Brook Berringer Question

Geez, in a few more years, he's going to be remembered as the probable #1 pick.From the SI Vault: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/art...08053/index.htm

Last Saturday was also draft day, and it held a special promise for Brook Berringer. Unlike many Nebraska players who are drafted each year, Berringer had not been an unqualified star. Except for eight terrific games in the fall of 1994, when he saved the Corn-huskers' perfect season, Berringer had been the understudy for Tommie Frazier, one of the most productive quarterbacks in college football history. But now it seemed likely Berringer would be drafted into the NFL—if not on Saturday, perhaps on Sunday—finally with another chance at recognition. "He was looking at it as a fresh start," said center Aaron Graham. In Berringer's hometown of Goodland, Kans., his widowed mother, Jan, had ordered food for the party that would accompany Brook's selection and had arranged to rent a satellite dish so that she could tune in the later rounds of the draft.

--

His stock was rising as he had good workouts with the NFL, and it's possible some team was staying quiet about plans to draft him fairly high so that no other team would trump them. It was a weak draft for QBs, but Banks actually did step in and start as a rookie. It's not really useful to compare the potential and memory of Berringer with the reality of how other QBs like Hoying and Kanell turned out.

That is the funniest sentence ever!

Yeah, I didn't REAAAALLLLY think he was 7 foot and 4 foot across the shoulders... Nor did I think he was TRULY a MOUNTAIN of a man, I didn't see any trees or rocks falling from him and I didn't notice any streams, flora, fauna or wildlife on him... I was exaggerating, but he was a WHALE of lot bigger (and no, he didn't have a blow-hole or barnacles that I could see) in person than he appeared on my 13 inch TV in my tiny little shack (tiny and shack NOT being exaggerations) I was inhabiting at that time while the life blood was being sucked from me financially via child support (no, not literally being sucked out of my veins by a vacuum operated device). But that kid was pretty big...

Yeah, I didn't REAAAALLLLY think he was 7 foot and 4 foot across the shoulders... Nor did I think he was TRULY a MOUNTAIN of a man, I didn't see any trees or rocks falling from him and I didn't notice any streams, flora, fauna or wildlife on him... I was exaggerating, but he was a WHALE of lot bigger (and no, he didn't have a blow-hole or barnacles that I could see) in person than he appeared on my 13 inch TV in my tiny little shack (tiny and shack NOT being exaggerations) I was inhabiting at that time while the life blood was being sucked from me financially via child support (no, not literally being sucked out of my veins by a vacuum operated device). But that kid was pretty big...

:lol:

To the OP, while I can't remember his draft status going into the draft (I was 10 I think), I remember friends of mine talking about him years later and they pretty much thought he was going to be drafted in the mid rounds also.

He had the arm strength to compete in the NFL. However, the tendonitis in his throwing elbow would have limited his ability to be the guy for any NFL team. It would have been interesting to see what they would have done with him. He was 6'4, so they might have tried him at receiver. He did have upper 4.5 speed.