Bo's Dynasty

kjp55

Agreed.

And let's not forget where we were two years ago people...

Kind of like in 2006, when we played two top 10 teams extremely close and should have won each game, and were only two years removed from the 5-6 2004 season :D....

OK, somebody had to say it. We are making progress, but we can't be satisfied with where we are.

Under Clownahan I would call those close games blind dumb luck. That guy didn't have a clue.

Agreed.

Kind of like in 2006, when we played two top 10 teams extremely close and should have won each game, and were only two years removed from the 5-6 2004 season :D....

OK, somebody had to say it. We are making progress, but we can't be satisfied with where we are.

Under Clownahan I would call those close games blind dumb luck. That guy didn't have a clue.

Just the same offense <_< hmm

Agreed.

OK, it was a joke!

Not sure if this is the place to post this, but I really liked what coach Sanders said in the Va Tech post-game, regarding the defensive breakdown on the 81-yarder.

"But you know, that was one play and the kid played good all game. I just got to get him coached up a little better."

I don't know. This just struck me as a solid move by a coach, acknowledging the mistake but not throwing a kid under the bus and taking some of the heat for himself. At the end of the day coaches talk about their "kids" because, y'know what, they are kids. Just thought it was an interesting quote.

As for the topic at hand: We're so anxious to get back to where we were as a dynasty program, that I think sometimes Husker fans need to pull back a bit and be realistic. You don't become a national power — when you think about the dump we were in just three years ago — in one or two years. So let's realize that, sometimes at the absolute best, rebuilding into a power is a five-year plan. We're on the right road and we have the right guys in charge. I firmly believe that.

Go Big Red. See you all in Lincoln for the La-Lafayette game.

Let's put this all in perspective. I remember when a young Tom Osborne took over the reins from Bob at the height of his success. He did well, but he was branded for YEARS as choking in the big game. If you think Stoops catches guff, at least Stoops got a NC under his belt. Osborne struggled for years against Switzer and then just as the Switzer monkey got off his back, enter the Florida teams. We look back now with the rose colored glasses that 3 eventual NC's provide, but Tom was on the hot seat for a long time. It took him over 20 years to win the big one--and most NU fans consider him one of the greatest college coaches of all time.

Enter Bo Pelini, not taking over a program at the height of its success, but instead taking it over after it has been run into the ground for the better part of a decade. Gone is the walk-on program and all of the other programs and traditions that gave NU its championship foundation. Gone is the identity of the program and all of the things that Osborne had built or inherited. Forgodsakes, when he took over last year, he had to teach the team how to TACKLE, because evidently the prior staff didn't.

Now we're in the beginning of year two of a rebuilding process like this program hasn't seen in decades, and a lot of "fans" are livid because Nebraska lost a close road game to one of the better teams in the country. Seriously people......just what do you expect this guy to do--turn water into wine? I don't give a rat if NU hasn't beaten a top 20 opponent in however many years. Those old losses aren't Pelini's fault, because he wasn't here losing those games. He's got a huge undertaking and is making good progress in the short time he's been at the helm. He's learning as a coach, just as Osborne did, making mistakes--just like Osborne did..... and his program will evolve with him as he evolves as a coach--just like Osborne's did. The way I see it, he's got another 20 years before you can throw him under the bus for not winning a NC. After all, that's what we gave Tom--and he inherited a program in a LOT better shape than Bo.

Let's put this all in perspective. I remember when a young Tom Osborne took over the reins from Bob at the height of his success. He did well, but he was branded for YEARS as choking in the big game. If you think Stoops catches guff, at least Stoops got a NC under his belt. Osborne struggled for years against Switzer and then just as the Switzer monkey got off his back, enter the Florida teams. We look back now with the rose colored glasses that 3 eventual NC's provide, but Tom was on the hot seat for a long time. It took him over 20 years to win the big one--and most NU fans consider him one of the greatest college coaches of all time.

Enter Bo Pelini, not taking over a program at the height of its success, but instead taking it over after it has been run into the ground for the better part of a decade. Gone is the walk-on program and all of the other programs and traditions that gave NU its championship foundation. Gone is the identity of the program and all of the things that Osborne had built or inherited. Forgodsakes, when he took over last year, he had to teach the team how to TACKLE, because evidently the prior staff didn't.

Now we're in the beginning of year two of a rebuilding process like this program hasn't seen in decades, and a lot of "fans" are livid because Nebraska lost a close road game to one of the better teams in the country. Seriously people......just what do you expect this guy to do--turn water into wine? I don't give a rat if NU hasn't beaten a top 20 opponent in however many years. Those old losses aren't Pelini's fault, because he wasn't here losing those games. He's got a huge undertaking and is making good progress in the short time he's been at the helm. He's learning as a coach, just as Osborne did, making mistakes--just like Osborne did..... and his program will evolve with him as he evolves as a coach--just like Osborne's did. The way I see it, he's got another 20 years before you can throw him under the bus for not winning a NC. After all, that's what we gave Tom--and he inherited a program in a LOT better shape than Bo.

Ditto.

A belated welcome to HuskerBoard Paul. Ibecame a Husker fan at the beginning of the Osborne Years. I grew up in Sioux City, Iowa and had been an Iowa fan for a long time. That program had been a once power in the Big 10 but for years were either getting beat or re-building. On Thanksgiving day 1971, shortly after I had returned fron Viet Nam I became a Husker Fan. When I moved to Omaha a couple of years later I can remember thinking, these Husker fans who are bitchin' about Osborne should move to Iowa and see how they like it there.

Bo came in and immediately got us back to 9 wins in a season. He is young, this is his second year as a head coach, many of his players were brought in by the former coach, and he still is bringing back the swagger to Husker Football. The Nebraska winter doesn't exactly help with recruiting but when a player signs with UNL he wants to play for the Big Red, and this is an advantage for us. I want kids who want to be Huskers and players who fight, scratch and claw their way to being The Best, to being Huskers.

T_O_B

:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez

Not sure if this is the place to post this, but I really liked what coach Sanders said in the Va Tech post-game, regarding the defensive breakdown on the 81-yarder.

"But you know, that was one play and the kid played good all game. I just got to get him coached up a little better."

I don't know. This just struck me as a solid move by a coach, acknowledging the mistake but not throwing a kid under the bus and taking some of the heat for himself. At the end of the day coaches talk about their "kids" because, y'know what, they are kids. Just thought it was an interesting quote.

As for the topic at hand: We're so anxious to get back to where we were as a dynasty program, that I think sometimes Husker fans need to pull back a bit and be realistic. You don't become a national power — when you think about the dump we were in just three years ago — in one or two years. So let's realize that, sometimes at the absolute best, rebuilding into a power is a five-year plan. We're on the right road and we have the right guys in charge. I firmly believe that.

Go Big Red. See you all in Lincoln for the La-Lafayette game.

Nicely put, brotha

Agreed.

Sure.... same offense..... WAAAAYYY DIFFERENT DEFENSE.

:yeah

Well put.