Texas/Baylor

MIZZOU PICK 2

**LIMIT OF 10 TICKETS PER TRANSACTION**

TEXAS/IOWA STATE

Texas/Iowa State

MIZZOU PICK 2

**LIMIT OF 10 TICKETS PER TRANSACTION**

Am I missing something here?

This crap is getting ridiculous. When Best Buy only allowed "packaged deals" to be sold when selling computers, the government stepped in and said that it was illegal. They could sell computers with packages, but had to offer the computer separately, and if you bought a package deal, BB had to allow you to return those components that you didn't want to purchase.

Now, apply that logic to college football tickets...shouldn't this be illegal? Requiring people to purchase extra tickets as a "package" when all they want is the one ticket? Shouldn't consumers be able to return those tickets they don't want for a refund, and get fair-market value? Aren't there any lawyers on this message board that want to make a crapload off of the NCAA (I'll take my 5% cut for pitching the idea). :)

This crap is getting ridiculous. When Best Buy only allowed "packaged deals" to be sold when selling computers, the government stepped in and said that it was illegal. They could sell computers with packages, but had to offer the computer separately, and if you bought a package deal, BB had to allow you to return those components that you didn't want to purchase.

Now, apply that logic to college football tickets...shouldn't this be illegal? Requiring people to purchase extra tickets as a "package" when all they want is the one ticket? Shouldn't consumers be able to return those tickets they don't want for a refund, and get fair-market value? Aren't there any lawyers on this message board that want to make a crapload off of the NCAA (I'll take my 5% cut for pitching the idea). :)

No - different concepts. What Best Buy did is known as "tying". The Clayton Act prohibits cases where the seller conditions the sale or lease of a desired product upon the buyer purchasing or leasing another product, where competition is likely to be lessened substantially. In the Best Buy case, this was due to the size of Best Buy and it's dominance in the home electronics market. By requiring users to purchase only computers that had monitors, printers, etc. "tied" to them, Best Buy was essentially limiting the market for competitors to the manufacturers of the tied products. For all intents and purposes, "tying" and "bundling" are viturally interchangable. A good way to think of it is that you "tie" together distinct products into a "bundle".

College season ticket sales are not tying. They are not "bundling" distinct products; they are "bundling" identical products - college football games. It's the same concept with cable or dish networks - it's also the reason you can't order a la carte for your cable or dish services; i.e., order just the channels you want. In essence, the cable or dish provider is bundling a single product - broadcast video. (Although there has been a lot of talk in Congress and the FCC about making a la carte available).