Tuff as Rain

With the Virginia Tech debacle still dully aching inside, I have to come forward and admit that I still have a hard time believing what happened last night really happened. Sure we had a 57 yard miracle against a pisser of a Colorado team last year, but generally speaking this kind of stuff just doesn't happen to Nebraska.

And while it may be premature to predict it, I feel as though I have to say something bold about this defense of ours. That something is: Behold the face of things to come. When Bo Pelini was hired, this was the reason. Your offense is going to sputter. It happens to every offense regardless of how good every single season. There's just something wrong––maybe the weather has a hand––something isn't happening like it should. The difference between teams that win championships and teams that don't (Missouri is a fine example) is a defense which says, "All right, you're sucking right now. No worries. You don't need 35 points to win this. You need 13." Whatever there is to say about Nebraska's quarterbacking and general offensive performance, this much is clear. As long as the Brothers Pelini are around, the games will be few that our offense will need five touchdowns.

And it's begun to happen against spread teams.

As much as one would like to simply sit and meditate on how ridiculously, insanely, undeniably dominant Suh is as a player, you can hardly discount the play of the secondary. There were batted balls, turnovers, physical tackling, and sound assignment football. The Tiger's one touchdown of the night was a wet field gift followed essentially by a trick play where Gabbert rolled his wheelchair in the end zone for the score (despite the fat yellow line the commentator squiggled between the downed knee and the unbroken plane).

The thing I took away from last night's roaring comeback victory was that there is no one left on the schedule that Nebraska can't beat. Not keep close. Not hang with. Beat. Doesn't mean it will happen. Doesn't mean they're BCS bound. But the outlook for this season is rosy if the D can keep playing like they have been.

With the Virginia Tech debacle still dully aching inside, I have to come forward and admit that I still have a hard time believing what happened last night really happened. Sure we had a 57 yard miracle against a pisser of a Colorado team last year, but generally speaking this kind of stuff just doesn't happen to Nebraska.

And while it may be premature to predict it, I feel as though I have to say something bold about this defense of ours. That something is: Behold the face of things to come. When Bo Pelini was hired, this was the reason. Your offense is going to sputter. It happens to every offense regardless of how good every single season. There's just something wrong––maybe the weather has a hand––something isn't happening like it should. The difference between teams that win championships and teams that don't (Missouri is a fine example) is a defense which says, "All right, you're sucking right now. No worries. You don't need 35 points to win this. You need 13." Whatever there is to say about Nebraska's quarterbacking and general offensive performance, this much is clear. As long as the Brothers Pelini are around, the games will be few that our offense will need five touchdowns.

And it's begun to happen against spread teams.

As much as one would like to simply sit and meditate on how ridiculously, insanely, undeniably dominant Suh is as a player, you can hardly discount the play of the secondary. There were batted balls, turnovers, physical tackling, and sound assignment football. The Tiger's one touchdown of the night was a wet field gift followed essentially by a trick play where Gabbert rolled his wheelchair in the end zone for the score (despite the fat yellow line the commentator squiggled between the downed knee and the unbroken plane).

The thing I took away from last night's roaring comeback victory was that there is no one left on the schedule that Nebraska can't beat. Not keep close. Not hang with. Beat. Doesn't mean it will happen. Doesn't mean they're BCS bound. But the outlook for this season is rosy if the D can keep playing like they have been.

I agree completely with the entire assessment.