Thernarse gone for the season

This just occurred to me. Would Frazier have been granted a medical redshirt had he not came back for the bowl game? Didn't he go down in the 4th game of the season in 94'?

If I recall, because we played that Kickoff Classic game against West Virginia, Frazier had played one more game than was allowed. T.O. tried to get the medical redshirt, and I'm thinking might have even appealed to the NCAA, but they denied it. We wouldn't have played in the Orange Bowl that year if he was granted the redshirt.

Why wouldn't we have played in the Orange Bowl if he was granted the medical redshirt?

Because that probably would have put him over the number of games he's allowed to play in a season due to med. redshirt........I don't know for sure, but that's what I remember hearing. NCAA rules get complicated.

bummer. we need him now!

Yes we do, since we are about to face the vaunted MISSOURI PASSING ATTACK, the likes of which have never been seen in college football. Although even with Thenarse, or for that matter, a crew of all-star NFL LBs, DBs, and safeties, we'd still be lucky to hold this INCREDIBLE Tiger team to less than 800 yards passing.

They've already killed the spirit and will of the Illinois football team to even compete for the rest of the season. In fadt, that program may never bounce back.

This just occurred to me. Would Frazier have been granted a medical redshirt had he not came back for the bowl game? Didn't he go down in the 4th game of the season in 94'?

If I recall, because we played that Kickoff Classic game against West Virginia, Frazier had played one more game than was allowed. T.O. tried to get the medical redshirt, and I'm thinking might have even appealed to the NCAA, but they denied it. We wouldn't have played in the Orange Bowl that year if he was granted the redshirt.

Why wouldn't we have played in the Orange Bowl if he was granted the medical redshirt?

Just guessing, but I think he may have meant, "we wouldn't have play him in the Orange Bowl."

Per Wierd Herald:

Thanks to an April 2007 amendment to the NCAA standards for granting a hardship waiver, also known as a medical redshirt, Rickey Thenarse qualifies to play next season at Nebraska.

Thenarse, the Huskers' senior safety from Los Angeles, suffered an injury to his right knee while covering a first-quarter kickoff Saturday in the NU win over Louisiana-Lafayette. He has not been ruled out for the season, but Thenarse left practice Wednesday on crutches and appears done for a while.

If he does not play in another game this fall, he would meet the criteria to receive a hardship waiver, which requires that a student-athlete play in three or fewer contests OR no more than 30 percent of his team's games in the first half of the season.

To calculate, 30 percent of a 12-game season is 3.6 games. According to NU administrator Jeff Jamrog, the NCAA rounds up to 4.0, allowing Thenarse -- who has played in all four games -- to meet that qualification. Additionally, he has not redshirted at NU and would not require a waiver to extend his five-year clock.

The amendment in 2007 upped the standards from two games or 20 percent, for which Thenarse would not qualify even if the Huskers played the maximum 14 games this season.

If Thenarse wants to play in 2010, Nebraska must file paperwork with the NCAA to document his injury after this season.

Per Wierd Herald:

Thanks to an April 2007 amendment to the NCAA standards for granting a hardship waiver, also known as a medical redshirt, Rickey Thenarse qualifies to play next season at Nebraska.

Thenarse, the Huskers' senior safety from Los Angeles, suffered an injury to his right knee while covering a first-quarter kickoff Saturday in the NU win over Louisiana-Lafayette. He has not been ruled out for the season, but Thenarse left practice Wednesday on crutches and appears done for a while.

If he does not play in another game this fall, he would meet the criteria to receive a hardship waiver, which requires that a student-athlete play in three or fewer contests OR no more than 30 percent of his team's games in the first half of the season.

To calculate, 30 percent of a 12-game season is 3.6 games. According to NU administrator Jeff Jamrog, the NCAA rounds up to 4.0, allowing Thenarse -- who has played in all four games -- to meet that qualification. Additionally, he has not redshirted at NU and would not require a waiver to extend his five-year clock.

The amendment in 2007 upped the standards from two games or 20 percent, for which Thenarse would not qualify even if the Huskers played the maximum 14 games this season.

If Thenarse wants to play in 2010, Nebraska must file paperwork with the NCAA to document his injury after this season.

Suh-weeet!