Rank the BIG XII Coaches.

I'm with junior.

1. Bill Snyder (sorry you can't convice me that many coaches could've done what he did back then when the doormats didn't have the advantages of scholarship limits.)

2. Bob Stoops. Guy took the talent there and coached it to a title in 2 years and has pretty much always (with the exception of a few years) been the favorite to win the big 12 since then.

3. Bo Pelini...consistent winner, defensive mastermind able to turn our defense around twice!

4. Mack Brown (hard to even put him here. 1 title and sooooo much bloody talent that always finds a way to play down to it's competition except for one year)

5 & 6. Mark Mangino & Gary Pinkel

7 & 8. Mike Leach, Mike Gundy....flashy offense but no consistency

9, 10 and 11. Toss up btwn Mike Sherman and Art Briles and Paul Rhodes (verdicts still out although they all are making strides)

12. Dan Hawkins....no consistency whatsoever...

I'd say this is pretty close to what I'm thinking. Actually, there's not a single coach on this list IMO that could have pulled off what Snyder pulled off. Here's my list. It's a somewhat different.

1. Snyder. No one manages JuCos as well as he does. It's interesting to note that all other struggling Big 12 teams took a page from his playbook with regards to scheduling extreme patsies in the nonconference to boost team confidence. Heck, Mangino and KU barely even played anyone with a pulse the year they nearly went undefeated.

2. Stoops. It's not because of NC's because he only has one. It's because of the amount of Big 12 titles he's won and BCS bowls he's landed OU into. Can you imagine the wealth of the OU program if it were an independant? Interesting to note that Stoops was once a Snyder assistant.

3. Mangino. It took him a few years, but he's got KU consistantly playing good football. He needs to stress recruiting a bit more and use the strong basketball program more to get better players. As far as I'm concerned the coaches in the 3-10 ranking all have arguments as to why they should be higher or lower than where I have them.

4&5. Mike and Mike (Leach & Gundy) both are great offensive coaches who don't place enough stress on the defensive side of the ball. However, both have shown they can play with and beat the big boys down south.

6, 7, & 8. This is where I'm putting the newcomers Bo included. The reason: how would many of you have ranked the Big 12 coaches with regards to Bill Clownahan after the 2005 season? I mean it appeared we were on our way back and then beating Michigan in the bowl game. I am in no way saying Bo is comparable to Clownahan at all, but I think each of the 3 need to be at their respective schools at least 4 seasons before they can be moved up or down. As far as I'm concerned, these three could all have not rankable beside them because none of them have been at their respective schools long enough to get an accurate ranking.

9 & 10. Mack Brown and Gary Pinkel - Is this too low? Probably. However, I still hold grudges against these two for mistakes in the past. Brown screwed over Major Applewhite. Had he played him, he'd probably have another NC trophy in his case. Pinkel totally messed up with how he played Brad Smith. You don't take the best spread option guy out there and make him a drop back passer. Mack Brown, IMO, underachieves with the talent he gets. Gary Pinkel always seems to do something that makes me just go wow, why? Pinkel has been with his respective school the longest consecutively of the northern schools, yet he has never been able to play with the big boys to the south. Now that it appears Nebraska is on its way back up, the question still lingers whether or not Pinkel can get the recruits he's come accustomed to when Nebraska football was on life support?

11. Mike Sherman - it just smells and looks like another Clownahan experiment down there in Aggieland. IMO, Slocum should never have been forced out. It's been downhill for the program ever since.

12. Dan Hawkins - He got the benefit of the doubt for quite a while. In fact, I thought this year they were a darkhorse to win the northern division. I'm still having trouble determining whether his team is really as slow as West Virginia, Toledo, etc. made them look or if his players just aren't playing for him. Either way, there's big troubles in Boulder especially now after playing their backup QB that was supposed to redshirt this year.

Yeah, but you do remember all the rhetoric though with regards to Callahan don't you? 04' was very poor, but we gave him the benefit of the doubt due to changing offenses. 05' we were 8-4 and beat Michigan in the bowl game. Then, in 06' we represented the north in the Big 12 Championship game. I'm sure given that time frame most NU fans would have put Clownahan in the top 3rd.

I'm with junior.

1. Bill Snyder (sorry you can't convice me that many coaches could've done what he did back then when the doormats didn't have the advantages of scholarship limits.)

2. Bob Stoops. Guy took the talent there and coached it to a title in 2 years and has pretty much always (with the exception of a few years) been the favorite to win the big 12 since then.

3. Bo Pelini...consistent winner, defensive mastermind able to turn our defense around twice!

4. Mack Brown (hard to even put him here. 1 title and sooooo much bloody talent that always finds a way to play down to it's competition except for one year)

5 & 6. Mark Mangino & Gary Pinkel

7 & 8. Mike Leach, Mike Gundy....flashy offense but no consistency

9, 10 and 11. Toss up btwn Mike Sherman and Art Briles and Paul Rhodes (verdicts still out although they all are making strides)

12. Dan Hawkins....no consistency whatsoever...

I completely agree with this on all points. Nice job ;)

Bo Pelini is not a consistent winner. Sorry guys, but time is not his friend here. 1 and a half seasons does not make you a consistent anything when you consider that some other coaches have been coaching for over 25 years.

I was referring to his full coaching career. Especially in the college ranks. Considert the defenses he has been a part of. Sure the 04 OU defense got blown up by the juggernaut USC offense but his LSU defenses were top notch and won a title with that team. He comes here as head coach and has yet to lose a game he's been favored in. How many B12 coaches can say that?

Nice to see Bo getting some respect on college power rankings.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/viewCFSE.asp

Bo Pelini is not a consistent winner. Sorry guys, but time is not his friend here. 1 and a half seasons does not make you a consistent anything when you consider that some other coaches have been coaching for over 25 years.

I was referring to his full coaching career. Especially in the college ranks. Considert the defenses he has been a part of. Sure the 04 OU defense got blown up by the juggernaut USC offense but his LSU defenses were top notch and won a title with that team. He comes here as head coach and has yet to lose a game he's been favored in. How many B12 coaches can say that?

Nice to see Bo getting some respect on college power rankings.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/viewCFSE.asp

With a season plus under his belt, Bo has no "history" yet.

"being part of" someone else's successful program is one thing, being in charge of it is another.

sorry, but head coaches get the glory/blame for a programs success.

not the co-ordinators.

this is his first HEAD coaching gig. now Bo will get the glory/blame for NU football going forward.

let's get a few years down the road and see where the program is.

all those rating Brown down lower than top 2, are insane. Yeah i may have a little bias, but currently Mack Brown has a streak of 19 consecutive winning seasons, 17 straight seasons making a bowl, has not won less than 10 games since 2001 which is the longest active streak of seasons with 10+ wins in the nation. (Stoops has 21 loses since then, Brown only 15) 8-3 in bowl games at Texas, 3-2 at UNC (Stoops 4-6) has not finished lower than #13, Big 12 Conference record 21 consecutive conference wins from 2004–2006, and the only thing Stoops has over him is Big 12 titles.

Just stating an argument for Mack Brown

Let me ask you this about Mack Brown. How many Big 12 Championships does he have? Year in and year out it's hard to argue that Texass doesn't have similar if not better talent than OU, yet they've won just a fraction of the Big 12 Championships of OU under Stoops. Texas has won a whopping ONE Big 12 Championship under Mack. OU on the other hand has won SIX under Stoops. I still say Mack Brown and Gary Pickle find a way year in and year out to do less with more than any other coaches in the conference.

Seriously? Past success means nothing? I guess that's why TO hired him.

past success as a DC meant plenty to TO. obviously, that and the salary constraints applied.

but has little to do with ranking him as a head coach.

want to rank him among the existing b12 coaches or talk about why TO hired him?

I thought this thread was about ranking.

do a search and you'll find plenty of discussion on the hiring process, my own thoughts among them.

BTW- the rankings are opinons and...

opinions vary.

Let me ask you this about Mack Brown. How many Big 12 Championships does he have? Year in and year out it's hard to argue that Texass doesn't have similar if not better talent than OU, yet they've won just a fraction of the Big 12 Championships of OU under Stoops. Texas has won a whopping ONE Big 12 Championship under Mack. OU on the other hand has won SIX under Stoops. I still say Mack Brown and Gary Pickle find a way year in and year out to do less with more than any other coaches in the conference.

With that being said the winner of the O.U. TX game except for last year plays in the Big 12 championship. Since the inception of the Big 12 the Big 12 South Representative has been O.U. or Texas 11 - 13 times. Of the four times the North has won the Championship NU has won it twice. Consistently since the beginning of the league there has been more competition for the Big 12 South Champion than however is the Big 12 North Champion.

I don't get how not winning a Big 12 championship makes him over rated. I'm sure the Texas fan want more championships but he is winning games. People here can say what fans should want but during the Callahan year people still bought tickets, suites, and merchandise and it has been well documented that people were not happy with him.

just a quick thought. If you base Bo being ranked higher than many think he should be only because of what he did as a DC then you must take that same thought with the others. If you look at that list of coaches, you will see that most were pretty darn sucsessful cordinators and assistants before taking a head job

NoKoolAidForME is right. People were talking about consistancy and past history. I was comparing Brown to the other 10 coaches as well. I can understand an argument for Stoops, even Pelini, but to rate the others above him is just arrogance and proves all your opinions about football are bias.

(PS not trying to start sh#t, all this is said calm, lol i know how baords can get.)

And as for stoops big 12 titles, yes he has more and thats why i can see an argument for his sake. But the both have a National Title, something no other coach in the Big 12 currently has as a head coach.