Tim Griffin

I don't read Tim's blog to see what bias he's having this week. I read it to keep abreast of Big 12 happenings. If people don't like reading what he says, don't read it. I used to enjoy reading Steward Mandel. But he's another "idiot" who has never played football (as are probably 95% of the sports writers...I think most sports writers were the Steve Urkel's at their school and this is their way of "getting back" at the jocks) so I quit reading his stuff.

Griffin has to write a sports blog pretty much every day, right? It's nearly impossible to write that much and not say something negative about every single team in the conference you cover.

Just try writing five paragraphs about the Big XII every day from now until the end of bowl season. Five paragraphs, and see if you don't say something that someone somewhere will perceive as negative.

Then go back and reread what you wrote. If you write nothing at all negative, I wonder how realistic you would find even your own blog.

That's what Griffin is up against. It's a stiff chore.

I dont know if anyone else is addicted to reading his blog, but I am getting pretty tired of his husker hating, he seems to have a pretty strong bias against the big red, or is it just me. :espnsucks:

He said the reason Nebraska isn't in his top two for the North is because Nebraska had trouble in the red zone, "IN BLACKSBURG", Against "#13 VIRGINA TECH" with a first year starter at QB SHOCKING!!! The New Orleans SAINTS would have trouble in The Red Zone there.

And for that he believes that Nebraska will have problems with Baylor? Kansas? I like the Skers chances against OU at home, and against MU on a Thursday night..

Pound for pound Nebraska Dominated Va Tech.. anyone who says different is ignorant.

Sorry my rant is over....

:rant

He mostly right Nebraska in this offense has had problems scoring against teams that have defenses. Sure they look great playing teams with no defense Colorado, Ark State, Kansas and so on. <_<

Nebraska used to laugh at the teams that had 300 yards passing 80 yards rushing and had only 14 points to show. Osborne once stated that you beat a defense with the run and it demoralizes the whole defense compared to beating someone that was one on one with a receiver.

By the way, really like the Avatar. chuckleshuffle

I don't read Tim's blog to see what bias he's having this week. I read it to keep abreast of Big 12 happenings. If people don't like reading what he says, don't read it. I used to enjoy reading Steward Mandel. But he's another "idiot" who has never played football (as are probably 95% of the sports writers...I think most sports writers were the Steve Urkel's at their school and this is their way of "getting back" at the jocks) so I quit reading his stuff.

Yeah I agree there. I stopped watching ESPN and stopped reading anything on ESPN personally. I get tired of the flavor of the month things they do. What got me was Tim talking about Baylor and I just can't buy into it. Robert Griffin might be a good quarterback, but it takes more than one guy to win games. Don't get me wrong though...there are guys who played football that are now in sportscasting and they know less than Tim.

Why do some people assume that since members of the media "never" played football they know nothing.

Tim Griffin, along with everyother sportswriter, knows more about our program than we as everyday fans do. He is at every Big 12 press conference, most conference calls. He is IN the locker rooms talking to players and coaches one on one. Bo Pelini would know Griffin on the street, he would have no clue who I am.

Most of the knowledge that most of us fans has about our program, is written by the media. However, it IS up to us to decide if we feel certain writers concentrate more on negatives than positives.

Mark Clayton (ESPN NFL analyst) obviously doesn't look the part of an athlete. But I'm pretty sure he could make anyone of us look stupid in a football discussion.

my .02

Why do some people assume that since members of the media "never" played football they know nothing.

Tim Griffin, along with everyother sportswriter, knows more about our program than we as everyday fans do. He is at every Big 12 press conference, most conference calls. He is IN the locker rooms talking to players and coaches one on one. Bo Pelini would know Griffin on the street, he would have no clue who I am.

Most of the knowledge that most of us fans has about our program, is written by the media. However, it IS up to us to decide if we feel certain writers concentrate more on negatives than positives.

Mark Clayton (ESPN NFL analyst) obviously doesn't look the part of an athlete. But I'm pretty sure he could make anyone of us look stupid in a football discussion.

my .02

That is a good point and in my post I made it a point to say that it doesn't mean they don't know anything about football. I am talking more game planning and techniques...most don't know what the heck is going on. Look at a post Tim said about the V-Tech game (I don't have it and too lazy to look for it lol). He said Nebraska's D folded to give V-Tech the game. Personally I say our Offense folded and that is why we lost.

I could be wrong, but I understand the concepts and the schemes and I always wonder if guys like Griffin do. They might surprise me, but for now I just don't think they can really know until they strap it on and have played. Granted I never played College football so I don't really know what that is like either. Remember, just because a guy knows a lot about the players and blah, blah, blah...doesn't mean he knows how the team will respond in games and situations.

Tim thinks Kansas will win the North, because of their skill guys. Yeah you need skill guys and they will do wonders for your program, but it more often comes down to solid lines on both sides, solid running, and solid defense...those things win championships. That and not being your own worst enemy helps.

If you consider where Baylor was against where Baylor is now, they're gonna hype on em. I don't buy into all the hype either, but they do seem to be playing better.

That's exactly how I feel. I like Art Briles and what he is doing down there for Baylor...so yeah I get why they would talk so much about them. They have to get that defense and the run blocking down though for them to take the next step...but good for them. I hope Baylor makes a good showing in all games except for the Nebraska game of course lol.