Bo and the game management

Twodocs

Well, really we didn't even need the timeouts in the V-Tech game at the end. But I agree we need to get to the point where we don't need to use up our timeouts, because there will be times where we will need them towards the end of the game.

I want to comment on the redzone thing though. Shawn Watson has struggled in the redzone all the way back to his Colorado days. In my opinion, this is where we need to get physical and they need to be able to finish. I personally think it is the playcalling, which falls on Wats.

Depth wise I like where we are heading. We have a lot of young guys getting game experience and that is really going to help us in the long run. Granted I think we should have a little more faith in Burkhead...we didn't let him run it once against Tech and he is our #2 back.

Also I want to go back to playcalling...is it just me or does Watson try to make sure he stays balanced? I mean you could see that Lee was struggling, so wouldn't you try to run the ball more since it is working? This is what I think of when it comes to game management...calling the right plays when something is working and not just to keep your calls balanced. Just things that I was thinking and not calling for anyone's head or anything like that...anyone have thoughts on these things?

I have coached for 10 years now, every timeout that I or my staff has used has always been because at that time it was the most important thing to do. Thats why we call the timeout. Thats why all coaches call timeouts.

That's wrong. A lot of times they call a timeout because they don't know what to do. Not knowing what to do is a far cry from it being the most important thing to do.

Vince,

I am going to respectfully disagree. You are correct when you say that timeouts are sometimes called because players or coaches don't know what to do. But, if you don't know what to do, it is IMPORTANT that you call a timeout and figure it out before you run or defend the next play. Make sure everyone is on the same page. As a coach for 15 years, I have called timeouts that I did NOT want to call, but under the circumstances, I had to call one or put my team at a huge disadvantage.

I have coached for 10 years now, every timeout that I or my staff has used has always been because at that time it was the most important thing to do. Thats why we call the timeout. Thats why all coaches call timeouts.

That's wrong. A lot of times they call a timeout because they don't know what to do. Not knowing what to do is a far cry from it being the most important thing to do.

So, we should have saved the timeouts when we didn't know what to do allowing them to score a couple of TD's? If you don't know what to do at the moment, it is the most important thing to do in order to figure it out. I think not knowing what to do can and will cost us games if we don't call the timeout and figure it out.

Vince,

I am going to respectfully disagree. You are correct when you say that timeouts are sometimes called because players or coaches don't know what to do. But, if you don't know what to do, it is IMPORTANT that you call a timeout and figure it out before you run or defend the next play. Make sure everyone is on the same page. As a coach for 15 years, I have called timeouts that I did NOT want to call, but under the circumstances, I had to call one or put my team at a huge disadvantage.

I see what you are saying. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with you, but I certainly see your point.

The defensive timeouts are infuriating, but it is better to do that than to give up a TD because there is confusion on where guys are lined up. It is easy to point out what doesn't work(Solich, Callahan, and now Pelini) after we had Osborne cranking a well-oiled, unflappable Big Red Machine. I think there is plenty of room for improvement in game management, but the huge difference is that the players seem to be more ready to play than under Callahan and can adapt to these lapses in game management a little better.

Is this thread for real?

Roy gets into the flow of the game at the expense of Rex. Are we arguing with the numbers he posted?

Cody Green knows about a fourth of the offense. Do we really want him taking meaningful snaps now?

The defense shut down Tech almost completely, save for the big play. And even then the DB who was burned made a sack on the next play. How is Bo overconfident? How did the defense show it was rattled?

Ricky T is just getting to the point where he can be trusted on defense. I think it was widely known that the guy made a lot of mistakes last year. So, again, play people who aren't ready. We want to do that?

What we saw from Zac last Saturday was what many of our QBs have gone through in their first season under center. Don't blast him for it until he establishes a pattern of play. Or, in other words, wait til the offseason. If Lee's numbers are bad, then Cody Green can start trying to take the job from him for the 2010 season.

Lastly, Bo has nothing in common with Callahan. I can not believe this thread. Turn on the coach already. Nice work everybody. :dumdum:dumdum:dumdum:dumdum:dumdum:dumdum:dumdum

Don't listen to these fairweather morons. Already calling for their heads?. What a tool. These people who feel this way should just get the hell off of this board. This is a fan board, NOT!!! a fairweather/bandwagon board. GO BIG RED!!! WIN OR LOSE!!

Is this thread for real?

Roy gets into the flow of the game at the expense of Rex. Are we arguing with the numbers he posted?

Cody Green knows about a fourth of the offense. Do we really want him taking meaningful snaps now?

The defense shut down Tech almost completely, save for the big play. And even then the DB who was burned made a sack on the next play. How is Bo overconfident? How did the defense show it was rattled?

Ricky T is just getting to the point where he can be trusted on defense. I think it was widely known that the guy made a lot of mistakes last year. So, again, play people who aren't ready. We want to do that?

What we saw from Zac last Saturday was what many of our QBs have gone through in their first season under center. Don't blast him for it until he establishes a pattern of play. Or, in other words, wait til the offseason. If Lee's numbers are bad, then Cody Green can start trying to take the job from him for the 2010 season.

Lastly, Bo has nothing in common with Callahan. I can not believe this thread. Turn on the coach already. Nice work everybody. :dumdum:dumdum:dumdum:dumdum:dumdum:dumdum:dumdum

Don't listen to these fairweather morons. Already calling for their heads?. What a tool. These people who feel this way should just get the hell off of this board. This is a fan board, NOT!!! a fairweather/bandwagon board. GO BIG RED!!! WIN OR LOSE!!

:laughpound:facepalm::rollin

Do we know why he called each time out? If Bo sees something after a formation shift that he thinks is going to cost a big play or TD, then it was more than worth it. I think part of peoples irritation with it is they are so used to seeing an offensive coach in charge, that they have become overly accustomed to time outs being the exclusive property of the offense.

A qb in his first starting role, very young linebackers, coaching staff 3 games into it's second season. I'm not surprised. It'll take some time to smooth out the rough edges. Castille was the red zone/short yardage back. As far as Burkhead. Helu was hot and getting better with each carry much as the good backs do. Other than the bust in coverage against V Tech at the end, the most disappointing part of the game that I have seen out of the Huskers is the wide outs. Nile's has shown up from time to time, Gilleyen has a ways to go but his speed is awesome and Holt is another big bodied target that never seems to pan out. Luckily we have McNeil at tight end. I just don't see anyone getting that tough catch like we have seen with Swift and Peterson the last few years. Just my 2 cents.

The defensive timeouts are infuriating, but it is better to do that than to give up a TD because there is confusion on where guys are lined up. It is easy to point out what doesn't work(Solich, Callahan, and now Pelini) after we had Osborne cranking a well-oiled, unflappable Big Red Machine. I think there is plenty of room for improvement in game management, but the huge difference is that the players seem to be more ready to play than under Callahan and can adapt to these lapses in game management a little better.

I am seeing the potential as well and hopefully things continue in this direction. :thumbs

cscott2win stole some of my thunder and he (or she) is absolutely right. We have a very young and inexperienced defense, save for the line, and they played a whale of a game. The defensive time outs are not that big a deal to me because the guys are so young. I consider it good coaching that they called them when they needed to. As the D gets more seasoned, we'll be able to save them for later in the game. If our young and inexperienced offense, save for the line and RB, had put the ball in the end zone ONCE then we would not have had to worry about a big play at the end that killed us.

Actually they have a few things in common:

They are both men

They are both married

They both coached Nebraska

They both coached with Shawn Watson and Ted Gilmore

They both have 2 daughters

They both have worn beige to a press conference

They both are hard-headed

They both coached in the NFL

They both played college football

They are both being paid over $1,000,000 by the State of Nebraska

They both go by a name that begins with the letter “B”

They both have a knack for burning timeouts (just like Got Frank did)

That's way too much!

Fire him! Now!

:sarcasm

Actually, it's a fan board that exists to allow fans to express their opinions - pro and con.

And ease off on the name calling. While we understand the passion, there's no place for that.