Call Poison Control

ray233

CFN has us ranked #5 in the Country behind Virginia Tech:

Nebraska 4-1

Last Week: W, at Missouri 27-12

This Week: Texas Tech

Why the ranking is too high: The offense took a while to show up against Missouri. So far, that's the only win of note, and while it's a good one, for about three quarters this looked like a team that didn't belong anywhere near the top ten. There's still more to prove, but that chance likely won't come until the Oklahoma game on November 7th.

Why the ranking is too low: The Husker defense has become special. It was special to start the season, but after what Ndamukong Suh and the D did to Missouri, now it looks Big 12 title good. If the Big 12's No. 1 pass defense stops Texas Tech next week, then the Huskers might be a lock for the Big 12 Championship. Would a 12-1 champion have a shot at Pasadena? It's not too early to think big for a team with a D this good.

They also have the Blackshirts @ #2 on their weekly who's hot/who's not column:

2. The Blackshirts

Bo Pelini has withheld the fabled Blackshirt jerseys until he feels his Huskers have earned them. The coach might be forced to give in real soon. Nebraska is No. 2 nationally in scoring defense, failing to yield more than 16 points in any one game. The pass defense has been air-tight, aided by the relentless push up front from linemen Ndamukong Suh, Barry Turner, Jared Crick, and Pierre Allen.

:leghump:

agreed. If we beat tech handily, then I don't think B12 CG is a far fetch. However, if we beat TT handily, that means Lee stepped it up and was consistent a full game against someone other then the sunbelt. Although, I think Helu and SuperB have a great day Saturday, we still need to see that Lee can make it happen.

COME ON LEE, LET IT OUT!! dedhoarse

Yeah I don't know if I buy #5....the defense is just top notch but the offense hasn't been consistent enough in big games/road games for me to agree with that ranking.

Plus, the Huskers really need to work on staying focused and playing good, disciplined football. Too many penalties for my liking...although a lot of them have been questionable.

A few more solid wins down the road and I will be drinking the kool-aid as well.

CFN previously had us at #4, didn't they?

Well, two weeks ago they had us a #6. Of course, there was the disclaimer that everyone after VTech at #4 "NOTE: We'd like to stop here, but we won't. Take the teams from No. 5 to, roughly, No. 35, throw them in a bag and pick them out, and you'd probably have the right order." Which is really how it was at the time (and still a bit how I feel about what everyone should be ranked).

CFN was and is a suspect ranking. Other "gems" from CFN:

Oklahoma at #10 - this is a travesty, especially considering all the injuries they've suffered. If they lose to Texas this week they'll have three losses. 10th? Let them beat somebody first.

Wisconsin #12 (Ahead of 5-0 Cincy). Yeah, Cincinnati hasn't played anyone yet, but for goodness' sake, having them three spots behind a Wisconsin team that just stunk it up against Ohio State? And the Big 10 in general is pretty weak this year. But somehow a one-loss Wisconsin team nowhere near the top 25 in scoring offense or defense, these guys warrant their 12th spot. Based on what, the quality of their cheese?

CFN is no more realistic than a poll we could draw up here at Huskerboard.