VT Backfield Issues?

jjamuss

We'll take what we can get! A win on the road in Blacksburg would be HUGE for the program and confidence booster galore for the team.

looks like the stage could be set for an upset in Blacksburg! VT has a rough road before we roll into town, so I am changing my mind about wins and losses to 11-1, OU being the only game that could be a loss for us.

We'll take what we can get! A win on the road in Blacksburg would be HUGE for the program and confidence booster galore for the team.

looks like the stage could be set for an upset in Blacksburg! VT has a rough road before we roll into town, so I am changing my mind about wins and losses to 11-1, OU being the only game that could be a loss for us.

I guess I'm one of the few who actually see us upsetting OU in Lincoln this year...

I guess I'm one of the few who actually see us upsetting OU in Lincoln this year...

Dont get me wrong, I believe with my Husker Heart that we will go 12-0... but Bradford was a Heisman finalist, OU played in the BCS Champ, they won the big XII... they are at where we are trying to get. They also pasted 4 or 5 TDs on us in the first quarter last year... they are an excellent outfit. Can we win? Yes. Do I think we will? Yes, if our boys play their best game ever on every single down. Yet, I think Stoops knows what Bo might be thinking on some packages, so I have to give a slight edge to OU.

Boomer Sooner is a homo... if you really want to know how I feel about OU. :rollin

Dont get me wrong, I believe with my Husker Heart that we will go 12-0... but Bradford was a Heisman finalist, OU played in the BCS Champ, they won the big XII... they are at where we are trying to get. They also pasted 4 or 5 TDs on us in the first quarter last year... they are an excellent outfit. Can we win? Yes. Do I think we will? Yes, if our boys play their best game ever on every single down. Yet, I think Stoops knows what Bo might be thinking on some packages, so I have to give a slight edge to OU.

Boomer Sooner is a homo... if you really want to know how I feel about OU. :rollin

He won the Heisman which makes him better than just a finalist.

He won the Heisman which makes him better than just a finalist.

Shows you what I know... youre right, he did win it, with the curse that cost OU the BCS title... just like it did for Crouch and NE. Thanks for correcting my madness.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/vtfootball/wb/216792

Interesting read about VTs issues in their backfield. Maybe they are ripe for the picking?

Having been to the first two scrimmages it is tempting to miss Evans A LOT... However, last year we dismissed Ore (very similar to the Q situation), and then we lost Kenny Lewis (our starter). That gave us the ability to see Evans tear it up the remainder of the season. As sad as the situation is for Evans, Beamer tends to always find solid RBs. Williams and Wilson are both explosive, although neither appear to have the blocking skills yet of Evans. Wednesday's scrimmage was not open to the public so I did not get to see it, but with Oglesby back and with Williams and Wilson ready to see some D1 action I am not worried at all. The offensive line looks like it has greatly improved since last year (although when I watched them in the scrimmages they played against second and third Ds), and I think both of the young RBs will do fine as long as Oglesby stays healthy so neither has to play in excess in the beginning. Although Williams has received the most hype of any of these guys, Wilson is to me the most exciting player. Combine that with TT's speed I think the backfield will be fine. It is interesting that Beamer focuses on this through media... We have yet to see if the young WRs have improved that much more. They do need to step it up this year. The D looks absolutely amazing. But hey, it's August and practice.... We'll see what they are really like in a week. Heading down to Atlanta very optimistic, but I am actually more excited about you all coming to Blacksburg two weeks later.

The health of the offensive line has a far greater impact on a team's running game than which RB totes the rock-usually.

Huh? An average back behind an outstanding line looks like an average back. An outstanding back behind an average line looks like an outstanding back. Yes, a steady O line is a big part of any running game, but to say that because you have a good line a coach can put anyone with cleats on back there and get the same results as his number one guy is just wrong.

What seems to seperate the boys from the men as far as running backs is blocking blitzers and recognizing were they are coming from. I am sure that the Pelini's will be well aware of that fact. But with Suh controlling the middle and Turner and Allen on the ends I doubt blitz's will be much of the defensive package until the end of close games. Blitz's seem to be a feast or famine deal last year. I'm thinking you are going to see a defensive lovers game with Tech and NU. Of course the Huskers win in the end!! :clap