Childress to A&M

I didnt realize it was official. Have a link, or just an inside scoop? My sources are saying A&M will be having a press conference tomorrow at noon, but nothing is official.

But to answer your question, he is an incredible coach, deserving of much of the credit for establishing this year's pitching staff as one of the best in the nation. Im sure others can expand on that.

It was reported on the Pinnacle Sports Network tonight, that Childress is going to A&M. I think that Dollar Bill pulled another one over on pud, I think that Childress will be a great HC, and I think that the Aggies should be happier than all get-out, RC will take these guys to the CWS within a few years.

Better question: can NU find someone to replace him?????? :(

Congrats to Rob, and A&M, but it sucks that he is going in conference.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=1442985

LINCOLN - Rob Childress is the new baseball coach at Texas A&M. Nebraska's pitching coach of the past eight years will be introduced at a 1 p.m. press conference Thursday in College Station, Texas. He accepted the job Wednesday, one day after the Huskers' College World Series stay ended with a loss to Arizona State.

Rob Childress directed a pitching staff at NU that was ranked second in the country this season in ERA.

"I am extremely happy for Rob as a friend and a colleague," NU coach Mike Anderson said. "His contributions to the Nebraska baseball program have included winning conference and regional championships, along with College World Series appearances, while at the same time building great relationships.

"He's a great addition to the coaching ranks of the Big 12, and I wish him nothing but the best - except when playing Nebraska."

Childress, a 36-year-old Texas native, directed a pitching staff in Lincoln this year that ranked second nationally with a 2.69 earned-run average. He also served as the Huskers' recruiting coordinator.

Nebraska finished 57-15, winning its third Big 12 title and its fourth league tournament.

Childress, who came to Nebraska in 1998 with former coach Dave Van Horn, replaces Mark Johnson at A&M. Johnson was fired May 23 by Athletic Director Bill Byrne after the Aggies finished 30-25-1 this spring and failed to qualify for the eight-team Big 12 tournament.

Nebraska Athletic Director Steve Pederson said he granted Byrne permission on Tuesday morning to speak with Childress after the NU season. Byrne, the former A.D. at Nebraska who promoted Childress to associate head coach in 2002, watched the Huskers play in Omaha Friday night.

"I think the world of Rob Childress," Pederson said. "He has been a tremendous part of what's happened at the University of Nebraska. And while we'd like to keep him here forever, I also understand that people come in here and work hard to have opportunities.

"For Rob, the opportunity to be a head coach at a Division I school is what he's worked for to this point."

Byrne's search for a replacement was believed to initially focus on Van Horn and Cal State Fullerton coach George Horton. Van Horn removed himself from consideration, as did South Carolina coach Ray Tanner, Georgia Tech coach Danny Hall and Rice's Wayne Graham.

Van Horn said Wednesday that he highly recommended Childress to Byrne. The Arkansas coach said he spoke with Childress Wednesday and that his former assistant is "ready to be a head coach."

"It's well deserved," Van Horn said. "He's done a tremendous job as a coach for the past 10 years. He's great with the kids. He's great at developing players, and he's a great recruiter."

Pederson said he had talked often with Childress recently about his value to Nebraska. Childress earned $82,244 at NU last year, more than many Division I head coaches in baseball but certainly much less than what Byrne has to offer at Texas A&M.

"We made it clear that we would do the things it took to put Rob at the very top of what assistant coaches can expect here," Pederson said. "The one thing we can't offer him is a head coaching position."

Childress was born in Gilmer, Texas, and coached and attended Northwood (Texas) University. He coached at three small schools in Texas before Van Horn hired him as an assistant coach at Northwestern (La.) State in 1995. His wife, Amanda, is a graduate of A&M.

Contact the Omaha World-Herald newsroom

I think that Dollar Bill pulled another one over on pud,

I don't get this statement. Pud gave him permission to talk to Childress. It was only a matter of time before he left for a HC job anyway. There probably wasn't much Pud could do to stop this.

Now we will see how good Anderson really is.

I have no doubt that each of them helped in their own way to keep our program where it is. I would have been happy with either of them being our head coach after Van horne left. Every one had to know that one or the other was going to want to lead his own team and put his mark on the game. Coach Anderson will do just fine and we will be back in Omaha soon if not next year. If we are not I will guarentee that it has more to do with the compitition in the Big 12 and less with whether Coach Childress is here or not. He was an asset to our team and Mike was lucky to have him. Now it is Time to grow and spread your own wings. Good luck to you Rob, I'm sure you will do a great job as a head coach.

He will be missed but he did not by himself get us to a school record in wins and our first victory at the CWS. IT IS CALLED A TEAM ATTITUDE that gets you this far and if any of the pieces had broken down the season would have been a lot different.

GO HUSKERS!!!!!!!

:cheers

Congrats to Rob !!! We will really miss his ability to develop pitchers in the future, but the guy had a "no-brainer" to go home and be a HC at an insitution with tons of cash flow..... Thanks a million for everything that he has done for this university and team, and all the best to him at A-M, except when the 'skers are in town....

Now we will see if Anderson can coach....personally, I think that he can....yes, he may have "over-coached" in the CWS, but the guy can get the kids to play for him. He will bring in the right coach to help fill the void, and NU will continue to grow in baseball..... As for the CWS next year, it is a shot, but who knows.... It is so hard to get here..... Good luck to Rob and next years Huskers