Thernarse gone for the season

Isn't the rule that you may qualify if you played in 25% of the games or less? Ricky made appearances in 4 games, yes? We have 12 regular season games. Even if you consider a potential conference championship and bowl games, he'd still have appeared in more than 25% of the games. Or perhaps the game in which he was injured doesn't count.....

Not sure he'll qualify:

In Division I, a student-athlete can apply for a hardship waiver if a season-ending injury or illness occurs in the first half of the season. The student-athlete, however, must not have participated in more than two contests or dates of competition or 20 percent (whichever is greater) of the institution's scheduled contests.

NCAA Website

No official announcement, but Pelini was discussing his getting a medical redshirt.

http://www.huskerextra.com/articles/2009/1...a0921669682.txt

Welcome to Monday's news. Anyone who watched Thenarse go down and Bo come over to him on the field knew he was gone when he was injured. We've had several guys banged up but Bo hasn't come out on the field for any of them. This was different.

Besides, some of our "insiders" were confirming Thenarse was gone on Sunday, I believe. You're not exactly breaking any news here.

Not sure he'll qualify:

In Division I, a student-athlete can apply for a hardship waiver if a season-ending injury or illness occurs in the first half of the season. The student-athlete, however, must not have participated in more than two contests or dates of competition or 20 percent (whichever is greater) of the institution's scheduled contests.

NCAA Website

Rule has been updated since 2005. It's now 30%.

This just occurred to me. Would Frazier have been granted a medical redshirt had he not came back for the bowl game? Didn't he go down in the 4th game of the season in 94'?

If I recall, because we played that Kickoff Classic game against West Virginia, Frazier had played one more game than was allowed. T.O. tried to get the medical redshirt, and I'm thinking might have even appealed to the NCAA, but they denied it. We wouldn't have played in the Orange Bowl that year if he was granted the redshirt.

Not sure he'll qualify:

NCAA Website

Rule has been updated since 2005. It's now 30%.

And the way they calculate it should allow for the medical waiver.

.3 * 12 games = 3.6 which rounds up to 4

or if we make the CCG, .3 * 13 games = 3.9 which also rounds up to 4

Reference: NCAA rules publication

See section 14.2.4, specifically 14.2.4.3.6.2

Again, this has already been discussed in detail in other threads

This just occurred to me. Would Frazier have been granted a medical redshirt had he not came back for the bowl game? Didn't he go down in the 4th game of the season in 94'?

If I recall, because we played that Kickoff Classic game against West Virginia, Frazier had played one more game than was allowed. T.O. tried to get the medical redshirt, and I'm thinking might have even appealed to the NCAA, but they denied it. We wouldn't have played in the Orange Bowl that year if he was granted the redshirt.

Why wouldn't we have played in the Orange Bowl if he was granted the medical redshirt?