2010 schedule

hskerholic

That schedule is embarrassing. We again pay for three wins, which is absolutely disturbing in my mind (two of the saddest programs in FBS, Idaho and Western Kentucky and a frickin' FCS school, SDSU). We play one average team in Washington (one win against USC doesn't make a program). For the love of god, do people really feel good about making it to a bowl game when we're giving ourselves three free wins? We're halfway to a bowl before we even have to play a real game. It's sad.

Then our Big 12 schedule is about as favorable as you can imagine. Toughest game is against a McCoy-less Texas at home. No Oklahoma or even Baylor. Colorado, Kansas and Mizzou all at home. Toughest road game in Stillwater and the Pokes lose Robinson and maybe even Bryant. If we don't go at least 10-2 we should be ashamed.

You can thank Steve Pederson for this schedule. Although, this is still a tougher OOC schedule than Florida plays... ever. And they never leave the South. And they rarely play non-cons vs. any team outside the state of Florida. Not that this makes our schedule any better, but in context it's not the worst non-con out there.

You can thank Steve Pederson for this schedule. Although, this is still a tougher OOC schedule than Florida plays... ever. And they never leave the South. And they rarely play non-cons vs. any team outside the state of Florida. Not that this makes our schedule any better, but in context it's not the worst non-con out there.

And yet I rarely hear anyone talk about how weak their non-conference schedule is.

Miami OH

USF

Appalachian St.

@ FSU

vs.

Western Kentucky

Idaho

@ Washington

South Dakota St.

Ask 100 CFB fans which is harder.

So go sue Steve Pederson. Can you change that schedule? Can we? Even if Washington is ranked, the rest of the non-con sucks. Nobody is going to argue that. But there's nothing you can do about it, so whining about it isn't going to help.

I'm not asking us to pack our schedules full of USCs and Floridas, but it would be nice to see some average BCS conference schools and maybe a higher level non-BCS. One cupcake a season should be the maximum. And comparing our schedule to Florida or any other notorious cupcake overeater doesn't make me feel any better. Let's see some of these teams:

Wisconsin

Purdue

Syracuse

Boston College

Boise State

TCU

Vanderbilt

Kentucky

etc.

Miami OH

USF

Appalachian St.

@ FSU

vs.

Western Kentucky

Idaho

@ Washington

South Dakota St.

Ask 100 CFB fans which is harder.

So go sue Steve Pederson. Can you change that schedule? Can we? Even if Washington is ranked, the rest of the non-con sucks. Nobody is going to argue that. But there's nothing you can do about it, so whining about it isn't going to help.

So we can't talk about things that we as fans can't change? There goes 98% of the discussion on every CFB message board out there.

You made a statement that our OOC schedule in '10 was harder than any one Florida plays. I was simply challenging your claim.

I'm not asking us to pack our schedules full of USCs and Floridas, but it would be nice to see some average BCS conference schools and maybe a higher level non-BCS. One cupcake a season should be the maximum. And comparing our schedule to Florida or any other notorious cupcake overeater doesn't make me feel any better. Let's see some of these teams:

Wisconsin

Purdue

Syracuse

Boston College

Boise State

TCU

Vanderbilt

Kentucky

etc.

Completely agree. I would love to see these guys on our schedule, and I think most everyone else would agree as well. It's not traditionally done, and most of those schools aren't jumping at the chance to come to Lincoln and take a beating (or Missouri, or Texas, or Oklahoma, or wherever), especially if they've already got one decent team on their schedule.

Most schools harbor the same notion - that there are 80-ish really crummy schools out there that we can take a win against, plus make some cash on attendance, so why not schedule them? Also, you've got the Steve Pedersons of the world who hire a bad coach (or at least, a bad fit), and they need to schedule some cupcakes so their bad hire doesn't look so bad. CYA, you know. That happens a lot, too.

You made a statement that our OOC schedule in '10 was harder than any one Florida plays. I was simply challenging your claim.

You're probably right. In 2010 our OOC schedule is weaker than Florida's. But that's one year out of the last, say, 20, that this is true.

And it's still Pedey's fault.

I'll gas up the Winnebago and you and me can go to Pitt and give ol' Pedey a noogie. Whattaya say?

an elite school (or wannabe) should be embarassed at the scheduling. and lots of "elite" programs do it.

they should all be ashamed of padding the W column.

let the isu and ksu schools of the world feast on cupcakes.

that being said, a six year home and home with teams like florida, bama, LSU, vatech, USC, boise state instead would get an A.D. ridden outta town on rails.

nu should at least keep the vatech home/home going (since the tide is about to turn) and add usc (revenge factor) and florida in there too.

can't complain about that scheduling! football elites trading punches!!

every big game televised!

win those games each year and instantly the MNC title contender!!

Noogie idea is fine by me. I've always wanted to take a road trip in a nice RV.

I think in the current era, any type of bowl streak has really lost it's luster. When the big name programs are paying for three easy wins, that leaves just three left to make a bowl game. There are way too many bowl games as it is.