POLL: When will NU win another national title?

When will NU win another national title?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I picked next decade. Why? It seems like teams get into a rhythm. USC is in one now. I think by the time BC adjusts to college football and gets everything tweaked, we're staring at somewhere between 08 & next decade. Another reason I chose next decade was this: IMO, BC wants another crack at the pros. He probably doesn't have to win a NC to get another shot in the pros. If we're pretty successful in the next 3 years, he'll probably get a shot at a bottom tier pro team.

Consistency breeds winning, and winning breeds championships. In just one year, we have a new receiver coach and didn't someone say a new fitness trainer? If the D doesn't improve dramatically, we could be looking at a new D coordinator in a year or two. We have to get all the staff in place, and have them there for a while before I believe we are NC contenders.

I picked next decade. Why? It seems like teams get into a rhythm. USC is in one now. I think by the time BC adjusts to college football and gets everything tweaked, we're staring at somewhere between 08 & next decade. Another reason I chose next decade was this: IMO, BC wants another crack at the pros. He probably doesn't have to win a NC to get another shot in the pros. If we're pretty successful in the next 3 years, he'll probably get a shot at a bottom tier pro team.

Consistency breeds winning, and winning breeds championships. In just one year, we have a new receiver coach and didn't someone say a new fitness trainer? If the D doesn't improve dramatically, we could be looking at a new D coordinator in a year or two. We have to get all the staff in place, and have them there for a while before I believe we are NC contenders.

Right now you have to give it a few years. Until someone starts beating USC, OU, TU it's going to be tough. And these guys are on our schedules. There better than us right now. I think, at least I'm hopeful, were going to hit USC at a good time. Leinhart will be gone and Norm Chow has already departed.

The 2 votes for Hell Freezing Over surprised me. Even though there are some anti-Pud and anti-BC people on this board, I wouldn't expect that response from any sort of NU fan. I'd like to know whoever voted this way to explain why they feel like this.

I believe next decade to WIN one, I'm hoping we're in the hunt in 07, 08, 09.

I really do not know the number of different teams that have won the MNC or the BCS NC. But very few ever win a NC of any kind. We have been forunate to have won the number we have. Will Nebraska ever win another one, I have no idea. Will Nebraska return to being a player in the NC hunt is another question. The chances of winning are slim no matter who you are. I would say SC has a chance this year of doing something no other team in recent history has been able to do. After this run by SC, I doubt we will ever see back to back champions again. Pairity is here, the goal will to be considered a possiblity. There are at least 10 teams that have that ability now. We are not one of those teams, but we really have not been one since TO left.

I will give FF the fact that our 10-3 season was better than our 5-6. The coaching was better on defense, but woefully worse on offense. The future was gone with the past staff, I do not know if their is one with this staff, but I truly believe there is. Some times you can not see the forest for the trees. Wins against Baylor, Oklahoma State, Southern Miss are wins we should not consider major accomplishments. Losses to KState, Texas and Missouri are what hurt. We were never going to win those games again with the past staff. You have to play those games now to know if this staff can win them. Many here think Pelini was a god, go to the Oklahoma board and find out what they think of him. There are people over there that are happier about his departurer than most here about Franks firing. His wins were all with mirrors. He could not defend a descent team, nor could he at Oklahoma. We will see how LSU does this year. '

There is way too much luck in winning a NC. To say we will ever win another one is on par with saying you are going to win the lottery in my mind. Odds are a little better but not enough to bet a whole lot of money on. I think in a couple of years we will be a player in the hunt, and if we are I will be very happy with Nebraska football. Winning a NC is not something that concerns me at this time.

It's easy to understand how people can be upset at Callahan's hiring. It was the end of a Nebraska coach being brought up from inside the family and Stevie P. didn't go about it the way some of us thought he should. That being said, IMO the criticism of Callahan and his NFL record is used more as a jab at Stevie than at Callahan himself. The truth is, both players and coaches are needed, but both need to have the combination of talent and attitude. One without the other will lead a team to a sub .500 season.

Callahan's Raiders went from the Super Bowl to 4-12, everyone knows this. But Gruden's Bucs (who won the super bowl) went 7-9 the next season and 5-11 last season. Does this mean that Gruden's "genius" was nothing more than a fluke? IMO he found himself with a group of players (some being injured) who were shorter on talent and shorter on attitude than he had the year(s) before.

While I recognize that the NFL is much different than college football, pointing to Callahan's 4-12 season and poor relations with players and drawing parallels to his first year here at Nebraska is no reason to believe he can't get it done. It seems to me he and his staff have worked their tails off to get our program back on the way up. Whether or not that will result in a NC is just as much speculation as anything else. But my vote is for sometime in the next decade, probably later rather than sooner, but i won't give up on any team until the last game is played.

Callahan's Raiders went from the Super Bowl to 4-12, everyone knows this. But Gruden's Bucs (who won the super bowl) went 7-9 the next season and 5-11 last season.

Stag, don't you know this was all Callahan's fault? Just like the Raiders going 4-12, just like the Huskers going 5-6, just like the Huskers going 7-7. It's always Callahan's fault. And Pederson. Get used to it.

If the Huskers win, it will have nothing to do with Callahan and Co. It will be the players.

Lose - coaches

Win - players

:wacko:

Agree with skers here...next year (and '06) will be the telling times to really know for sure. If there's improvement next year (6 or 7 wins) I'll be satisfied with that. Another 4 win year, and I'll be a disgruntled camper.

8 or more wins though, and I'll happily eat crow for all the bad things I've said about Cally and his crew. :)

I'm not real sure if you can look to 06 to see whether this coaching staff is getting it done or not. The reason I say this has a lot more to do with other teams than our own. We have no idea how good or bad KState, Colorado, ISU, or even Missouri will be. They could all be bad, some could be good, or they could all be good. We could have an 8 win season and not be all that good considering all the unknowns out there with the other teams. We could only win 4 games and still make considerable progress.

We know Texas will be good. We're not real sure how Oklahoma will be. I'm assuming they will be better than Nebraska, but who really knows. Texas Tech will be solid as will A&M. OSU with a new coaching staff, who knows? Right now, Texas has to be the front runner in the conference. After that, it's up for grabs. Disclaimer: Texas must beat OU first!

Unlike other years where you could just about go down the line in the conference and rank the teams, I don't know how you can do that this year. Hell, Kansas could win the North. There are just too many questions out there and very few answers. I will say this though, I highly doubt any Big 12 team will play for the NC this year.

For me to consider this a successful year, I don't want to see NU get beat by more than 10-12 points in their losses. I want to see competitive play on every play and every game. I don't want to see players giving up when we fall behind by a couple of touchdowns. Plus, I want to see improvement each and every game on both sides of the ball. When we do lose, I don't want excuses I want both players and coaches pissed off.

For me to consider this a successful year, I don't want to see NU get beat by more than 10-12 points in their losses. I want to see competitive play on every play and every game. I don't want to see players giving up when we fall behind by a couple of touchdowns. Plus, I want to see improvement each and every game on both sides of the ball. When we do lose, I don't want excuses I want both players and coaches pissed off.

I second that!