?

Which team took the opportunity to jump up and down on our logo after a win?

Which teams fans vandalizes our cars?

Which set of fans throws bottles, bags and whatever other container of urine on our players and other fans?

Now, I understand that every team's fan base has its bad apples and you may not be a part of this culture of idiocy, but the f-ed up stuff which occurs is far more prevelant on your side.

:yeah

Honestly with the stuff that you write, I would be just as concerned sitting next to you at a football game as you appear to be concerned sitting next to me.

Edit: Do me a favor and please provide quotes, with appropriate url links, where I've said something that is so horrendous, been so threatening and/or otherwise been so mean that would justify what you said above.

Edit: I'm asking because I can't remember doing anything that fits. Now if you can and do find something please post it and if I think it was threatening or otherwise over the line then I'll apologize.

I'm not concerned, not in the least. But tell me, is anything I've typed about your program not true?

We've had a couple previous exchages and I've treated you with courtesy and respect and you've done likewise. But don't get all butt-hurt when I start laying out the facts which contrast the Colorado and Nebraska fans base.

You have a lot of pent up anger and you are willing to throw anyone under the bus that does not subscribe to your own beliefs. I would be hesitant to sit with you during a game and the game not go to your satisfaction, I think we should just agree to disagree on how we view the world and move on. Good luck this season, CU in November.......

You have a lot of pent up anger and you are willing to throw anyone under the bus that does not subscribe to your own beliefs. I would be hesitant to sit with you during a game and the game not go to your satisfaction, I think we should just agree to disagree on how we view the world and move on. Good luck this season, CU in November.......

Fair post :snacks:

Fair post :snacks:

I just noticed your location, I lived in Bartlesville about 26 years ago, I believe I was in 5th and 6th grade there.