Jersey #18...What should NU do with it?

Situational question....You're on a committee who has decided to look at jersey numbers that deserve serious recognition or to be honored in some special way. Several jersey are brought up for consideration. The next jersey to be recognized and brought up for special honor is number 18. You immediately realize this jersey was once worn by a special young man named Brook Berringer. It is finally decided by the committee that these are the choices:

1) Retire the jersey during a game halftime with the condition that it will never be worn again. It can't even be brought out of retirement. Period.

2) Retire the jersey with the condition that it could be allowed to be brought out of retirement.

3) Don't retire the jersey, but name an athletic scholarship in Brook Berringer's name in his honor.

4). Retire the jersey and name an athletic scholarship in Brook Berringer's name in his honor. Optional: Name a athlete/citizenship award in Brook Berringer's name.

Or share with us what you think should happen to Number 18. Maybe you have your own idea.

My personal opinion is that Number 18 should be retired to never be worn again. It also should never be allowed to be brought out of retirement....ever. If there is presently no athletic citizenship award for the player demonstrating outstanding humanitarian service there should be....The Brook Berringer Athletic Humanitarian Service Award/Scholarship.

I think it should be "retired" in the same sense that #30 was retired for Rozier but still worn by other players. It would be nice to see a scholarship for humanitarianism named for him, because from what I have read, he was pretty active in the community and it would be a great way to honor him.

While I kind of knew Brook, I had family from his hometown that knew him very well. My take on the situation is this: Brook would have wanted someone else to have worn the jersey. I believe if he were alive today, he would want to see another special Husker wear his jersey. It would have made him proud to see another 18 out there on the field.

So, I guess retirement is okay. But, yes let others down the road wear the jersey. I think a Brook Berringer award is also a good idea. However, I don't think we should just limit it to Football players as Brook was considered the best basketball player on campus that didn't play for the basketball team. In high school when he went out, he also excelled in track and field. He was just an all around great athlete. Let the other athletic teams have participants with the ability to win the Brook Berringer award!

I say retire it and let it be brought out only under a very specific condition. The player wishing to wear #18 would have to be a senior, He would have to be nominated and chosen by a committee of people that include: former players that knew Brook, current players, media, and if possible a member of Brooks family. He also would have to have spent the last three to four years meeting a set of standards that Brook met as a way of life. Brook was a human being that had his own faults but I have never met a person with the team first and others first attitude. Good luck to the person that could meet all of the off the field requirements and still not complain about sitting on the bench and waiting for a shot. Playing with pain, not small pain, but pain that would put MOST players on the bench for a long time.

I say retire it with those conditions and it will take a special young man to wear a special #.

Go HUSKERS!!!!!!!!!

I hope we(Husker Nation) are fortunate to have many great student athletes in the future that can meet the challenge of excelling at such a level as to be qualified to wear #18. Anyone who can meet that challenge should be recognized as a special individual no matter which sport or venue.

GBR

• 2 weeks later...
I think it should be "retired" in the same sense that #30 was retired for Rozier but still worn by other players. It would be nice to see a scholarship for humanitarianism named for him, because from what I have read, he was pretty active in the community and it would be a great way to honor him.

The Huskers already have retired two for good. The Huskers duplicate and some triplicate numbers.