Bo and the game management

Twodocs

Vince,

I am going to respectfully disagree. You are correct when you say that timeouts are sometimes called because players or coaches don't know what to do. But, if you don't know what to do, it is IMPORTANT that you call a timeout and figure it out before you run or defend the next play. Make sure everyone is on the same page. As a coach for 15 years, I have called timeouts that I did NOT want to call, but under the circumstances, I had to call one or put my team at a huge disadvantage.

I see what you are saying. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with you, but I certainly see your point.

You agree, trust me, you agree. I know not everyone likes seeing timeouts being used. But as a coach you cant assume you will need them later in the game, every play on offense is pretty much designed to score a TD, so if you think you need a timeout to get your guys in the right place, then that is the most important thing to do.

Vince,

I am going to respectfully disagree. You are correct when you say that timeouts are sometimes called because players or coaches don't know what to do. But, if you don't know what to do, it is IMPORTANT that you call a timeout and figure it out before you run or defend the next play. Make sure everyone is on the same page. As a coach for 15 years, I have called timeouts that I did NOT want to call, but under the circumstances, I had to call one or put my team at a huge disadvantage.

I see what you are saying. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with you, but I certainly see your point.

You agree, trust me, you agree. I know not everyone likes seeing timeouts being used. But as a coach you cant assume you will need them later in the game, every play on offense is pretty much designed to score a TD, so if you think you need a timeout to get your guys in the right place, then that is the most important thing to do.

Okay, I agree. I think ;)

Bo is in a growing process, you never know about a guy till he has the ultimate authority and they all have growing pains and make mistakes. those who expect anyone to step in and make dramatic upgrades to a program in one yr are doomed to be dissappointed. Those who pt out his obvious mistakes are no less a fan of the program than someone who questions that posters loyalty.

Pinkel took over the MU program and made a ton of questionable mistakes and had the fans calling for his hd untill he grew and upgraded the program and it took years. Is he a grt hd coach? Not really but he has made Tigers competitive and put them on the national map while running a very clean program, a credit to the Big 12. Guy who roots out the cancers and gets rid of them, unlike Mangino who turns out is running a Thug U. GP may not be an Urban Meyer or top 5 HC but he is a very good one who runs a program that you can be proud of, with players who have character who are moving on to the next level and who get their degrees, which is kinda what college is about.

Watson's playcalling in the vt game was not very good. Helu was dealing and you don't pound the ball when you are on the 3 and Lee is not making grt decisions? Give roy the da** ball, you have to have your playmakers make the plays and he is the best thing about NU's O. Bo is still in his formative whoamI stage, jury is still out on his abilities (as it is in all HC's) till he has at least 3 or 4 yrs of results in not only wins or losses but in recruiting and running a program. Still hasn't beaten anyone of consequence which isn't surprising for a young coach, time will tell.

That's a perfect analogy rcruiter. In some ways one can use Penkel as a comparison of a good head coach learning the ropes and doing it the right way. Over the years it seemed he did some things in games that put Mizzou at a disadvantage but the game is a constant learning experience for even the Paterno's of the world. One also has to remember that assistants and coordinators move on such as Mizzou losing their oc to become hc at Wyoming. A lot more will be known by the end of the season of both Pelini, Penkel, Hawkins and the rest of the coaches. But all and all Penkel is doing a pretty good job. :clap