Telegraphing blitzes

JTrain

Anyone else notice this? When we show blitz from a linebacker (or more noticeably a safety), we tend to show it a little too early. And this, combined with the fact that we never seem to fake a blitz pre-snap, makes it pretty obvious where and when we're blitzing. I hate to second guess Bo or Carl since they obviously know what they're doing, but I do think we'd benefit from more fake looks pre-snap, or the more proficient offenses with smart QBs and smart offensive coordinators are going to take advantage.

Anyone else notice this? When we show blitz from a linebacker (or more noticeably a safety), we tend to show it a little too early. And this, combined with the fact that we never seem to fake a blitz pre-snap, makes it pretty obvious where and when we're blitzing. I hate to second guess Bo or Carl since they obviously know what they're doing, but I do think we'd benefit from more fake looks pre-snap, or the more proficient offenses with smart QBs and smart offensive coordinators are going to take advantage.

This is one of the things BYU did very well against OU. They disguised their blitzes very well.

Watching the game, it became pretty obvious pretty quick that Nebraska was playing pretty vanilla football on both sides of the ball. No crazy trick plays or formations on offense. Defense didn't blitz all that often and wasn't really trying to hide it when they did. I'm pretty sure we have some more flavor to our defense, but we're not trying to show it too early and would rather wait until VT or conference play.

Watching the game, it became pretty obvious pretty quick that Nebraska was playing pretty vanilla football on both sides of the ball. No crazy trick plays or formations on offense. Defense didn't blitz all that often and wasn't really trying to hide it when they did. I'm pretty sure we have some more flavor to our defense, but we're not trying to show it too early and would rather wait until VT or conference play.

Exactly. The game really looked like we just went out and focused on basics. I think what you were seeing was a team going fo the first game out and focusing on fundamentals so the staff could see where the team was at in a game situation. And since it was working just fine, there was no need to go beyond it.

Exactly. The game really looked like we just went out and focused on basics. I think what you were seeing was a team going fo the first game out and focusing on fundamentals so the staff could see where the team was at in a game situation. And since it was working just fine, there was no need to go beyond it.

Agree 100%

Front four seemed to be waiting on plays a lot throughout the game as well. There was not much by way of pressure with the four down. I do agree that they were able to provide the linebacker and secondary a chance to play coverage instead of blitzing every play and leaving holes. I think it will be very vanilla for this week as well and then on the road we will see the complex defense that we got glimpses of last year.

There were a couple of plays early where the front four seemed to want to generate a push upfield, and they got into the backfield pretty easily. Crick busted through the line on the blocked FG pretty easily. I think they weren't showing anything, anything at all, in this game. And they still did pretty well.